Frequent hangs

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lee Harvey, Oct 6, 2006.

  1. Lee Harvey

    Lee Harvey Guest

    Ever since applying the latest Windows Critical Security Updates from
    mid-August via the Windows Updates website to my Toshiba Satellite M30X[1]
    running Windows XP Pro, my Atheros AR5004X (a/b/g) Wireless Network
    connection has been hanging, locking-up, and stalling -- and it never used
    to! It's very frustrating.

    Specifically, I can be surfing wirelessly perfectly fine for about 2
    minutes, then the next thing I know, all Internet applications (MSIE, FF,
    Opera, OE) all hang for about 60 seconds! When I do a netstat from a
    command prompt, I clearly see a SYN_SENT that just hangs around until I'm
    able to surf again.

    When the hangs, lock-ups, stalls do occur, I notice my wireless networking
    icon in the system tray notification area is NOT blinking, nor lit-up.
    Nothing gets sent from the computer! I even enabled logging on my router to
    confirm this. Which leads me to believe the problem is solely with this
    laptop networking setup.

    FWIW, I do have another wireless laptop (an Acer) with the same updates
    applied, and it does NOT experience these hangs. Of course, it's using a
    completely different built-in wireless card.

    One more possibly important point: I have the Cisco VPN client software
    4.0.4 installed, that requires the "Deterministic Network Enhancer" network
    service to be enabled. However, temporarily stopping the "Cisco Systems,
    Inc. VPN Service" and disabling the Deterministic Netowrk Enhancer has NOT
    helped any.

    The Critical Security Updates include:

    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
    Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
    Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917537)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
    Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925486)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922582)

    I tried manually uninstalling 2 specific updates (KB917953) and (KB920683),
    but it made no difference. Thus, I revisited Windows Update website,
    noticed a new AR5004X Wireless Network driver and 7 more critical updates
    (probably related to the fact that I uninstalled the previous 2 updates), so
    I downloaded and applied all of them (with the exception of the new driver,
    they are included in the list above).

    Short of uninstalling every update listed above, is there something easy I
    can try to make my Atheros wireless connection rock-solid once again? Oh
    yeah, nothing else has changed in my home or outside, and the lock-ups even
    occur when the laptop sits next to the wireless access point.

    Thanks.

    --
    [1] Intel Pentium M 1.8MHz CPU
    1GB RAM
    Lee Harvey, Oct 6, 2006

  2. Lee Harvey

    LittleMoo Guest

    If you have downloaded any updated drivers for any part of your wireless
    network from Microsoft Update, then I would recommend that you perform a
    driver rollback on the drivers in question, then get the updated driver(s)
    from your computer manufacturers web site. It's not a good idea to get your
    hardware driver updates from Microsoft Update, as they aren't specifically
    released for your system, like in the manufacturers web site.

    Secondly, this could be an issue with Windows Defender. In some cases it is
    known to cause network lag like what you are describing. If you have it try
    uninstalling it and seeing if that cures your problem.

    Here is some information on it from Mark Russinovich's blog (he co-founded
    Sysinternals and Winternals):
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2006/08/31/453100.aspx

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Lee Harvey

    Lee Harvey Guest

    Dan wrote:
> [...]
    >> even occur when the laptop sits next to the wireless access point.
    >>
    >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> [1] Intel Pentium M 1.8MHz CPU
    >> 1GB RAM
    >> 40GB free disk space
    >> a/b/g wireless
    >> broadband cable connection

    > If you have downloaded any updated drivers for any part of your wireless
    > network from Microsoft Update, then I would recommend that you perform a
    > driver rollback on the drivers in question, then get the updated driver(s)
    > from your computer manufacturers web site. It's not a good idea to get
    > your
    > hardware driver updates from Microsoft Update, as they aren't specifically
    > released for your system, like in the manufacturers web site.

    Unrelated, since it did not impact the problem at hand. And partially
    untrue for some manufacturers, since they do not update their websites with
    WHQL-certified drivers as frequently as Microsoft does. Even so, the
    version may in fact be the same, since it's dated last March, and I perform
    Windows Updates monthly -- but this is the first time I saw it.

    > Secondly, this could be an issue with Windows Defender. In some cases it
    > is
    > known to cause network lag like what you are describing. If you have it
    > try
    > uninstalling it and seeing if that cures your problem.

    Nope. Windows Defender is not installed on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) laptop.

    > Here is some information on it from Mark Russinovich's blog (he co-founded
    > Sysinternals and Winternals):
    > http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2006/08/31/453100.aspx

    Yeah, know who Mark is (sell-out). However, if you read the article, his
    conclusion states:

    The delay only happens under very specific circumstances where:

    - The system is running Windows XP 64-bit for x64 or Windows
    Server 2003 SP1
    - Windows Defender Beta 2 is active
    - The system is domain joined, but has not connected to the
    domain in the current boot session.

    None of these conditions are true for my 32-bit Windows XP laptop.
    Likewise, the article was specifically written for "Process Startup Delays",
    which none of my Internet applications are experiencing.

    Any other suggestions?
    Lee Harvey, Oct 7, 2006
  4. Lee Harvey

    LittleMoo Guest

    Well, I'm in the dark on this one. I did have a problem a couple of weeks
    ago where any web browser I tried to use (IE, FireFox, Opera) would take
    about 40 seconds to load a page, then it would work find for a minute, then
    it would hang again. This happened because I updated my wireless drivers,
    which turned off the WZC Managed Ethernet feature on my card. Maybe it's
    possible that one of the updates changed this setting on you, although I
    know that this is a long shot because we use different wireless hardware.

    Other than this, maybe the fragmentation and rts thresholds are too high
    (doubtful though).

    What happens if you try your other wireless card in this computer?

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 7, 2006
  5. Lee Harvey

    Lee Harvey Guest

    LittleMoo wrote:
    > Well, I'm in the dark on this one. I did have a problem a couple of weeks
    > ago where any web browser I tried to use (IE, FireFox, Opera) would take
    > about 40 seconds to load a page, then it would work find for a minute,
    > then
    > it would hang again. This happened because I updated my wireless drivers,
    > which turned off the WZC Managed Ethernet feature on my card. Maybe it's
    > possible that one of the updates changed this setting on you, although I
    > know that this is a long shot because we use different wireless hardware.
    >
    > Other than this, maybe the fragmentation and rts thresholds are too high
    > (doubtful though).
    >
    > What happens if you try your other wireless card in this computer?

    Thanks for the pointers.

    I went into Device Manager, and showed All hidden devices. I found a few
    old, errant entries that I either removed or disabled. Next, I remembered
    that I had recently tried locking-down MSIE using some Administrator
    Approved ActiveX settings, so I disabled/unconfigured those. Next, I
    remembered that I recently applied the latest Spybot Search & Destroy
    immunization database, with SDHelper, so I undid that. Finally, I tweaked
    some unused services from Automatic startup to Manual startup, and decided
    to reboot. Yeah, I know, I did too much, right? Well, after rebooting,
    this machine feels like new!

    I'll surf with these settings over the weekend, and if the problem recurs,
    I'll post back. But so far, so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    Thanks again for your pointers. At the very least, it forced me to rethink
    some things I've done recently to this machine. Let's just hope my computer
    security doesn't suffer for it. Only time will tell.

    Cheers.

    Lee Harvey, Oct 7, 2006
  6. Lee Harvey

    LittleMoo Guest

    That's quite the list. Glad to hear that it's working fine now. Fingers
    crossed that it will keep working fine.

    -Dan

    LittleMoo, Oct 7, 2006