Frequent WiFi Disconnects

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lem, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Lem

    Lem Guest

    I've been asked to check out a friend's home wifi network because
    because she experiences frequent wifi disconnects (that is, the wireless
    connection between her laptop and her AP drops). I know that the laptop
    runs WinXP (but not whether it is home or pro; I assume, but don't know,
    that it's been patched to sp2). I don't know what brand/model wifi
    access point she has, but I recall that it's set up in a non-standard
    manner, perhaps as a bridge: There's an ISP-supplied modem/router
    (non-wireless) and the wifi AP is connected to that via one of the AP
    LAN ports (i.e., not the AP WAN port). I wouldn't think, however, that
    the network architecture would have an effect on wireless connectivity
    (aside from the physical location of the antennas).

    I know about some possible issues to look for, including ensuring that
    SSID broadcast is enabled and to uncheck the option "Enable IEEE 802.1x
    authentication for this network." I've also seen more than one
    recommendation to disable WZC and use the native config utility for
    whatever wireless adapter is in the laptop.

    The question I have is based on my friend's report that her disconnect
    problem seems to occur only when someone is using another PC that has a
    wired connection to the network. Is it possible that increased
    non-wireless network activity could cause the wireless connection to be
    dropped? If so, any suggestions for dealing with this situation?
    Lem, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Lem

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    HI
    Assuming that the wired PC is the culprit.
    Check whether it is the whole Wireless drops, or just the Internet connection is
    dropped.
    If the Internet connection is dropped it might be that there is No appropriate Routing
    (NAT). I.e. The Modem/Router is not configure correctly.
    If the whole Wireless connection stops functioning it might be that Access Point is not
    configured correctly for the Network. (If the AP is connected after Routing its IP has
    to be of the same band as the LAN and DHCP Off)
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Aug 24, 2005

  3. Lem

    Lem Guest

    I will check to see if it's the Internet connection rather than the wireless connection
    that's getting dropped. But as far as the configuration of the modem/router or AP is
    concerned, I thought that if the wireless laptop can successfully connect to the Internet
    at least some of the time, the modem/router and AP must be configured correctly. For
    example, if the AP wasn't on the same subnet as the LAN (I assume that's what you mean by
    "the same band"), wouldn't there be no connectivity at all?

    On the other hand, your mention of making sure that DHCP is off on the AP gives me some
    ideas about a few more things to check, including looking to see if there are multiple DHCP
    servers and/or multiple master browsers active.

    Lem, Aug 24, 2005