Fried Laptop Help!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ab, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. ab

    ab Guest

    My brother must have fried his laptop the other day. He was forced to use
    one of those three prong to 2 prong ac adapters to use his laptop on ac. Now
    it will not boot up, and there is a smell of overheating.

    May be a stupid question, but is it always death to a computer to plug it's
    3 prong ac cable into a 2 way? How about using a three prong and an
    extension cord?

    Also can where and how you plug in the modem cause a problem such as this?
    For instance if you are forced to use a telephone cable extension to reach
    the telephone wall outlet.

    I know this all sounds a bit strange, but he just starting using a laptop
    and in his travels has to rely on all manner of power and modem plugin
    sites.

    All help Appreciated.

    I'm gonna stick with my desktop.

    AB

    ab, Jul 3, 2004

  2. ab

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "ab" <> wrote in

    > My brother must have fried his laptop the other day. He was forced to
    > use one of those three prong to 2 prong ac adapters to use his laptop
    > on ac. Now it will not boot up, and there is a smell of overheating.

    I doubt the two were directly related.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 3, 2004

  3. ab

    Ashton Fagg Guest

    yes it would fry the power supply because there is a difference in the
    voltage coming in to the power supply to what it can actually take. An
    extension won't make a difference becase it doen't alter the voltage. Using
    a 3 prong phone jack won't make any difference. I sugest repalcing the
    laptop.

    Hope that helps:)

    Ashton Fagg, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Ashton Fagg wrote:
    > yes it would fry the power supply

    .... wrote the fucktard who can't use a search engine.

    Ashton Fagg, the mouldy, swerving clotpole, Jul 4, 2004