Frigging Power Management

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by LoopBack, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. LoopBack

    LoopBack Guest

    Yesterday I spent a few hours installing XP on a laptop and set about
    down loading all the patches and drivers I needed. On the second
    partition of the machine I intended to stick a Linux distro and so set
    about downloading the DVD ISO for Fedora Core 5. Now knowing this would
    take an hour or so, I figured I'd step out for a bite to eat with my
    good lady.

    On return from a lovely meal, I went to check that the download was
    complete, only to find the machine had powered down into standby.
    MOTHERFU€K£R %#@$ $*#£" #& &^* £$#$$ £&*^

    Even although the user is not there moving the mouse or typing stuff
    in; Why the hell is XP's power management not aware of the fact, the
    network card and hard drive are going ballistic?

    I HATE power management. NEVER turn off my hard drive. I will turn of
    my computer when I am 60D-D@M good and ready! Actually, I hate
    all-things automagic. I hate autostart applications, if I want an
    application to launch; I will launch it.

    But seriously, Microsoft should really review the power management
    stuff. I hope vista fixed this. But I get the impression that it is
    even *more* automagic. I'm yet to find out, because I don't have a
    MSDN subscription, nobody invited me, and I don't believe in pirates.

    None the less, Microsoft has released Windows Vista Beta 2 to the
    peasants. It can be got at via
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/en-gb/preview.mspx . I'm off to
    download the DVD ISO. But first I'm going to throttle that power
    management applet.

    --
    Loop"yes, yes, I know it was my fault"Back
    MCNGP #52
    LoopBack, Jun 15, 2006

  2. LoopBack

    Cerebrus Guest

    Thus spake LoopBack :

    > On return from a lovely meal, I went to check that the download was
    > complete, only to find the machine had powered down into standby.
    > MOTHERFU€K£R %#@$ $*#£" #& &^* £$#$$ £&*^

    Hmm... Happened a few times to me as well. So, I always disable that
    Power Management thingy after a fresh install of XP. BTW, you must have
    *some* internet connection to download a DVD iso in an hour !!! It
    would take me about a month to do the same.<jealous...........grrr...>

    > Even although the user is not there moving the mouse or typing stuff
    > in; Why the hell is XP's power management not aware of the fact, the
    > network card and hard drive are going ballistic?

    Well, maybe XP thinks that the only thing that uses up the power is the
    continually pestering user. The moment the user is away, it breathes a
    sigh of relief and powers down. ;-)

    > and I don't believe in pirates.

    and I don't believe in the Tooth fairy, either.
    Cerebrus, Jun 15, 2006

  3. LoopBack

    Cerebrus Guest

    Thus spake LoopBack :

    Cerebrus, Jun 15, 2006
  4. LoopBack

    LoopBack Guest

    Cerebrus wrote:
    > BTW, you must have
    > *some* internet connection to download a DVD iso in an hour !!! It
    > would take me about a month to do the same.<jealous...........grrr...>

    Takes a wee bit more than that when you fu$k up your power management.

    10Mb unlimited download. :p
    LoopBack, Jun 15, 2006
  5. LoopBack

    LoopBack Guest

    LoopBack, Jun 15, 2006
  6. LoopBack

    JaR Guest

    "LoopBack" <> wrote in news:1150364197.640133.221400
    @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > None the less, Microsoft has released Windows Vista Beta 2 to the
    > peasants. It can be got at via
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/en-gb/preview.mspx . I'm off to
    > download the DVD ISO.

    Hope you don't have a fscking Dull Uninspiron with Intel 845 graphics.

    In fact, your notebook better have a monster video card and a gig of RAM,
    at least. Vista is the worst memory hog I've ever had the misfortune to
    play with. Hopefully this latest beta will be better. I've got it sitting
    at home, but I don't have a machine to load it on.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP #22
    JaR, Jun 15, 2006
  7. LoopBack

    JaR, Jun 15, 2006
  8. LoopBack

    MitchS Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > Hopefully this latest beta will be better. I've got it sitting
    > at home, but I don't have a machine to load it on.

    I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent you.
    It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MitchS, Jun 15, 2006
  9. LoopBack

    MitchS Guest

    MitchS, Jun 15, 2006
  10. LoopBack

    LoopBack Guest

    > Hope you don't have a fscking Dull Uninspiron with Intel 845 graphics.
    >
    > In fact, your notebook better have a monster video card and a gig of RAM,
    > at least. Vista is the worst memory hog I've ever had the misfortune to
    > play with. Hopefully this latest beta will be better. I've got it sitting
    > at home, but I don't have a machine to load it on.
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > MCNGP #22
    > Remove hat to reply
    > Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

    It's a 1.7GHz vaio laptop with an nvidia 6200... not got my hopes up
    though. When I installed XP onto it, with nothing else, it ran so
    sweet. It was lightning quick. Then I installed SP2. :-( Then I
    installed Norton antivirus :-((. Then I installed office :-(((

    I remember when I moved from a 286 running 25MHz with 4Mb to a 450MHz
    Pentium III, with 128Mb of ram. That was the biz, then I installed XP
    :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((

    --
    LoopBack
    MCNGP #52
    LoopBack, Jun 15, 2006
  11. LoopBack

    LoopBack Guest

    LoopBack, Jun 15, 2006
  12. LoopBack

    JaR Guest

    "LoopBack" <> wrote in news:1150387788.247101.55460
    @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    > It's a 1.7GHz vaio laptop with an nvidia 6200... not got my hopes up
    > though.

    I tried installing one of the first builds of Vista on the aforementioned
    Dull. It's a 2.2Ghz Celeron with 768 Megs of RAM. It took a couple of hours
    to install, and then I could't get the video to work. Then I found out that
    neither MS nor Dell was gonna be writing drivers for the Intel 845 video
    chipsets that are in those Ispirons. Maybe I'll win a lottery or something
    and be able to buy a new lappy like the Rev's and put Vista on it;-)

    JaR, Jun 15, 2006
  13. LoopBack

    JaR, Jun 15, 2006
  14. LoopBack

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "MitchS" <> say in

    > I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent you.
    > It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!

    I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz 64Mb Ram,
    4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Does a sysop have to call himself to read his mail?
    Neil, Jun 15, 2006
  15. LoopBack

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "MitchS" <> say in

    Neil, Jun 15, 2006
  16. LoopBack

    JaR Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in

    >> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent
    >> you. It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!
    >>

    > I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz 64Mb
    > Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

    Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of RAM
    and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl 12"
    monochrome monitor for it

    JaR, Jun 15, 2006
  17. LoopBack

    JaR, Jun 15, 2006
  18. LoopBack

    Neil Guest

    did you hear JaR <> say in

    > Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >>> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent
    >>> you. It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!
    >>>

    >> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz
    >> 64Mb Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

    > Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of
    > RAM and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl
    > 12" monochrome monitor for it

    I WILL NOT DIG OUT MY CHOPAQ PORTABLE DUAL FLOUPY JUST TO MAKE YOU
    HAPPY!! (it has a lovely AST 6pak card in it)

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Shh! I have to use my incomplete, divided attention here.
    Neil, Jun 15, 2006
  19. LoopBack

    Neil, Jun 15, 2006
  20. LoopBack

    JaR Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns97E3957F28573neilmcsegmailcom@
    207.46.248.16:

    >>> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz
    >>> 64Mb Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

    >> Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of
    >> RAM and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl
    >> 12" monochrome monitor for it
    >>

    > I WILL NOT DIG OUT MY CHOPAQ PORTABLE DUAL FLOUPY JUST TO MAKE YOU
    > HAPPY!! (it has a lovely AST 6pak card in it)

    I woulda had you beat, but my first computer got chopped up for firewood
    one night when it got real cold and the mainspring froze and we couldn't
    afford more kerosene for the monitor anyway. Back in those days we useta
    have to carve our own RAM outta big hunks of silicon that were dug up and
    shipped in from that there valley in California, and we ripped our
    floppies outta a Sears catalog.

    JaR, Jun 15, 2006