    better copy after getting two with problems? Have others had problems
    with The Frighteners dvd or other dual-sided dvds?

    ar

    alfonso_rabbit, Jan 9, 2006

  2. alfonso_rabbit

    Biz Guest

    If it plays fine on 2 players, its the 3rd player, not the disk....
    6 years old is pushing it for the life of most dvd players used under normal
    circumstances, it might just be wearing out...

    Biz, Jan 9, 2006

  3. alfonso_rabbit

    JMK Guest

    JMK, Jan 9, 2006
  4. alfonso_rabbit

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <Vkjwf.52121$Ou3.26837@dukeread09>,
    alfonso_rabbit <> wrote:

    > I purchased a copy of The Frighteners dvd when it came out. At one point
    > during the main feature, the picture started breaking up and the dvd
    > skipped ahead half a minute or so. There was no visible scratch or dirt
    > on the dvd so I exchanged it for a new copy. The same thing happens in
    > at least two places on the replacement copy on the special features side
    > of the dvd.
    > I tried it in my second dvd player and on my computer and it does not
    > exhibit these problems. I've noticed before that my main dvd player
    > (which is older, 1999 vintage) is a bit more sensitive, but I've never
    > had a problem with a brand new dvd. My question is should I return this
    > again as defective, or is it not truly defective? Am I likely to get a
    > better copy after getting two with problems? Have others had problems
    > with The Frighteners dvd or other dual-sided dvds?
    >
    > ar

    My daughter and I both bought the Frighteners. Her copy exhibited the
    problem that you describe in the feature and also in the second side.
    My copy did not. She returned hers and her new copy was fine (at least
    in those two areas -- I'm not sure that she's seen everything on the
    replacement copy yet.)

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jan 9, 2006
  5. alfonso_rabbit

    Justin Guest

    Biz wrote on [Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:16:15 GMT]:
    > If it plays fine on 2 players, its the 3rd player, not the disk....
    > 6 years old is pushing it for the life of most dvd players used under normal
    > circumstances, it might just be wearing out...

    I dunno, my 6yo player is still working just fine

    Justin, Jan 9, 2006
  6. "alfonso_rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >I purchased a copy of The Frighteners dvd when it came out. At one point
    >during the main feature, the picture started breaking up and the dvd
    >skipped ahead half a minute or so. There was no visible scratch or dirt on
    >the dvd so I exchanged it for a new copy. The same thing happens in at
    >least two places on the replacement copy on the special features side of
    >the dvd.
    > I tried it in my second dvd player and on my computer and it does not
    > exhibit these problems. I've noticed before that my main dvd player (which
    > is older, 1999 vintage) is a bit more sensitive, but I've never had a
    > problem with a brand new dvd. My question is should I return this again as
    > defective, or is it not truly defective? Am I likely to get a better copy
    > after getting two with problems? Have others had problems with The
    > Frighteners dvd or other dual-sided dvds?
    >
    > ar

    My copy would freeze at the layer change. I did a Google search and found
    out others were having a similar problem. It apparently had something to do
    where some of the disks were manufactured. I took my copy back to the store
    for a replacement and the replacement worked fine.

    Arthur Lipscomb, Jan 9, 2006
  7. alfonso_rabbit

    Jason Guest

    My Panasonic DVD-A110 player that I bought in April of 1998 is still
    working fine. I normally use it 4 to 5 days a week.

    Jason

    Jason, Jan 9, 2006
  8. alfonso_rabbit

    Biz Guest

    Did I say all players? Consider yourself lucky, that model died like
    hotcakes in general with spindle motor failures IIRC. Someone always has
    to point out "My old player still works"

    Biz, Jan 9, 2006
  9. alfonso_rabbit

    Bratboy Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > If it plays fine on 2 players, its the 3rd player, not the disk....
    > 6 years old is pushing it for the life of most dvd players used under
    > normal
    > circumstances, it might just be wearing out...
    > "alfonso_rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >> I purchased a copy of The Frighteners dvd when it came out. At one point
    >> during the main feature, the picture started breaking up and the dvd
    >> skipped ahead half a minute or so. There was no visible scratch or dirt
    >> on the dvd so I exchanged it for a new copy. The same thing happens in
    >> at least two places on the replacement copy on the special features side
    >> of the dvd.
    >> I tried it in my second dvd player and on my computer and it does not
    >> exhibit these problems. I've noticed before that my main dvd player
    >> (which is older, 1999 vintage) is a bit more sensitive, but I've never
    >> had a problem with a brand new dvd. My question is should I return this
    >> again as defective, or is it not truly defective? Am I likely to get a
    >> better copy after getting two with problems? Have others had problems
    >> with The Frighteners dvd or other dual-sided dvds?
    >>
    >> ar

    Are you refeering to the Directors cut or the regular one? I don't recall
    any issues when I played my copy a week or 2 ago but I have DC of it and
    maybe that makes a diff?

    Bratboy, Jan 9, 2006
  10. alfonso_rabbit

    Large Farva Guest

    You have a DVD player from 1999? Jesus man, throw that dinosaur in the
    trash. A $59 modern player will be 100 times better.

    If it works on every player just fine EXCEPT for that ONE...well think about
    it.

    Large Farva, Jan 9, 2006
  11. alfonso_rabbit

    Large Farva Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > My Panasonic DVD-A110 player that I bought in April of 1998 is still
    > working fine. I normally use it 4 to 5 days a week.

    My A110...like 90% of the A110's made...died within 2 years. There was a
    class action lawsuit over it.

    Large Farva, Jan 9, 2006
  12. alfonso_rabbit

    Justin Guest

    Large Farva wrote on [Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:31:41 GMT]:
    > You have a DVD player from 1999? Jesus man, throw that dinosaur in the
    > trash. A $59 modern player will be 100 times better.

    Find me a $59 player that will still be running in 6 years and be as
    reliable as my sd-2109

    Justin, Jan 10, 2006
  13. alfonso_rabbit

    Large Farva Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Large Farva wrote on [Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:31:41 GMT]:
    >> You have a DVD player from 1999? Jesus man, throw that dinosaur in the
    >> trash. A $59 modern player will be 100 times better.

    > Find me a $59 player that will still be running in 6 years and be as
    > reliable as my sd-2109

    Take your pick. In 1999 your 2109 was $300. For that same $300 you can buy a
    new $59 player every year for 5 years. The first one will probably last 3
    years at least...giving you 4 backups. You'll probably get 12-15 years out
    of that deal. Plus guess what....if the 2109 were made today it would
    cost.....$59. If not less.

    OR, you could stock up on used 2109's. They go for like $30 now. Wow you
    could buy TEN of them with that $300.

    Large Farva, Jan 10, 2006
  14. alfonso_rabbit

    Justin Guest

    Large Farva wrote on [Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:32:48 GMT]:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> Large Farva wrote on [Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:31:41 GMT]:
    >>> You have a DVD player from 1999? Jesus man, throw that dinosaur in the
    >>> trash. A $59 modern player will be 100 times better.

    >> Find me a $59 player that will still be running in 6 years and be as
    >> reliable as my sd-2109

    > Take your pick. In 1999 your 2109 was $300. For that same $300 you can buy a
    > new $59 player every year for 5 years. The first one will probably last 3
    > years at least...giving you 4 backups. You'll probably get 12-15 years out
    > of that deal. Plus guess what....if the 2109 were made today it would
    > cost.....$59. If not less.

    It would also be made in China and last 3-8 months. It seems from
    reading lots of reviews that most players these days are made in China
    and last under a year. I like not having to rewire my setup every year
    though.

    Justin, Jan 10, 2006
  15. alfonso_rabbit

    GMAN Guest

    In article <2go.com>, Justin <> wrote:
    >Large Farva wrote on [Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:31:41 GMT]:
    >> You have a DVD player from 1999? Jesus man, throw that dinosaur in the
    >> trash. A $59 modern player will be 100 times better.

    >Find me a $59 player that will still be running in 6 years and be as
    >reliable as my sd-2109

    Or my Pioneer 626D

    GMAN, Jan 11, 2006
  16. alfonso_rabbit

    Biz Guest

    Count yourself lucky as my Toshiba SD-3109, the model above the 2109, died
    about 2.5 years ago....I thought the 5 years or so it lasted was more than
    reasonable though. My newer Pioneer players(DV-363, DV-563) are far
    superior in every way at less than half the cost of what I paid for my 3109
    back in the day
    ..

    Biz, Jan 11, 2006