    For the record, it's an AMD 1Ghz machine, with a 230W supply.

    Thanks,

    Stuart
    Stuart, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Stuart

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:50:01 +1300, "Stuart"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi y'all,
    >
    >A friend said one day when he turned his computer on there were sparks and
    >smoke. We opened it up and replaced the power supply with one that was known
    >to be good (the old one smelt terrible), but the computer still doesn't fire
    >up
    >
    >Is it possible that the motherboard (and perhaps everything else) is fried?
    >Should I try anything else before we start swapping parts?
    >
    >For the record, it's an AMD 1Ghz machine, with a 230W supply.

    It's worth checking the power lead.

    JJD
    JJD, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Stuart

    Rider Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > Hi y'all,
    >
    > A friend said one day when he turned his computer on there were sparks and
    > smoke. We opened it up and replaced the power supply with one that was

    known
    > to be good (the old one smelt terrible), but the computer still doesn't

    fire
    > up
    >
    > Is it possible that the motherboard (and perhaps everything else) is

    fried?
    > Should I try anything else before we start swapping parts?
    >
    > For the record, it's an AMD 1Ghz machine, with a 230W supply.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stuart

    Its hard to know what exactly has been damaged from a visual inspection.
    Look for capacitors on the motherboard that have either leaked out the
    bottom, or blown their tops. If none of that is visible, remove all the
    cards and IDE devices so you just have the RAM and video card (you need to
    be able to see) and see if it boots up. If it does, start adding back all
    the other devices one by one starting with the ide devices like the hdd and
    cd-rom, until it stops booting up.

    If the pc wont boot with just video card and RAM in it, its a good bet the
    motherboard is toast. Good luck.

    Rider
    Rider, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Stuart

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > Hi y'all,
    >
    > A friend said one day when he turned his computer on there were sparks and
    > smoke. We opened it up and replaced the power supply with one that was known
    > to be good (the old one smelt terrible), but the computer still doesn't fire
    > up
    >
    > Is it possible that the motherboard (and perhaps everything else) is fried?
    > Should I try anything else before we start swapping parts?

    They seldom work after you've released the magic smoke.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Stuart

    M Guest

    Its a chance when the power supply goes....

    Sometimes you strike it lucky, sometimes you dont. Switch mode supplies can
    fail in a way they throw high frequency ac or even overvoltage into your
    mobo, depending on design and how it fails.

    The last machine I replaced only had working memory, keboard and mouse. HDD,
    CDROM, Mobo and PCI card all dead.

    M, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Stuart

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi y'all,
    >
    >A friend said one day when he turned his computer on there were sparks and
    >smoke. We opened it up and replaced the power supply with one that was known
    >to be good (the old one smelt terrible), but the computer still doesn't fire
    >up
    >
    >Is it possible that the motherboard (and perhaps everything else) is fried?
    >Should I try anything else before we start swapping parts?
    >
    >For the record, it's an AMD 1Ghz machine, with a 230W supply.

    When that happened to me, (a cheap quality 230W PSU) the mobo was
    damaged, but nothing you could see physically. Fortunately the video
    card, hard drive, sound card, TV card, hard drive controller card, DVD
    drive and CD burner survived. I don't know if the CPU is OK because I
    got a completely new mobo and CPU.
    GraB, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Re: Fried Computer__ With ot without Chips..???

    On 06 Dec 2003, Gregory Parker wrote

    > [blank post]

    Yet another in a long list of content-free, intelligence-free, witless
    posts from intelligence-free, witless poster Roger Sheppard.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Re: Fried Computer__ With ot without Chips..???

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:16:38 +0000, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > Yet another in a long list of content-free, intelligence-free, witless
    > posts from intelligence-free, witless poster Roger Sheppard.

    And yet another content free followup from Nicolaas.

    FFS, just killfile the senile twat and be done with it.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Stuart

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:16:38 +0000, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >> Yet another in a long list of content-free, intelligence-free,
    >> witless posts from intelligence-free, witless poster Roger Sheppard.

    > And yet another content free followup from Nicolaas.
    >
    > FFS, just killfile the senile twat and be done with it.

    I agree. I don't like killfiles in principal but feel forced into it by the
    sheppard. If people would stop answering his blatant attempts at trolling it
    would seriously improve the s/n ratio in this NG.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Thanks to everybody that replied. The power lead is good (the monitor turns
    on fine using it), and I doubt he's insured (students can rarely afford such
    luxuries), so we'll start the swapping sometime when we've both got time.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Stuart

    ? Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > Hi y'all,
    >
    > A friend said one day when he turned his computer on there were sparks and
    > smoke. We opened it up and replaced the power supply with one that was

    known
    > to be good (the old one smelt terrible), but the computer still doesn't

    fire
    > up
    >
    > Is it possible that the motherboard (and perhaps everything else) is

    fried?
    > Should I try anything else before we start swapping parts?
    >
    > For the record, it's an AMD 1Ghz machine, with a 230W supply.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stuart

    Believe it or not this is likely to be covered under insurance if he has it
    as it is classed as a sudden event.
    If he's lucky the only other dead component could be the mobo, if not there
    is a good chance its
    fried virtually everything and if some items still go now, they may not in 3
    months time.
    Look for swollen, leaking or popped capacitors on the board as a starting
    point.
    The only other option is to test the other components in a known working
    machine or tell him to contact
    his insurance company to get it assessed.

    HTH
    ?, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Re: Fried Computer__ With ot without Chips..???

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:55:04 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:

    >Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:16:38 +0000, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yet another in a long list of content-free, intelligence-free,
    >>> witless posts from intelligence-free, witless poster Roger Sheppard.

    >> And yet another content free followup from Nicolaas.
    >>
    >> FFS, just killfile the senile twat and be done with it.

    >I agree. I don't like killfiles in principal but feel forced into it by the
    >sheppard. If people would stop answering his blatant attempts at trolling it
    >would seriously improve the s/n ratio in this NG.

    Lighted up and smell the Roses, Usenet is Fun so treat it like that
    Gregory Parker, Dec 7, 2003
  13. Stuart

    Bret Guest

    Re: Fried Computer__ With ot without Chips..???

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:34:15 +1300, Gregory Parker
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:55:04 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    >>> And yet another content free followup from Nicolaas.
    >>>
    >>> FFS, just killfile the senile twat and be done with it.

    >>I agree. I don't like killfiles in principal but feel forced into it by the
    >>sheppard. If people would stop answering his blatant attempts at trolling it
    >>would seriously improve the s/n ratio in this NG.

    >Lighted up and smell the Roses, Usenet is Fun so treat it like that

    So when you complain about being abused, you are speaking toungue in
    cheek and are having fun?
    Bret, Dec 7, 2003
  14. Stuart

    Don Hills Guest

    Re: Fried Computer__ With ot without Chips..???

    In article <>,
    Gregory Parker <> wrote:

    >Lighted up and smell the Roses, Usenet is Fun so treat it like that

    You smoke Roses? That explains a lot.

    Don Hills, Dec 8, 2003
  15. Re: Fried Computer__ With ot without Chips..???

    On 08 Dec 2003, Don Hills wrote

    > In article <>,
    > Gregory Parker <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lighted up and smell the Roses, Usenet is Fun so treat it like that

    > You smoke Roses? That explains a lot.

    The question is, what of Rose's does he smoke?

    Second thoughts - don't tell me, I don't think I want to know!

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - Don't rush me, I get paid by the hour.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 8, 2003
  16. Stuart

    Steven H Guest

    Re: Fried Computer - Insurance

    In article <bqtme6$edm$>,
    ernz says...
    > Thanks to everybody that replied. The power lead is good (the monitor turns
    > on fine using it), and I doubt he's insured (students can rarely afford such
    > luxuries), so we'll start the swapping sometime when we've both got time.

    how exactly is insurance a "luxurie" - it costs **** all for minimal
    coverage ~120 per year for ~10,000 cover (this includes liabilaty which
    is extremly important).

    Steven H
    Steven H, Dec 9, 2003
  17. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bqtme6$edm$>,
    > ernz says...
    > > Thanks to everybody that replied. The power lead is good (the monitor

    turns
    > > on fine using it), and I doubt he's insured (students can rarely afford

    such
    > > luxuries), so we'll start the swapping sometime when we've both got

    time.

    > how exactly is insurance a "luxurie" - it costs **** all for minimal
    > coverage ~120 per year for ~10,000 cover (this includes liabilaty which
    > is extremly important).

    Have you ever been a student? ;-)

    Stuart
    Stuart, Dec 9, 2003
  18. Stuart

    Worm Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > > how exactly is insurance a "luxurie" - it costs **** all for minimal
    > > coverage ~120 per year for ~10,000 cover (this includes liabilaty which
    > > is extremly important).

    > Have you ever been a student? ;-)

    I *am* a student. And I have all my contents insured.

    "Ohhh, could you afford to live off $150 a week?" is the usual shit we hear.
    Get a fucking job if you want some decent cash, is my reply. I live
    entirely on a part time job, have money left over for such "luxuries" and a
    few drunken outings too.

    "But I need to concentrate on study" - bullshit is my reply..! In the "real
    world" (though I'm just guessing here), there's more than one demand pulling
    on you at one time. May as well get used to it now..!

    Worm
    Worm, Dec 9, 2003
  19. Stuart

    Steven H Guest

    Re: Fried Computer - Insurance

    In article <br40ng$prp$>,
    ernz says...

    > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <bqtme6$edm$>,
    > > ernz says...
    > > > Thanks to everybody that replied. The power lead is good (the monitor

    > turns
    > > > on fine using it), and I doubt he's insured (students can rarely afford

    > such
    > > > luxuries), so we'll start the swapping sometime when we've both got

    > time.
    > >
    > > how exactly is insurance a "luxurie" - it costs **** all for minimal
    > > coverage ~120 per year for ~10,000 cover (this includes liabilaty which
    > > is extremly important).

    > Have you ever been a student? ;-)

    I AM a fucking student

    Second Year B.I.T. at Otago Polytechnic

    paying $5 per week for $25,000 worth of insurance is **** All - nobody -
    not even students can bitch about not being able to afford it.

    it comes down to how much you want to risk it - and for a student in
    rented student acomidation you are risking a hell of a lot if you dont
    have insurance. all it takes is your stonner flatmate to have a munchies
    fry up and burn the place down and make YOU liable for the bill.

    it has happened and it will happen again

    Steven H
    Steven H, Dec 9, 2003
  20. Stuart

    Rider Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > In article <br40ng$prp$>,
    > ernz says...
    > >
    > > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <bqtme6$edm$>,
    > > > ernz says...

    monitor
    > > turns

    afford
    > > such

    > > time.
    > > >
    > > > how exactly is insurance a "luxurie" - it costs **** all for minimal
    > > > coverage ~120 per year for ~10,000 cover (this includes liabilaty

    which
    > > > is extremly important).

    > > Have you ever been a student? ;-)

    > I AM a fucking student

    Potty mouth :p

    > Second Year B.I.T. at Otago Polytechnic
    >
    > paying $5 per week for $25,000 worth of insurance is **** All - nobody -
    > not even students can bitch about not being able to afford it.
    >
    > it comes down to how much you want to risk it - and for a student in
    > rented student acomidation you are risking a hell of a lot if you dont
    > have insurance. all it takes is your stonner flatmate to have a munchies
    > fry up and burn the place down and make YOU liable for the bill.

    Thats what you get for living with people who do drugs. Your choice ... your
    risk.

    Rider, Dec 9, 2003