    all suggest that I disable 802.1xxx authentication, but under the properties
    menu this is disabled (in the on position).

    Thanks

    David McKinnon, Jun 20, 2004

  2. I forgot to mention, even when I get disconnected, I can still see the
    wireless signal (my laptop picks up the SSID) and the signal strength is
    listed as "Excellent" or "Very Good"

    Thanks in advance

    David McKinnon, Jun 20, 2004

  3. You don't want to (you can't) disable 802.1x for WPA-PSK. That is a
    fix for WEP issues, not WPA-PSK.

    First, what firmware is in the Linksys? Update to the latest version.
    What is the rekey interval set to on the Linksys? Try 300
    Third, are you running a beta/RC of XP SP2 ?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jun 21, 2004
  4. David McKinnon

    Maxx Guest

    I have the exact same problem. WRT54G and a Broadcom Maxperformance 54G
    built-in my R3000 Compaq laptop. When it happens, I can see my connection as
    Verry Good or Excellent and at 54Mbps. but if I use the card util to see the
    status, I see "key absent" and only when the "key absent" disepear that my
    connection will come back to life. It happens on a random basis and can last
    for 10 seconds up to many minutes. I can be a day without it happening and 2
    days with disconnection al the time...

    Maxx, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Are you trying to use any of the performance doubling/boosting/frame
    bursting features?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jun 21, 2004
  6. The firmware has been updated to the latest version. XP has all the latest
    service patches, but from windowsupdate, so I don't think that it would
    include any RC code.

    Dave

    David McKinnon, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Try the following:

    * On the WRT54G, set the group key renewal to 3600 and restart the router.

    * In XP, edit the registry and add a DWORD registry key called "AuthMode"
    (no quotes) to
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General\Global" set
    it to 2 (i.e. 00000002) and restart the computer afterwards.

    Also, if you check the system event log (control panel->administrative
    tools->event viewer->system), are there any events that coincide with the
    disconnection?

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Jun 22, 2004
  8. But are you using any special modes of the driver and the router other
    than the regular G speeds?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jun 22, 2004
  9. David McKinnon

    Maxx Guest

    No, none of these options are available/enable
    Thanks

    Maxx, Jun 22, 2004
  10. What firmware is in the WRT54G and what is the rekey interval set to?
    See THIS thread:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10448107~mode=flat and see if
    that helps.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jun 22, 2004
  11. I have applied all the suggestions from the various posts suggested, I
    haven't had a problem since, but it's only been 30 minutes. So it's longer
    than I have had access in the past, but not long enough to say for sure.

    Thanks for the help,

    David McKinnon, Jun 23, 2004
  12. David McKinnon

    Maxx Guest

    I had the problem with the latest firmware, tried the free one from Sveasoft
    as well. No difference apart from the features. I also have all latest
    patches, drivers and tried the registry change suggested in the forum
    thread. After reading David McKinnon posts, I have to say that my problem is
    not exactly as his. I get longer uptime them him. I can stay connected for
    hours and then bang! I get the "absent key" thing. Now to be honest, I'm
    thinking that it may be something in the house, or at my neighbours, since I
    never have problem at work or elsewhere. Also, in my adventure, I tried the
    MN-700 from Microsoft and had the same problem. I sold it to a friend and
    she never has this problem.

    What bugs me to no end is: How is it possible for my card to see an
    excellent connection but not been able to give me an IP or let me use the
    internet? Could a cordless phone create that problem? I mean, would my
    signal just drop, instead of still showing up as Very Good or something?

    Also, sometimes, when the "key absent" persist, it will finally end up
    loosing the connection completely. At that moment, if I use Windows to
    search for WiFi, it finds nothing. But Netstumpler will see it and report it
    as using wep and been on the correct channel...

    Thanks very much for all your help.

    Maxx

    Maxx, Jun 23, 2004
  13. 2.4GHz cordless phones use the same wireless band as 802.11b/g
    wireless and can indeed cause interference and drops.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jun 23, 2004