Frequent Disconnections from Internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Howdy, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Howdy

    Howdy Guest

    download spybot search and destroy and run a full virus scan and see if that
    helps. lastly make sure you have all your windows critical updates done.

    "Dennis" <> wrote in message

    > Hi im on a cable connection. My computer is frequently disconnecting

    from
    > the internet. I have brought it back to the store that made the computer

    and
    > they have done a full hardware diagnostic and they have found no problems.

    > have had my isp come to my home and they have tested everything and it is
    > fine. I brought over another computer with the connection that I have at
    > home and there is no problems with the other computer disconnecting. I

    can
    > sometimes hold a connection with my computer for up to 4 hours then it

    will

    Howdy, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Howdy

    Dennis Guest

    Hi im on a cable connection. My computer is frequently disconnecting from
    the internet. I have brought it back to the store that made the computer and
    they have done a full hardware diagnostic and they have found no problems. I

    Dennis, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Dennis wrote:
    > Hi im on a cable connection. My computer is frequently disconnecting from
    > the internet. I have brought it back to the store that made the computer and
    > they have done a full hardware diagnostic and they have found no problems. I
    > have had my isp come to my home and they have tested everything and it is
    > fine. I brought over another computer with the connection that I have at
    > home and there is no problems with the other computer disconnecting. I can
    > sometimes hold a connection with my computer for up to 4 hours then it will
    > disconnect and after I restart it only remains online for a few minutes.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Are you using anything like ZoneAlarm? It sounds to me like you are
    blocking DHCP renewal.

    Look at your cable modem when you get disconnected; is the WAN light
    flashing or solid when this happens?

    Also try Start, Run, CMD.EXE (assuming you have XP, which is info you
    should include in your post) and type in

    IPCONFIG /RENEW

    and see if the DHCP address can be successfully renewed at that point, or
    if there is an error msg.

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Howdy

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:34:48 +0000, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:

    > download spybot search and destroy and run a full virus scan and see if that
    > helps. lastly make sure you have all your windows critical updates done.

    SpyBot Search'n'Destroy is not a virus scanner.
    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Howdy

    Richard Guest

    Dennis wrote:

    > Hi im on a cable connection. My computer is frequently disconnecting
    > from the internet. I have brought it back to the store that made the
    > computer and they have done a full hardware diagnostic and they have
    > found no problems. I have had my isp come to my home and they have tested
    > everything and it is fine. I brought over another computer with the
    > connection that I have at home and there is no problems with the other
    > computer disconnecting. I can sometimes hold a connection with my
    > computer for up to 4 hours then it will disconnect and after I restart
    > it only remains online for a few minutes.

    > thanks in advance.

    USB modem?
    If so, you're losing the signal through a bad cable.
    Replace it with a better grade of cable.
    I totally lost my connection one night.
    Tech guy was here for 3 hours and couldn't make it work.
    Later that evening I went to move the modem, cable wasn't long enough, so I
    put in a longer cable.
    Instantly back online.

    Richard, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Howdy

    Kráftéé Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > Hi im on a cable connection. My computer is frequently
    > disconnecting from the internet. I have brought it back to the
    > store that made the computer and they have done a full hardware
    > diagnostic and they have found no problems. I have had my isp come
    > to my home and they have tested everything and it is fine. I
    > brought over another computer with the connection that I have at
    > home and there is no problems with the other computer
    > disconnecting. I can sometimes hold a connection with my computer
    > for up to 4 hours then it will disconnect and after I restart it
    > only remains online for a few minutes.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Pocking in the dark as you've given no system information or software
    information...

    Do you use a USB modem by any chance? Have you got a VIA chipset by any
    chance???

    If so do not pass go, go straight to jail as there is a vast history of
    problems with the 2 (& it doesn't just affect VIA chipsets either but they
    are the main offenders). No I'm not saying that either is faulty, just that
    there is an eliment of incompatability, which can vary between machines..

    Best foolproof solution is to get rid of the USB modem completely & replace
    with either a Ethernet solution (best bet) or a PCI modem (I have heard of a
    few of those also suffering drop outs, but it is only a very few)..

    There you go it may be in the ball park, it may be miles out, but what do
    you expect if you can't be bothered enough to give any information at all.

    Kráftéé, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Howdy

    Sultan Guest

    Dennis wrote in news:kZMKb.8667$X%5.4250@pd7tw2no:

    > Hi im on a cable connection. My computer is frequently
    > disconnecting from
    > the internet. I have brought it back to the store that made the
    > computer and they have done a full hardware diagnostic and they have
    > found no problems. I have had my isp come to my home and they have
    > tested everything and it is fine. I brought over another computer with
    > the connection that I have at home and there is no problems with the
    > other computer disconnecting. I can sometimes hold a connection with
    > my computer for up to 4 hours then it will disconnect and after I
    > restart it only remains online for a few minutes.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    I have seen this before and every time it is because the persons e-mail
    settings are set to disconnect after downloading messages. Something so
    simple it is easily overlooked.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 8, 2004