    either using Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP home with the
    latest service packs and critical patches applied.

    Thanks for any pointers.

    Pacific Dragon, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > I seem to be constantly running into corrupt downloads, about 1 out of
    > every 6-8 files that I download (2MB+) appears to end up corrupt,
    > necessitating a re-download (In most cases the file downloads down Okay
    > on the 2nd attempt). I've noticed this tends to affect .exe installer
    > files, but suspecting it should not have anything to do with the type of
    > file downloaded.
    >
    > Is it actually normal to find that around every 8 files (that is larger
    > than a few megabytes) downloaded, corrupt? I'm suspecting that it's
    > probably not.
    >
    > Is there any diagnostic tests that can be performed on my end, to find
    > what could be causing corrupt downloads?
    >
    > Currently the computers are connected to a DynaLink RTA300V ADSL Router
    > which is flashed with the latest firmware from the Dynalink site. I've
    > noticed that the same ratio of corrupt downloads seem to be happening
    > regardless of what computer is used to download files. Computers are
    > either using Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP home with the
    > latest service packs and critical patches applied.

    I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
    download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
    Download manager is used to download files.

    Pacific Dragon, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Pacific Dragon

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:40:33 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
    > download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
    > Download manager is used to download files.

    Care to throw in your ISP, and geographical location into the mix? Not
    that it may be of any use.

    Gordon, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon

    David Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to be constantly running into corrupt downloads, about 1 out of
    >> every 6-8 files that I download (2MB+) appears to end up corrupt,
    >> necessitating a re-download (In most cases the file downloads down
    >> Okay on the 2nd attempt). I've noticed this tends to affect .exe
    >> installer files, but suspecting it should not have anything to do with
    >> the type of file downloaded.
    >>
    >> Is it actually normal to find that around every 8 files (that is
    >> larger than a few megabytes) downloaded, corrupt? I'm suspecting that
    >> it's probably not.
    >>
    >> Is there any diagnostic tests that can be performed on my end, to find
    >> what could be causing corrupt downloads?
    >>
    >> Currently the computers are connected to a DynaLink RTA300V ADSL
    >> Router which is flashed with the latest firmware from the Dynalink
    >> site. I've noticed that the same ratio of corrupt downloads seem to
    >> be happening regardless of what computer is used to download files.
    >> Computers are either using Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP
    >> home with the latest service packs and critical patches applied.

    > I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
    > download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
    > Download manager is used to download files.

    What happens when you download something using a p2p app that hashes and
    checks for corruption as it downloads (eg bittorrent or emule)

    David, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:40:33 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >

    >>I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
    >>download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
    >>Download manager is used to download files.

    > Care to throw in your ISP, and geographical location into the mix? Not
    > that it may be of any use.

    Currently connected using Jetstream Explorer (256k/bits down and
    128k/bits up) 3GB limit through Orcon (non-UBS) and connected via the
    Remuera Exchange (Auckland).

    The router normally connects at around 4300 Kbps Down and 832Kbps Up.
    Here is what is currently displayed in the router's control panel...

    --------------
    Line Mode T1.413
    Line State Show Time
    DS Speed 4352 Kbps
    US Speed 832 Kbps
    DS Latency Interleave
    US Latency Interleave
    Trellis Coding Enabled
    Loss of Signal 0
    Line Attenuation 43.5 dB
    Loss of Frame 0
    Noise Margin 13 dB
    CRC Error 1
    Line Up Count 1
    Error Second 1 seconds
    Line Up Time 0:03:18:41
    System Up Time 0:03:19:06

    --------------

    Pacific Dragon, Jan 23, 2005
  6. David wrote:

    > What happens when you download something using a p2p app that hashes and
    > checks for corruption as it downloads (eg bittorrent or emule)

    Not sure I have this right, but checking through Azureus, a file that is
    about 100MB large will normally have about 200kB's of data discarded.
    So far I have only downloaded 3 large (100-200MB) files using bit
    torrent, However they have all appeared to come out okay.

    Pacific Dragon, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Pacific Dragon

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:53:22 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >>
    >> What happens when you download something using a p2p app that hashes and
    >> checks for corruption as it downloads (eg bittorrent or emule)

    > Not sure I have this right, but checking through Azureus, a file that is
    > about 100MB large will normally have about 200kB's of data discarded.
    > So far I have only downloaded 3 large (100-200MB) files using bit
    > torrent, However they have all appeared to come out okay.

    200kB is not out of the ordinary for bittorrent, that data is not only
    corrupt data, but data recieved which wasn't needed (because you already
    had it from another source)

    -[Myth]-, Jan 26, 2005