Fried Another Power Supply Box

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paminifarm, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Paminifarm

    Paminifarm Guest

    Hello,
    When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
    I took it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
    Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes up.
    I take it to Rita she "fixes" it.
    Back home i click in a large image and the computer freezes up.
    I take the computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing
    wrong with the computer.
    Back home i fire up computer; the little green light on the
    front comes on but that is all it will do.
    Computer back to Rita, who says power supply is fried.
    Rita said there is something wrong with my wall socket
    where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years,
    and that i should try the computer in a different room.
    I will be going to get the computer in about an hour;
    bring it home and do as adviced, however i will click
    on a large image and i am sure the computer will freeze
    up. The computer seems to be running too fast and/or the
    mouse is running too fast. Does this ring a bell
    for anyone?
    Comp USA: about $150.00
    Rita: $40.00
    Rita:$70.00
    Old 'puter and i have been together for too long now
    for me to give up on it - can it be fixed?

    Paminifarm, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Paminifarm

    Old Gringo Guest

    Paminifarm wrote:
    > Hello,
    > When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
    > I took it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
    > Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes up.
    > I take it to Rita she "fixes" it.
    > Back home i click in a large image and the computer freezes up.
    > I take the computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing
    > wrong with the computer.
    > Back home i fire up computer; the little green light on the
    > front comes on but that is all it will do.
    > Computer back to Rita, who says power supply is fried.
    > Rita said there is something wrong with my wall socket
    > where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years,
    > and that i should try the computer in a different room.
    > I will be going to get the computer in about an hour;
    > bring it home and do as adviced, however i will click
    > on a large image and i am sure the computer will freeze
    > up. The computer seems to be running too fast and/or the
    > mouse is running too fast. Does this ring a bell
    > for anyone?
    > Comp USA: about $150.00
    > Rita: $40.00
    > Rita:$70.00
    > Old 'puter and i have been together for too long now
    > for me to give up on it - can it be fixed?

    I think in the computer world a 7 year old computer is an Antique.
    You have spent enough on it already to replace it with something
    quite adequate. You can love the old one as much sitting in a closet
    as you can on your desk top not working. Anyway good luck with what
    ever you may decide.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Paminifarm

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paminifarm wrote:
    > Comp USA: about $150.00
    > Rita: $40.00
    > Rita:$70.00

    On sale at Fry's today, $179, internet ready in ATX case, Athlon XP
    1800+, 128 meg, 40 gb hdd, 50x cdrom, mobo integrated graphics, nic,
    modem, usb, complete with OS [Linspire, not win] - the GQ 3101, similar
    to this 3111 [2000+] at outpost but without the shipping
    http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4199403

    Not exactly state of the art or tricked out, but $180 much better spent
    than working on that old box. Walmart often has similar deals.

    Install your favorite OS if you don't want the Linspire.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Paminifarm

    Paminifarm Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote in message news:<Hb2pd.36770$>...
    > Paminifarm wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
    > > I took it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
    > > Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes up.
    > > I take it to Rita she "fixes" it.
    > > Back home i click in a large image and the computer freezes up.
    > > I take the computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing
    > > wrong with the computer.
    > > Back home i fire up computer; the little green light on the
    > > front comes on but that is all it will do.
    > > Computer back to Rita, who says power supply is fried.
    > > Rita said there is something wrong with my wall socket
    > > where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years,
    > > and that i should try the computer in a different room.
    > > I will be going to get the computer in about an hour;
    > > bring it home and do as adviced, however i will click
    > > on a large image and i am sure the computer will freeze
    > > up. The computer seems to be running too fast and/or the
    > > mouse is running too fast. Does this ring a bell
    > > for anyone?
    > > Comp USA: about $150.00
    > > Rita: $40.00
    > > Rita:$70.00
    > > Old 'puter and i have been together for too long now
    > > for me to give up on it - can it be fixed?

    > I think in the computer world a 7 year old computer is an Antique.
    > You have spent enough on it already to replace it with something
    > quite adequate. You can love the old one as much sitting in a closet
    > as you can on your desk top not working. Anyway good luck with what
    > ever you may decide.

    Thank you for your input, however:
    I had it upgraded less than 3 years ago with a new
    motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then something happened
    (i forget what, and they re-enstalled Windows). I
    only want to use the computer for peripherals, because
    of space/table top limitations. I work with huge images.
    http://lillyrough.tripod.com/enter.html
    http://www.geezer.com/artisan/257
    http://paminifarm.faithweb.com
    So what do you think, i should do?
    The computer is back and the floppy is saying Outlook Express
    isnot responding. It never did that before. This is something
    new. Computer goes back to Rita on Monday.

    Microsoft Windows 98
    Second Edition
    4.10.2222A

    Computer:
    Authentic AMD
    AmD Atholon(tm) Processor
    640.0 RAM
    Original Configuration
    Sytem Rssources 83% free
    Virtual Memory 32-bit
    No PC card
    Hardware Accelerator isnot on "FULL". It is back from "FULL" on point

    1000 MH 100 10 0

    Paminifarm, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Paminifarm

    Duck ducking Guest

    On 24 Nov 2004 10:12:33 -0800, (Paminifarm)
    wrote:

    >This is something
    >new. Computer goes back to Rita on Monday.

    Just maybe this is the problem, Me thinks that she has had her chance
    and it time for you to find someone else.

    Duck ducking, Nov 25, 2004