FRICKIN' Windows MP 11.0.6 is CHANGING MY MP3 PROPERTIES

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Apr 9, 2011.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    The title of my Subject says it all. I've turned off ALL automatic
    Library management options and still every few weeks I'm seeing
    changes in the filenames and titles and artists of my mp3s. When I go
    to search for a specific song Windows says "not found" because the
    title was changed! I'm running Vista 32bit.

    How the F#$K do I prevent this from happening?!

    -ChrisCoaster
     
    ChrisCoaster, Apr 9, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > The title of my Subject says it all. I've turned off ALL automatic
    > Library management options and still every few weeks I'm seeing
    > changes in the filenames and titles and artists of my mp3s. When I go
    > to search for a specific song Windows says "not found" because the
    > title was changed! I'm running Vista 32bit.
    >
    > How the F#$K do I prevent this from happening?!
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster


    http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20...mperedcomputer.com/SW/WMP/AutomaticUpdate.htm

    "If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer and set them to read only."

    And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
    software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
    Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.

    If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
    change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
    force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
    That's how *good* software works :) It would be a proof, by the
    software writer, of how clever they were.

    It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
    that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
    the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
    Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.

    Paul
     
    Paul, Apr 10, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Apr 10, 4:22 am, Paul <> wrote:

    > http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090505061126/http://thewelltempere...
    >
    >     "If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer and set them to read only."
    >
    > And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
    > software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
    > Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.
    >
    > If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
    > change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
    > force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
    > That's how *good* software works :) It would be a proof, by the
    > software writer, of how clever they were.
    >
    > It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
    > that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
    > the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
    > Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.
    >
    >     Paul

    _________________________

    1. In windows, you can view the Filename of a song(the downloaded
    file), the Title, the Artist, Album Artist, Track# Year, and Genre,
    etc of the song. You can even view composers and BPM.

    2. I change both the File name and Title of every mp3 download or mp3
    I create to be the same - Decade followed by title. I.E. "1980s - I
    Can't Wait" - by Nu Shooz. I file all my music by decade because I'm
    fascinated by time and it's easy for me to remember when a song came
    out by the decade it was released. This also helps with cover
    versions: 1970s - Killing Me Softly VS 1990s - Killing Me Softly(The
    Fugees) .

    3. A week or two later, I'm going through my master folder and the
    song by Nu Shooz the Filename is still "1980s - I Can't Wait", but the
    Title is "I cant wait_nu_shooz" or whatever the creater named
    it(essentially the Filename). Or, I find that under the Artist and
    Album Artist categories one of them has reverted to the wrong spelling
    "New Shoes" or for that matter "various artists".

    It's PISSING ME OFF because I maintain playlists in both WMP and I-
    Tunes and maintaining the two is becoming a F^CKING FULL TIME JOB!!!
    I almost wish we were still using CDs and cassettes for Gods sake!
    And like I said I turned off as many "automatic" features of both WMP
    and I-Tunes, so I dont' know why these changes are happening.

    -CC
     
    ChrisCoaster, Apr 10, 2011
    #3
  4. ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > On Apr 10, 4:22 am, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090505061126/http://thewelltempere...
    >>
    >>     "If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer
    >> and set them to read only."
    >>
    >> And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
    >> software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
    >> Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.
    >>
    >> If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
    >> change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
    >> force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
    >> That's how *good* software works :) It would be a proof, by the
    >> software writer, of how clever they were.
    >>
    >> It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
    >> that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
    >> the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
    >> Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.
    >>
    >>     Paul

    > _________________________
    >
    > 1. In windows, you can view the Filename of a song(the downloaded
    > file), the Title, the Artist, Album Artist, Track# Year, and Genre,
    > etc of the song. You can even view composers and BPM.
    >
    > 2. I change both the File name and Title of every mp3 download or mp3
    > I create to be the same - Decade followed by title. I.E. "1980s - I
    > Can't Wait" - by Nu Shooz. I file all my music by decade because I'm
    > fascinated by time and it's easy for me to remember when a song came
    > out by the decade it was released. This also helps with cover
    > versions: 1970s - Killing Me Softly VS 1990s - Killing Me Softly(The
    > Fugees) .
    >
    > 3. A week or two later, I'm going through my master folder and the
    > song by Nu Shooz the Filename is still "1980s - I Can't Wait", but the
    > Title is "I cant wait_nu_shooz" or whatever the creater named
    > it(essentially the Filename). Or, I find that under the Artist and
    > Album Artist categories one of them has reverted to the wrong spelling
    > "New Shoes" or for that matter "various artists".
    >
    > It's PISSING ME OFF because I maintain playlists in both WMP and I-
    > Tunes and maintaining the two is becoming a F^CKING FULL TIME JOB!!!
    > I almost wish we were still using CDs and cassettes for Gods sake!
    > And like I said I turned off as many "automatic" features of both WMP
    > and I-Tunes, so I dont' know why these changes are happening.
    >
    > -CC


    Fair to assume you unchecked any "let check Internet for info..." type
    entry?

    If that software is doing things you don't want, you might consider
    looking for a replacement. There is no shortage of media software out
    there, most of it free.

    I use VLC Player (VideoLan)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim


    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov
     
    James D Andrews, Apr 10, 2011
    #4
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Apr 10, 3:26 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Apr 10, 4:22 am, Paul <> wrote:

    >
    > >>http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090505061126/http://thewelltempere....

    >
    > >>     "If you want to avoid any change to the files you can use the Explorer
    > >> and set them to read only."

    >
    > >> And even that, sounds highly unlikely to help, because it's
    > >> software after all, and it can do what it damn well pleases.
    > >> Once software is in a trusted zone, it's in control.

    >
    > >> If I was a software writer, and I found a file "read-only", I'd
    > >> change it to read/write, mess with it, change it to read-only,
    > >> force the modification date back to the original, cover my tracks...
    > >> That's how *good* software works :) It would be a proof, by the
    > >> software writer, of how clever they were.

    >
    > >> It's always possible there is other software on your computer,
    > >> that can do that. If you've collected other music players. Perhaps
    > >> the style or nature of the changes can hint at what is doing it ?
    > >> Like, if the information only came from one particular Internet database.

    >
    > >>     Paul

    > > _________________________

    >
    > > 1.  In windows, you can view the Filename of a song(the downloaded
    > > file), the Title, the Artist, Album Artist, Track# Year, and Genre,
    > > etc of the song.  You can even view composers and BPM.

    >
    > > 2. I change both the File name and Title of every mp3 download or mp3
    > > I create to be the same - Decade followed by title.  I.E.   "1980s - I
    > > Can't Wait" - by Nu Shooz.  I file all my music by decade because I'm
    > > fascinated by time and it's easy for me to remember when a song came
    > > out by the decade it was released.  This also helps with cover
    > > versions:  1970s - Killing Me Softly VS 1990s - Killing Me Softly(The
    > > Fugees) .

    >
    > > 3. A week or two later, I'm going through my master folder and the
    > > song by Nu Shooz the Filename is still "1980s - I Can't Wait", but the
    > > Title is "I cant wait_nu_shooz" or whatever the creater named
    > > it(essentially the Filename).  Or, I find that under the Artist and
    > > Album Artist categories one of them has reverted to the wrong spelling
    > > "New Shoes" or for that matter "various artists".

    >
    > > It's PISSING ME OFF because I maintain playlists in both WMP and I-
    > > Tunes and maintaining the two is becoming a F^CKING FULL TIME JOB!!!
    > > I almost wish we were still using CDs and cassettes for Gods sake!
    > > And like I said I turned off as many "automatic" features of both WMP
    > > and I-Tunes, so I dont' know why these changes are happening.

    >
    > > -CC

    >
    > Fair to assume you unchecked any "let check Internet for info..." type
    > entry?
    >
    > If that software is doing things you don't want, you might consider
    > looking for a replacement.  There is no shortage of media software out
    > there, most of it free.
    >
    > I use VLC Player (VideoLan)
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    > troublesome."
    > - Isaac Asimov- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -

    ___________________
    Didn't see that option (check internet for info)

    -CC
     
    ChrisCoaster, Apr 11, 2011
    #5
  6. ChrisCoaster

    Kele Guest

    It's in the Preferences > Privacy Tab

    You should look at all the tabs and uncheck everything having to to with
    babysitting your files and folders. I havn't opened Windows Media player in
    a while, nor is it associated with anything. I'm with Jim, VLC is quicker
    opening, plays nearly everything, and doesn't mess with files. For audio
    playback sound quality, Jet Audio is my favorite.




    ---------
    "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote:
    ___________________
    Didn't see that option (check internet for info)

    -CC
     
    Kele, Apr 11, 2011
    #6
  7. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Apr 11, 3:33 am, "Kele" <> wrote:
    > It's in the Preferences > Privacy Tab
    >
    > You should look at all the tabs and uncheck everything having to to with
    > babysitting your files and folders.  I havn't opened Windows Media player in
    > a while, nor is it associated with anything.  I'm with Jim, VLC is quicker
    > opening, plays nearly everything, and doesn't mess with files.  For audio
    > playback sound quality, Jet Audio is my favorite.
    >
    > ---------"ChrisCoaster" <> wrote:
    >
    > ___________________
    > Didn't see that option (check internet for info)
    >
    > -CC

    _____________________
    Thanks! Unchecked.

    -CC
     
    ChrisCoaster, Apr 11, 2011
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Monsignor Larville Jones MD

    Re: Changing track numbers for MP3's

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 14, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    921
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    Aug 18, 2003
  2. jamy
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    21,173
  3. =?Utf-8?B?V0FE?=

    Changing default file properties

    =?Utf-8?B?V0FE?=, Oct 19, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    404
    =?Utf-8?B?V0FE?=
    Oct 19, 2007
  4. music-fan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,343
    music-fan
    Dec 24, 2009
  5. richard

    Holy CoW! What a frickin game!

    richard, Oct 29, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    844
    Aardvark
    Oct 31, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page