Fried my CPU

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jsema, Jan 7, 2009.

  1. jsema

    jsema Guest

    Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz
    Memory =Kingston PC2 240 pin 2 1gbs non ecc unbuffered Dimm installed
    in dimm slots A1&B1
    Power supply =500w
    The cooler fan & heat sink came with the cpu.It is one of those push pin
    things (I hate)(applied artic ice to cpu).I'm extremely nervous about it
    being secure so I tugged on it several times to be sure it was tight.pluged
    it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).With one finger on the power
    supply off switch I pushed the start button on the case (cpu fan started).&
    a puff of smoke came out instantly pushed the off button on power
    supplyAfter my heart attack was over I
    got to thinking that maybe I had applied to much goop on the cpu & it had
    just burned off so so I went thru the steps again and this time the cpu &
    case fan spun for a few seconds & then quit I have done this several times &
    it is the same each time so I have concluded my $130 cpu is gone.None of the
    power plugs can be put in wrong so the only thing I can think of is the
    heatsink on the cooler was not in proper contact with the cpu.I think the
    mb is ok since the green light comes on
    each time.I would appreciate any thoughts,help or info as to what might have
    happened.
    Thanks
    jsema, Jan 7, 2009

  2. jsema

    jsema Guest

    I really don't know how to tell if it is properly seated because I thought
    it.Any suggestions ?

    jsema, Jan 7, 2009

  3. jsema

    Buffalo Guest

    jsema wrote:
    > Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    > Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    > Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    > Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz
    > Memory =Kingston PC2 240 pin 2 1gbs non ecc unbuffered Dimm
    > installed in dimm slots A1&B1
    > Power supply =500w
    > The cooler fan & heat sink came with the cpu.It is one of those push
    > pin things (I hate)(applied artic ice to cpu).I'm extremely nervous
    > about it being secure so I tugged on it several times to be sure it
    > was tight.pluged it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).With
    > one finger on the power supply off switch I pushed the start button
    > on the case (cpu fan started).& a puff of smoke came out instantly
    > pushed the off button on power supplyAfter my heart attack was over I
    > got to thinking that maybe I had applied to much goop on the cpu & it
    > had just burned off so so I went thru the steps again and this time
    > the cpu & case fan spun for a few seconds & then quit I have done
    > this several times & it is the same each time so I have concluded my
    > $130 cpu is gone.None of the power plugs can be put in wrong so the
    > only thing I can think of is the heatsink on the cooler was not in
    > proper contact with the cpu.I think the mb is ok since the green
    > light comes on
    > each time.I would appreciate any thoughts,help or info as to what
    > might have happened.
    > Thanks

    It probably did fry, but just for the heck of it, look to make sure the
    voltage switch on the back of the PSU is set to the proper voltage
    (115v-230v). If it is set to the wrong voltage, sometimes you get a second
    of two of fan operation and then it quits.
    Also, when applying heat sink paste, you don't want to use too much. All the
    paste does is fill in the tiny imperfections on the surface of the cpu and
    the surface of the heatsink. If the two surfaces were perfectly flat and
    honed to perfection, you wouldn't even need any paste.
    Google for how to apply hs paste and also how to check for proper fit.
    Buffalo, Jan 7, 2009
  4. "jsema" <> wrote in message
    > Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    > Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    > Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    > Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz
    > Memory =Kingston PC2 240 pin 2 1gbs non ecc unbuffered Dimm
    > installed in dimm slots A1&B1
    > Power supply =500w
    > The cooler fan & heat sink came with the cpu.It is one of those push pin
    > things (I hate)(applied artic ice to cpu).I'm extremely nervous about it
    > being secure so I tugged on it several times to be sure it was
    > tight.pluged it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).With one
    > finger on the power supply off switch I pushed the start button on the
    > case (cpu fan started).& a puff of smoke came out instantly pushed the
    > off button on power supplyAfter my heart attack was over I
    > got to thinking that maybe I had applied to much goop on the cpu & it had
    > just burned off so so I went thru the steps again and this time the cpu &
    > case fan spun for a few seconds & then quit I have done this several times
    > & it is the same each time so I have concluded my $130 cpu is gone.None of
    > the power plugs can be put in wrong so the only thing I can think of is
    > the heatsink on the cooler was not in proper contact with the cpu.I
    > think the mb is ok since the green light comes on
    > each time.I would appreciate any thoughts,help or info as to what might
    > have happened.
    > Thanks

    It's virtually impossible to fry an Intel CPU by overheating it.
    Look elsewhere for your problem.
    Green light of no, it's possible you fried the motherboard.
    The Processor Timer chip isn't seeing a "Power Good" signal from the power
    supply and is resetting the CPU.

    Colon Terminus, Jan 7, 2009
  5. jsema

    Peeassha Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in message
    > Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    > Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    > Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    > Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz
    > Memory =Kingston PC2 240 pin 2 1gbs non ecc unbuffered Dimm
    > installed in dimm slots A1&B1
    > Power supply =500w
    > The cooler fan & heat sink came with the cpu.It is one of those push pin
    > things (I hate)(applied artic ice to cpu).I'm extremely nervous about it
    > being secure so I tugged on it several times to be sure it was
    > tight.pluged it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).With one
    > finger on the power supply off switch I pushed the start button on the
    > case (cpu fan started).& a puff of smoke came out instantly pushed the
    > off button on power supplyAfter my heart attack was over I
    > got to thinking that maybe I had applied to much goop on the cpu & it had
    > just burned off so so I went thru the steps again and this time the cpu &
    > case fan spun for a few seconds & then quit I have done this several times
    > & it is the same each time so I have concluded my $130 cpu is gone.None of
    > the power plugs can be put in wrong so the only thing I can think of is
    > the heatsink on the cooler was not in proper contact with the cpu.I
    > think the mb is ok since the green light comes on
    > each time.I would appreciate any thoughts,help or info as to what might
    > have happened.
    > Thanks

    The cpu must be less than 3 years old right? Did you keep the box the cpu
    came in? That's what i thought. In the future always keep the box the cpu
    came in and ship the cpu in the original box back to intel for either a
    refund or replacement cpu.
    Peeassha, Jan 7, 2009
  6. jsema

    Peeassha Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message
    > "jsema" <> wrote in message
    >> Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    >> Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    >> Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    >> Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz
    >> Memory =Kingston PC2 240 pin 2 1gbs non ecc unbuffered Dimm
    >> installed in dimm slots A1&B1
    >> Power supply =500w
    >> The cooler fan & heat sink came with the cpu.It is one of those push pin
    >> things (I hate)(applied artic ice to cpu).I'm extremely nervous about it
    >> being secure so I tugged on it several times to be sure it was
    >> tight.pluged it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).With one
    >> finger on the power supply off switch I pushed the start button on the
    >> case (cpu fan started).& a puff of smoke came out instantly pushed the
    >> off button on power supplyAfter my heart attack was over I
    >> got to thinking that maybe I had applied to much goop on the cpu & it had
    >> just burned off so so I went thru the steps again and this time the cpu &
    >> case fan spun for a few seconds & then quit I have done this several
    >> times & it is the same each time so I have concluded my $130 cpu is
    >> gone.None of the power plugs can be put in wrong so the only thing I can
    >> think of is the heatsink on the cooler was not in proper contact with
    >> the cpu.I think the mb is ok since the green light comes on
    >> each time.I would appreciate any thoughts,help or info as to what might
    >> have happened.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > It's virtually impossible to fry an Intel CPU by overheating it.
    > Look elsewhere for your problem.
    > Green light of no, it's possible you fried the motherboard.
    > The Processor Timer chip isn't seeing a "Power Good" signal from the power
    > supply and is resetting the CPU.

    > Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

    Maybe we'll get lucky and Chuckcar will answer his question.
    Peeassha, Jan 7, 2009
  7. jsema

    Buffalo Guest

    Peeassha wrote:

    > The cpu must be less than 3 years old right? Did you keep the box the
    > cpu came in? That's what i thought. In the future always keep the box
    > the cpu came in and ship the cpu in the original box back to intel
    > for either a refund or replacement cpu.

    Don't Intel cpu's have a temp guard in them? Maybe the new ones don't.
    Buffalo, Jan 7, 2009
  8. jsema

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in message
    >I really don't know how to tell if it is properly seated because I thought
    >it.Any suggestions ?
    >

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "jsema" <> wrote in message
    >>> Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    >>> Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    >>> Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    >>> Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz
    >>> Memory =Kingston PC2 240 pin 2 1gbs non ecc unbuffered Dimm
    >>> installed in dimm slots A1&B1
    >>> Power supply =500w
    >>> The cooler fan & heat sink came with the cpu.It is one of those push pin
    >>> things (I hate)(applied artic ice to cpu).I'm extremely nervous about it
    >>> being secure so I tugged on it several times to be sure it was
    >>> tight.pluged it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).

    >snip<

    It's been awhile, but is there more than one header the cpu cooler could
    reach & connect to? And does ONLY ONE of them actually designate itself as
    THE cpu-fan-header? You'll get that few seconds run time symptom in such a
    scenario. Luck, s
    sdlomi2, Jan 8, 2009
  9. jsema

    Leythos Guest

    In article <HY49l.13592$>,
    says...
    > Am trying to put together new system.Here is what I have
    > Mother board=Asus P5QL Pro Socket LGA 775
    > Graphics card=Asus EAH4650 512mb on board
    > Processor =Intel duo processor E7300 2.66ghz

    [snip]
    > it in & the green light on the mb came on(joy).With one finger on the power
    > supply off switch I pushed the start button on the case (cpu fan started).&
    > a puff of smoke came out instantly pushed the off button on power
    > supplyAfter my heart attack was over I

    [snip]

    First, Intel CPUS, for a LONG TIME, have had thermal protection - you
    can run them without a Heat Sink and they will just shutdown, never seen
    one smoke.

    If you saw smoke out of the CPU then you did something else wrong,
    shorted a wire someplace, etc...

    If the smoke was from the CPU Fan, replace the fan, but you may have
    fried a trace on the motherboard that runs to the fan connector.

    If you put too much heat-sink paste on the CPU/Heat-Sink then you didn't
    follow directions on how to use it - rarely do they cause a short in the
    CPU that actually causes damage.

    You need to determine where the smoke actually came from.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Jan 8, 2009
  10. jsema

    elaich Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in news:HY49l.13592$c45.8738
    @nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > the only thing I can think of is the
    > heatsink on the cooler was not in proper contact with the cpu

    You saw an instant puff of smoke. No way the heat sink caused that. It
    takes time for heat to build up. You screwed something else up.
    elaich, Jan 8, 2009