    Does anyone have any advice on this one?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
    ZeeExSixAre, May 26, 2004

  2. ZeeExSixAre

    Lisa Horton Guest

    ZeeExSixAre wrote:

    > I bought my Coolpix 990 on eBay 18 months ago. It ended up being a
    > europe-spec model, but it worked fine. It died a month ago, and I sent it
    > off to Nikon USA repairs. They outright refused it and labeled it
    > "grey-market." How am I supposed to get my cam repaired? I've looked at
    > the Nikon Europe site, but I'm not sure which country I'm supposed to be
    > asking...
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice on this one?

    My only advice, if you can't get this camera fixed, remember this as you
    choose your next camera. Nikon does a lot of things well, but their
    USA/Grey Market repair policy isn't one of them.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, May 26, 2004

  3. ZeeExSixAre

    Patrick Guest

    ??? What grey-market ??? You go to Europe, buy a camera duty-free and you
    can't repare it where you live ??? I would try and find out if they can
    ligally do that and if they can I would buy an other brand.

    Patrick.
    Patrick, May 27, 2004
  4. "ZeeExSixAre" <
    <mailto:p>> wrote in message
    > I bought my Coolpix 990 on eBay 18 months ago. It ended up being a
    > europe-spec model, but it worked fine. It died a month ago, and I sent it
    > off to Nikon USA repairs. They outright refused it and labeled it
    > "grey-market." How am I supposed to get my cam repaired? I've looked at
    > the Nikon Europe site, but I'm not sure which country I'm supposed to be
    > asking...

    Very strange. You weren't trying for a warranty repair--obviously, so why
    wouldn't they perform repairs for money? You could have bought it while on
    vacation in Europe! I had a grey-market Canon camera, purchased from B&H,
    repaired out of warranty at a Canon authorized repair facility, and they
    didn't care that it wasn't a U.S. model. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll warn
    people about Nikon on my web sites.
    Steven M. Scharf, May 28, 2004
  5. ZeeExSixAre

    carl Guest

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > "ZeeExSixAre" <
    > <mailto:p>> wrote in message
    > > I bought my Coolpix 990 on eBay 18 months ago. It ended up being a
    > > europe-spec model, but it worked fine. It died a month ago, and I sent

    it
    > > off to Nikon USA repairs. They outright refused it and labeled it
    > > "grey-market." How am I supposed to get my cam repaired? I've looked at
    > > the Nikon Europe site, but I'm not sure which country I'm supposed to be
    > > asking...

    > Very strange. You weren't trying for a warranty repair--obviously, so why
    > wouldn't they perform repairs for money? You could have bought it while on
    > vacation in Europe! I had a grey-market Canon camera, purchased from B&H,
    > repaired out of warranty at a Canon authorized repair facility, and they
    > didn't care that it wasn't a U.S. model. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll

    warn
    > people about Nikon on my web sites.

    The reason they don't repair them at USA is because they are not the same.
    My Nikon dealer here tells me that they send grey market stuff in all the
    time, and because they are a nikon dealer, it is assumed that they would
    possibly have obtained cameras for trade or repair that were purchased
    outside the USA. I suspect that if an American had a receipt for a nikon
    purchased outside the USA and then brought in, nikon USA would honor the
    warrenty and also do out of warrenty repair. I suggest you take it to a
    nikon dealer for help. I also suspect it will cost more to repair than it is
    worth.. and almost certainly more than you would expect. Canon repaired my
    elph bought outside the usa, but the bill was 230$, a new unit would have
    been $300, plus it took almost 2 months as they ended up sending it to
    japan, where i suspect they trashed it an gave me a new one.
    carl, May 28, 2004
  6. > Very strange. You weren't trying for a warranty repair--obviously, so why
    > wouldn't they perform repairs for money? You could have bought it while on
    > vacation in Europe!

    Nikon has a long-standing policy of not knowingly repairing gray-market
    items, either in or out of warranty. If you bought it while on vacation in
    Europe, you would have a receipt that proves that you purchased it in person
    from an authorized dealer. In that case, Nikon USA would repair it.
    Andrew Koenig, May 28, 2004
  7. ZeeExSixAre

    nixjunk Guest

    >> Very strange. You weren't trying for a warranty repair--obviously, so why
    >> wouldn't they perform repairs for money? You could have bought it while on
    >> vacation in Europe!

    >Nikon has a long-standing policy of not knowingly repairing gray-market
    >items, either in or out of warranty. If you bought it while on vacation in
    >Europe, you would have a receipt that proves that you purchased it in person
    >from an authorized dealer. In that case, Nikon USA would repair it.

    It would be understandable to refuse warranty repair but to refuse repair out
    of warranty where a customer is actually going to pay you to fix it is
    ridiculous and extremely unprofessional. Such companies deserve to lose sales,
    and hopefully they will.
    nixjunk, May 29, 2004
  8. "Andrew Koenig" <> wrote in message
    > > Very strange. You weren't trying for a warranty repair--obviously, so

    why
    > > wouldn't they perform repairs for money? You could have bought it while

    on
    > > vacation in Europe!

    > Nikon has a long-standing policy of not knowingly repairing gray-market
    > items, either in or out of warranty. If you bought it while on vacation

    in
    > Europe, you would have a receipt that proves that you purchased it in

    person
    > from an authorized dealer. In that case, Nikon USA would repair it.

    Well I guess I won't be buying Nikon items! I'd be worried about needing a
    Nikon U.S. item repaired while I'm out of the U.S., and having the Nikon
    repair in some other country having the same policy.
    Steven M. Scharf, May 29, 2004
  9. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > It would be understandable to refuse warranty repair but to refuse
    > repair out of warranty where a customer is actually going to pay you
    > to fix it is ridiculous and extremely unprofessional. Such companies
    > deserve to lose sales, and hopefully they will.

    Exactly! This is my point. Even if the repair cost $260, I would still be
    coming out on top because I could sell the camera on eBay for $300 plus
    shipping, since a dead 990 never gets more than $40-$50...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
    ZeeExSixAre, May 31, 2004
  10. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > The reason they don't repair them at USA is because they are not the
    > same. My Nikon dealer here tells me that they send grey market stuff
    > in all the time, and because they are a nikon dealer, it is assumed
    > that they would possibly have obtained cameras for trade or repair
    > that were purchased outside the USA. I suspect that if an American

    Do you think I should try to have an authorized dealer send it in for
    repair?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
    ZeeExSixAre, May 31, 2004
  11. ZeeExSixAre

    Jeremy Guest

    "nixjunk" <> wrote in message

    > It would be understandable to refuse warranty repair but to refuse repair

    out
    > of warranty where a customer is actually going to pay you to fix it is
    > ridiculous and extremely unprofessional.

    Not at all. Nikon USA has invested much in their advertising, parts
    inventories, training and salaries and benefits for their service
    technicians. Part of the price they charge for the cameras that they import
    includes this cost.

    The purchaser of a legally-imported Nikon camera has paid their share of
    this expense. The gray-market purchaser has not. It would be a slap in the
    face to the legitimate Nikon USA purchaser for interlopers to have access to
    service--whether that service is in or out of warranty. It would also serve
    to encourage more purchasers to buy using the gray-market route, since they
    could buy repairs from Nikon USA if they needed them--just like the
    legitimate Nikon USA customers.

    There is no reason--legal or moral--that obligates legitimate importers to
    service equipment that was procured through unauthorized channels. The
    purchaser may have the legal right to bypass the official importer, but he
    has absolutely no expectation of support from the legitimate importer if his
    product breaks down.

    By the way, Nikon USA WILL repair items legitimately purchased from official
    Nikon importers outside the USA, IF the customer actually purchased them in
    the countries served by those legitimate importers. The ban on repairs
    covers only gray-market goods (i.e., goods imported into the USA by an
    importer other than Nikon USA).
    Jeremy, Jun 1, 2004
  12. ZeeExSixAre

    Jeremy Guest

    > "Andrew Koenig" <> wrote in message
    > > > Very strange. You weren't trying for a warranty repair--obviously, so

    > why
    > > > wouldn't they perform repairs for money? You could have bought it

    while
    > on
    > > > vacation in Europe!

    > > Nikon has a long-standing policy of not knowingly repairing gray-market
    > > items, either in or out of warranty. If you bought it while on vacation

    > in
    > > Europe, you would have a receipt that proves that you purchased it in

    > person
    > > from an authorized dealer. In that case, Nikon USA would repair it.

    > Well I guess I won't be buying Nikon items! I'd be worried about needing a
    > Nikon U.S. item repaired while I'm out of the U.S., and having the Nikon
    > repair in some other country having the same policy.

    An AUTHORIZED Nikon importer in another country WILL repair items you bought
    in the US from Nikon USA.

    The ban on repairs covers gray-market items only.

    When I bought my Pentax gear, 30 years ago, when the official US importer
    was Honeywell Photographic, US Customs used to scratch off the name "Asahi
    Pentax" on cameras that were imported into the US from non-Honeywell
    sources! In other words, if you tried to bypass Honeywell, you ended up
    with a defaced camera! (Honeywell was the registered US trademark owner).

    That is not done anymore, but importers still can decline to get involved
    with equipment that they did not import. It is only right. They have no
    obligation to support merchandise from which they made no profit.
    Jeremy, Jun 1, 2004
  13. ZeeExSixAre

    Jeremy Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <> >
    > Do you think I should try to have an authorized dealer send it in for
    > repair?

    You should send it to the non-official importer that you bought it from.
    They are the ones responsible for servicing you.

    I believe that Nikon USA checks the serial numbers on cameras sent in for
    repair, to see if they were legitimately-imported. I suspect that they will
    decline to accept your item for repair, regardless of how you try to sneak
    it in.
    Jeremy, Jun 1, 2004
  14. ZeeExSixAre

    Charlie Self Guest

    Jeremy writes:

    >An AUTHORIZED Nikon importer in another country WILL repair items you bought
    >in the US from Nikon USA.
    >
    >The ban on repairs covers gray-market items only.

    Does that mean Nikon makes no profit on gray market items? Because if they do,
    refusing repair for any reason is hypocrisy. Nikon USA may not make a buck, but
    their parent company does, and Nikon USA, or whatever company, will make its
    normal profit on the repairs, so no one is asking for special support here,
    just a reasonable way of doing business.

    Charlie Self
    "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
    exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
    Charlie Self, Jun 1, 2004
  15. "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > By the way, Nikon USA WILL repair items legitimately purchased from

    official
    > Nikon importers outside the USA, IF the customer actually purchased them

    in
    > the countries served by those legitimate importers. The ban on repairs
    > covers only gray-market goods (i.e., goods imported into the USA by an
    > importer other than Nikon USA).

    I'd worry that something I bought in Europe or Asia would be refused for
    repair by Nikon U.S.A., even though it was not a grey-market product. How
    are you supposed to prove that it was purchased in Europe, rather than
    grey-market in the U.S.? What if you can't find your receipt?

    I'm not sure how things are in other parts of the world, but in the U.S.
    there is no difference in the warranty for a product purchased from an
    "authorized dealer" versus an "unauthorized dealer," provided the product is
    not grey market. The Magnusson-Moss act makes it perfectly clear that the
    manufacturer provides the warranty, the dealer has nothing to do with it (it
    is up to the manufacturer to control the distribution of their products, and
    not up to the consumer to figure out which dealer is authorized or not).

    What if I purchase a Nikon camera or lens in Europe, and Nikon U.S.A. says
    that I bought it from an "illegitimate" importer?" I would probably not know
    if a reseller is "illegitimate." Some of the biggest U.S. retailers of U.S.
    digital cameras are not authorized dealers. It's just too much
    responsibility on the consumer, when it should be the manufacturer's
    responsibility to control distribution; after all, they created the price
    disparity.

    I'd worry about being on vacation in Europe and needing a repair, but not
    having my receipt with me (who carries their receipts on vacation?). By the
    same token, if I was from outside the U.S. I'd be concerned about buying a
    Nikon product in the U.S., and trying to get service in Europe, or trying to
    get service in the U.S. for a product I bought in Europe.

    It's very messy. Best bet is to avoid Nikon entirely. I'm glad that this
    situation was brought to our attention. I've added this warning to my web
    site, http://digitalcamerashortlist.com under "Warranty Issues when Out of
    the Country of Purchase, and Grey Market Repairs."

    I have read that Canon does honor the warranty on grey-market cameras, so I
    presume that they will repair them out of warranty as well. I have also read
    that they don't honor the warranty on grey-market cameras but are happy to
    repair them out-of-warranty. I have never heard of Canon refusing a repair
    completely.

    I have had a Canon grey-market film SLR repaired, out-of-warranty, at a
    Canon authorized repair center. BTW, I chose the grey-market Canon film SLR
    because the U.S. model was de-featured (EOS5-QD, versus A2E), not because of
    price. The independent repair place was great. They repaired the camera
    while I waited, for a reasonable price. The only problem they had was
    entering the repair into their database, because the model wasn't there, but
    they just used the closest U.S. model.

    What I would advise to the original poster, is that they look at:
    http://nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/Nikon_repair_list.pdf and find an
    independent Nikon repair facility that is CoolPix trained. The place that I
    had my out-of-warranty grey-market Canon film camera repaired is also on
    that list as a Nikon repair center. These places will likely be happy to
    repair the camera for a fee.

    Nikon in Japan should put a stop to these shenanigans, as it is hurting
    their reputation. Their market share is already slipping, they don't need an
    uppity U.S. division hurting them over such a non-issue.
    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 2, 2004
  16. ZeeExSixAre

    Jeremy Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message

    > Does that mean Nikon makes no profit on gray market items? Because if they

    do,
    > refusing repair for any reason is hypocrisy. Nikon USA may not make a

    buck, but
    > their parent company does, and Nikon USA, or whatever company, will make

    its
    > normal profit on the repairs, so no one is asking for special support here

    You are missing the point.

    It is not about Nikon USA declining to make a buck. They have the
    unquestioned right to elect whether to accept or decline this gray-market
    repair business.

    If they accepted it, they would be hurting their sales and helping their
    gray-market competitors. If anyone could buy a camera or lens from a
    gray-market source, then turn to Nikon USA for support, that would be a big
    incentive for purchasers to bypass Nikon USA for the purchase. It would
    also mean that those loyal Nikon USA customers would have to pay an even
    greater premium for buying legitimately, because they would be supporting
    the parts/warranty/service technicians that would be available to
    anyone--including the gray-market purchaser that paid not one cent for the
    availability of these services.

    Nikon turns away some business by declining gray market repairs, but it is
    in their interest to do so. The purchaser of gray-market goods paid less
    for his products, and he took the risk that he would receive no support from
    the official importer. That's life.
    Jeremy, Jun 2, 2004
  17. ZeeExSixAre

    Jeremy Guest

    > I'd worry that something I bought in Europe or Asia would be refused for
    > repair by Nikon U.S.A., even though it was not a grey-market product. How
    > are you supposed to prove that it was purchased in Europe, rather than
    > grey-market in the U.S.? What if you can't find your receipt?

    You are confusing the issue. If you can't find your receipt, and thus
    cannot establish when you purchased the equipment, you have no right to
    demand warranty service. I believe that most manufacturers offer purchasers
    the ability to register their purchases by mail or by Internet, making it
    unnecessary for them to retain their receipts.

    > I'm not sure how things are in other parts of the world, but in the U.S.
    > there is no difference in the warranty for a product purchased from an
    > "authorized dealer" versus an "unauthorized dealer," provided the product

    is
    > not grey market.

    But this thread was discussing GRAY MARKET GOODS. Official importers are
    NOT required to fix GRAY MARKET GOODS.

    The Magnusson-Moss act makes it perfectly clear that the manufacturer
    provides the warranty, the dealer has nothing to do with it (it
    > is up to the manufacturer to control the distribution of their products,

    and
    > not up to the consumer to figure out which dealer is authorized or not).

    So send your gray market Nikon back to Japan. You STILL have no legal RIGHT
    to demand service on a GRAY MARKET NIKON from NIKON USA.

    Your comments suggest that the buyer of gray market Nikons is somehow being
    swindled by Nikon USA. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nikon USA
    has NO RESPONSIBILITY OR OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER to take care of any unit that
    they did not import. They DO support units purchased from other official
    importers in other countries, because they have some reciprocal arrangement
    with them. Gray-market goods do not fit this category.

    >What if I purchase a Nikon camera or lens in Europe, and Nikon U.S.A. says
    > that I bought it from an "illegitimate" importer?" I would probably not

    know
    > if a reseller is "illegitimate."

    Oh, come on! You don't know if your purchase is GRAY MARKET?? Give me a
    break!

    That's like saying "Officer, you say I was going 90 MPH in a 45 MPH zone?
    Gee, I didn't know I was speeding!"

    Some of the biggest U.S. retailers of U.S.
    > digital cameras are not authorized dealers. It's just too much
    > responsibility on the consumer, when it should be the manufacturer's
    > responsibility to control distribution; after all, they created the price
    > disparity.

    So call your congressman if you think the law should be changed to impose a
    burden upon an importer to support products with which it had no connection.

    Stop playing dumb.

    > I'd worry about being on vacation in Europe and needing a repair, but not
    > having my receipt with me (who carries their receipts on vacation?). By

    the
    > same token, if I was from outside the U.S. I'd be concerned about buying a
    > Nikon product in the U.S., and trying to get service in Europe, or trying

    > get service in the U.S. for a product I bought in Europe.

    You are being an alarmist. Legitimate Nikon customers have no problem
    obtaining warranty service on legitimately-purchased products, and I suspect
    that you know it. Why are you trying to create suspicion? We all know
    Nikon, but who are YOU?

    > It's very messy. Best bet is to avoid Nikon entirely.

    Best bet is to avoid bad advice from YOU entirely!

    I'm glad that this situation was brought to our attention. I've added this
    warning to my web
    > site, http://digitalcamerashortlist.com under "Warranty Issues when Out of
    > the Country of Purchase, and Grey Market Repairs."

    Oh, so that is your objective: to publicize your web site! If that advice
    represents the kind stuff you post, I don't think I'll be visiting it.

    > I have read that Canon does honor the warranty on grey-market cameras, so

    > presume that they will repair them out of warranty as well.

    Let's not presume anything. The point I was making--the ONLY point I was
    making--is that NO IMPORTER HAS AN OBLIGATION TO SUPPORT PRODUCTS THAT IT
    DID NOT IMPORT. If Canon, in its own good judgment, elects to repair
    gray-market Canons, I have no problem with their decision.

    I have also read
    > that they don't honor the warranty on grey-market cameras but are happy to
    > repair them out-of-warranty.

    So what does that have to do with Nikon USA's decisions?

    I have never heard of Canon refusing a repair
    > completely.

    Are you an expert? Does the fact that YOU never heard of it mean that we
    should presume that your belief is not factual?

    I have had a Canon grey-market film SLR repaired, out-of-warranty, at a
    > Canon authorized repair center. BTW, I chose the grey-market Canon film

    SLR
    > because the U.S. model was de-featured (EOS5-QD, versus A2E), not because

    of
    > price.

    Yes, but an INDEPENDENT repair facility can set its own policies. You are
    confusing people with your comments. We are discussing whether NIKON USA is
    required to provide repairs on equipment that it did not import, not whether
    an independent shop may provide repairs.

    > What I would advise to the original poster, is that they look at:
    > Nikon in Japan should put a stop to these shenanigans, as it is hurting
    > their reputation. Their market share is already slipping, they don't need

    an
    > uppity U.S. division hurting them over such a non-issue.

    You are either being inflammatory or you are some kind of a nut.
    Jeremy, Jun 2, 2004
  18. ZeeExSixAre

    Charlie Self Guest

    Jeremy responds:

    >You are missing the point.
    >
    >It is not about Nikon USA declining to make a buck. They have the
    >unquestioned right to elect whether to accept or decline this gray-market
    >repair business.
    >
    >If they accepted it, they would be hurting their sales and helping their
    >gray-market competitors.

    Other makers do it, and actually seem to do better than Nikon in sales.

    >greater premium for buying legitimately, because they would be supporting
    >the parts/warranty/service technicians that would be available to
    >anyone--including the gray-market purchaser that paid not one cent for the
    >availability of these services.

    That's bullshit. NikonUSA is charging enough to pay the bill on all of these,
    plus make a profit, and that wouldn't change one iota.

    >Nikon turns away some business by declining gray market repairs, but it is
    >in their interest to do so. The purchaser of gray-market goods paid less
    >for his products, and he took the risk that he would receive no support from
    >the official importer. That's life.

    Nikon turns away...ayup. I agree. I am going to shortly be purchasing a DSLR to
    replace my current digital camera. It will not be a Nikon because I disagree
    with their stance, and your interpretation of it.

    Charlie Self, Jun 2, 2004
  19. ZeeExSixAre

    Charlie Self Guest

    Jeremy responds:

    > The Magnusson-Moss act makes it perfectly clear that the manufacturer
    >provides the warranty, the dealer has nothing to do with it (it
    >> is up to the manufacturer to control the distribution of their products,

    >and
    >> not up to the consumer to figure out which dealer is authorized or not).
    >>

    >So send your gray market Nikon back to Japan. You STILL have no legal RIGHT
    >to demand service on a GRAY MARKET NIKON from NIKON USA.
    >
    >Your comments suggest that the buyer of gray market Nikons is somehow being
    >swindled by Nikon USA. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nikon USA
    >has NO RESPONSIBILITY OR OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER to take care of any unit that

    The swindling is being done by Nikon, period. They produce more cameras than
    can be sold in authorized arenas and do not control distribution properly,
    depending on the grey market to take excess stock off their hands. Then their
    various distributors hit customers of the parent company--which all purchasers
    of new Nikons are--with an "up yours" when it comes time for repairs. Shipping
    a camera to Japan is not a workable solution unless time is of no importance
    whatsoever.

    >Oh, come on! You don't know if your purchase is GRAY MARKET?? Give me a
    >break!
    >
    >That's like saying "Officer, you say I was going 90 MPH in a 45 MPH zone?
    >Gee, I didn't know I was speeding!"

    Analogy sucks. It is not that difficult to pose as an authorized dealer in
    anything when a customer is unfamiliar with the terrain, whether it be product
    terrain or country terrain. That is the fault of the authorizing company.

    Charlie Self, Jun 2, 2004
  20. ZeeExSixAre

    > The swindling is being done by Nikon, period. They produce more cameras

    than
    > can be sold in authorized arenas and do not control distribution properly,
    > depending on the grey market to take excess stock off their hands. Then

    their
    > various distributors hit customers of the parent company--which all

    purchasers
    > of new Nikons are--with an "up yours" when it comes time for repairs.

    Shipping
    > a camera to Japan is not a workable solution unless time is of no

    importance
    > whatsoever.

    Gray market was not an issue in the US until the case went to the Supreme
    Court, and they ruled that merchandise could legally be imported by other
    than authorized channels, but the it imposed no obligation upon the official
    importer in the way of parts, service or warranty repairs.

    You seem to want to have your cake and to eat it, too. You want to not pay
    for the increased overhead that the official importer must bear (and must
    ultimately pass down to the buyer), yet you want to receive the benefits
    that accrue to customers of the official importer.

    Whether you like it or not, the rules are clear: if you want parts and
    service from the OFFICIAL importer, you should buy officially-imported
    goods.

    In the case of Nikon USA, I feel certain that they would prefer that ALL
    Nikon equipment imported into this country come through them. From their
    vantage point, the huge investment that they've made in brand recognition,
    advertising, parts inventories and availability of trained technicians, is
    being siphoned off by interlopers, who have made ZERO investment in any of
    these things.

    If you are so concerned about the fact that gray market purchasers receive
    no support from Nikon USA, perhaps you should be warning users of the
    drawbacks of dealing with unauthorized import channels--not complaining
    about Nikon USA. You have put the cart before the horse. Nikon USA is not
    the culprit, the gray market importer is.

    The consumer, at least in the USA, has a choice. Full service at a higher
    price or questionable support at a somewhat lower price. With that freedom
    of choice comes the responsibility to determine whether an item is US or
    gray market, before the purchase is made. This is not difficult to
    determine, as the warranty card clearly states whether Nikon USA warrants
    the purchase. Also, I believe that the serial numbers of
    officially-imported Nikons start with "US." (I am not a Nikon user, and I
    may be incorrect about this).

    Nikon USA is merely asserting its legal and moral rights by declining to
    work on products that it did not import. The REAL problem is that the
    retailer that sells the gear is not always candid with the buyer regarding
    this. If you want to recommend that buyers not purchase Nikon gear because
    of this, I do not believe that very many people will act on your advice.
    Jeremy, Jun 2, 2004