Friedkin's "Sorcerer" OAR DVD release?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Arminio Grgic, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Anhbody knows is there any DVD release of Friedkin's "Sorcerer" in
    original 1:66.1 format?

    I read a lot reviews and comment about current release and about it
    being open-matte etc. but current DVD release is NOT open matte - it
    IS PAN&SCAN!
    That is proven by introduction message that clearly states that DVD
    ascpet ratios is modified to fit screen + introduction credits are
    squished in anamorphic format so letters won't drop out from screen
    (whil eother part of film is not) + it can't be mated to any
    widescreen format without removing text that is occasional shown in
    bottom of screen ("hardocded" subtitles on spanish speaking pats and
    names of places) + in lot of scenes actors on left/right screen
    border are partialy missing...
    So, this is not open mate as lot of people stated - it is P&S or,
    worse, cropped from 1:66.1 to 1:33.1 !

    Now, is there any OAR release - official on nonofficial? I really
    desperatelly want OAR version of this film so if someone maybe have
    some LD (which is in OAR 1:66.1) to DVD copy or anything, please
    contact me via mail.

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.

    Arminio Grgic, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Arminio Grgic

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Arminio Grgic" <> wrote in message
    > Anhbody knows is there any DVD release of Friedkin's "Sorcerer" in
    > original 1:66.1 format?

    At present, no.

    > I read a lot reviews and comment about current release and about it
    > being open-matte etc. but current DVD release is NOT open matte - it
    > IS PAN&SCAN!
    > That is proven by introduction message that clearly states that DVD
    > ascpet ratios is modified to fit screen

    I can't say about this disc specifically, but that message does not
    prove anything on its own. The "modified to fit your screen" message is
    used for any aspect ratio change, including open-matte.

    The other points you mention do make it sound like it is probably
    cropped.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 21, 2004

  3. On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:57:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >I can't say about this disc specifically, but that message does not
    >prove anything on its own. The "modified to fit your screen" message is
    >used for any aspect ratio change, including open-matte.

    Yes. But in this case, it is obvious that it is cropped ... :(((

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.
    From Dale's Movie Page at

    Arminio Grgic, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Arminio Grgic

    The General Guest

    > Anhbody knows is there any DVD release of Friedkin's "Sorcerer" in
    > original 1:66.1 format?
    >
    > I read a lot reviews and comment about current release and about it
    > being open-matte etc. but current DVD release is NOT open matte - it
    > IS PAN&SCAN!
    > That is proven by introduction message that clearly states that DVD
    > ascpet ratios is modified to fit screen + introduction credits are
    > squished in anamorphic format so letters won't drop out from screen
    > (whil eother part of film is not) + it can't be mated to any
    > widescreen format without removing text that is occasional shown in
    > bottom of screen ("hardocded" subtitles on spanish speaking pats and
    > names of places) + in lot of scenes actors on left/right screen
    > border are partialy missing...
    > So, this is not open mate as lot of people stated - it is P&S or,
    > worse, cropped from 1:66.1 to 1:33.1 !
    >
    > Now, is there any OAR release - official on nonofficial? I really
    > desperatelly want OAR version of this film so if someone maybe have
    > some LD (which is in OAR 1:66.1) to DVD copy or anything, please
    > contact me via mail.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    From Roger Avary's webpage, on his meeting with William Friedkin, watching
    SCORCERER and discussing it afterwards:

    "We also discussed the choice to only release a full frame format of the
    film on DVD. To my horror, I realized that it is actually a pan & scan
    version of the film, not full frame. Friedkin, like my mother, thinks that
    he's losing real estate on his television when he includes the 1.85
    matting."

    http://www.avary.com/rogeravary/journal/archive/2004_05_01_journalarchive.ph

    The General, Jun 22, 2004
  5. On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:28:00 -0700, "The General" <>
    wrote:

    >From Roger Avary's webpage, on his meeting with William Friedkin, watching
    >SCORCERER and discussing it afterwards:

    "We were treated to a new print of William Friedkin's incredible, and
    underappreciated, masterpiece "Sorcerer" -- "

    Does this means that new release is planned?
    Would be GREAT!

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.
    From Dale's Movie Page at

    Arminio Grgic, Jun 23, 2004