    running the "ASUS Probe" program and never get any alarms for
    temperature or power problems. Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Brian, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Brian

    Unk Guest

    On 4 Dec 2004 19:11:28 -0800, (Brian) wrote:

    >I have a fairly new (about 2 months) computer running XP Home. It
    >locks up frequently but with no consistent circumstances - sometimes 3
    >times within 10 minutes and then not at all for a day or two. I
    >removed SP2 to see if that would make a difference but no change. I've
    >checked internally - RAM & CPU are securely seated, cable connections
    >are good. It's got an ASUS P4VP-MX mobo, 2.5 Celeron, 256 RAM. I'm
    >running the "ASUS Probe" program and never get any alarms for
    >temperature or power problems. Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two:
    Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.

    Unk, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Brian

    John Guest

    A couple other things you could try:

    - Talk to the place you bought the computer from will do it for you, since
    the computer should still be under warrranty.
    - look at the hardware manufacturer's site for a BIOS update.
    - run a memory test utility (search for memtest86 on the net). You could
    have a bad memory chip.

    John

    John, Dec 5, 2004