Friend's hard drive is running slow

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I received e-mail from a friend this morning. He said his computer is "slow
    and grinding" these days. He forwarded an ad for NortonLive PC Power Boost
    and wanted to know if I thought that would work. Well, I don't know
    anything about that particular product, but I do know that I now avoid
    anything from Norton/Symantec like the plague. Still, what could I do to
    help him?

    He does not download programs, as far as I know. (I'll know more after I go
    over to his house to check.) He does basic wordprocessing (WordPerfect), a
    lot of e-mail, and surfs the Internet. That's about it. He has Vista.
    Again, I'm not sure which version, but I would guess that it's an OEM
    version of Vista Home Premium. I think his computer is about 3 years old.

    When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck, and I will also use
    Internet Options under IE to delete temporary files, cookies, etc. I know
    he has a virus checker, but I suspect it is Norton. That is an obvious
    starting place. I will also check to see if he has anything to check for
    sypware. Other than that, what can I do to help him? And do you have any
    specific suggestions as to which programs I should use for checking his
    system? I have used Avast! and AVG Free. I liked AVG but eventually gave
    up on it when I went through a period where they were going through some
    sort of "transition" period that made using it more awkward (at least, for
    me). That may have improved by now. I am currently using TrendMicro but
    will probably look into those two programs again for myself when my one-year
    with TrendMicro has expired.

    Thanks,
    MaryL
    MaryL, Dec 4, 2008

  2. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

    > When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck,
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    Ooops! I will run chkdsk, not "syscheck." Another senior moment, I guess.

    MaryL
    MaryL, Dec 4, 2008

  3. "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> propogated this using

    > "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
    >>
    >> When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck,
    >> Thanks,
    >> MaryL

    > Ooops! I will run chkdsk, not "syscheck." Another senior moment, I
    > guess.
    >
    > MaryL

    Ginkgo-Biloba

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba

    Google for the sales in your locale

    HTH

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got the Christmas Spirit! <(*(}^%{>~*

    Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous Holiday Season! Yes, even
    to the degenerate PCs and MACs because peace is what the baby
    Jesus would want under his Christmas tree - and Tonka Toys too!
    What-up with all this gold, frankincense and myrrh crap? It's like
    getting underwear, pajamas, and toothbrushes - all wrapped up. WTF?!?!

    http://kitty-pron.notlong.com/

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 4, 2008
  4. MaryL wrote:

    > I received e-mail from a friend this morning. He said his computer is "slow
    > and grinding" these days.

    Frequently, the cause of "became slow" is malware. Perhaps he is now
    part of a Russian bot-net, and the PC is busily spewing fifty thousand
    spam messages every day.

    > He forwarded an ad for NortonLive PC Power Boost and wanted to know if
    > I thought that would work.

    Is he on broadband? (so are millions of other Windows users in those
    bot-nets)

    > a lot of e-mail,

    Outlook Express? How large are his mail files? There is a limit (I'd
    have to look it up) and the program bogs down, and trashes the files.

    > He has Vista. Again, I'm not sure which version, but I would guess
    > that it's an OEM version of Vista Home Premium. I think his computer
    > is about 3 years old.

    Vista's been out for two years. <g>

    > When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck, and I will also use
    > Internet Options under IE to delete temporary files, cookies, etc. I know
    > he has a virus checker, but I suspect it is Norton. ...

    Check free drive space. Check the Norton for current license.

    Run these two programs:
    SUPERAntiSpyware for home use: http://superantispyware.com/
    MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for home use: http://malwarebytes.org/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 4, 2008
  5. "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> propogated this
    using the news:49381170$0$5465$:

    > Re: Friend's hard drive is running slow

    Is your friend from Nairobi?

    Well, you'd better hurry up and catch it before it speeds up.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got the Christmas Spirit! <(*(}^%{>~*

    Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous Holiday Season! Yes, even
    to the degenerate A-types and retards because peace is what the baby

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 4, 2008