Frequent Connection loss

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by clang1234@gmail.com, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I'm actually not positive this is a windows problem exclusively as this
    is a new(to me, but used) wireless router I'm using.
    So basically, over the summer my laptop started acting up. By this I
    mean that I would try to connect to a wireless network(not my current
    network), and sometimes it would go through, while most of the time is
    would hang at acquiring network address. I figured this was just a
    problem with that networks DHCP server.
    Then I moved to a new place and installed my own wireless network. At
    first I had everything connect with an Ethernet cable, just to get it
    all set up, and even with that I would get the "acquiring network
    address" problem. So I did some searching and found some services that
    needed to be turned on, and the problem went away for a bit.
    I set-up the wireless network (details below) and everything worked
    fine for a bit. At this point I was not broadcasting the SSID. After an
    hour or so of use, I lost my connect. I'm literally 5 feet from the
    wireless router at the time, so I know signal strength isn't the
    problem. I went back to a Ethernet connection and took a look at all
    the settings. With my laptop, I could no longer see my network as
    available in the windows wireless configuration thing. So I thought
    maybe its the lack of SSID broadcasting.
    So I turned it on. Everything worked for a while.
    Then I lost a connection again.
    This has been the pattern for the past couple of weeks. I'll get a
    connection, lose the connection, try a new setting(automatic ip
    address, user set ip address, permit only certain mac-address, clear
    arp cache, enable UPnP, disable it, etc...) and every time the
    connection will last for a little bit, and without any noticeable
    cause, lose connection.
    Some information about my set-up.
    I'm running P Pro sp2 with all the latest updates
    The router is a WRT54gx v.2 with latest firmware
    The connection encryption is using WPA-PSK TKIP.

    At this point I'm just looking for someone to help me with ideas. Even
    if you think I've tried it, I'll try it again, because I'm at a lose
    here.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And if any additional
    information is needed, just let me know.
    Thank you in advance.
    -Casey
    , Aug 27, 2006

  2. > I set-up the wireless network (details below) and everything worked
    > fine for a bit. At this point I was not broadcasting the SSID. After an
    > hour or so of use, I lost my connect. I'm literally 5 feet from the
    > wireless router at the time, so I know signal strength isn't the
    > problem. I went back to a Ethernet connection and took a look at all
    > the settings. With my laptop, I could no longer see my network as
    > available in the windows wireless configuration thing. So I thought
    > maybe its the lack of SSID broadcasting.
    > So I turned it on. Everything worked for a while.
    > Then I lost a connection again.
    > This has been the pattern for the past couple of weeks. ...
    > Some information about my set-up.
    > I'm running P Pro sp2 with all the latest updates
    > The router is a WRT54gx v.2 with latest firmware
    > The connection encryption is using WPA-PSK TKIP.

    I have a similar problem with the WRT54G. I contacted Linksys and they
    suggested Answer ID 154 from their Knowledge Base (www.linksys.com/kb).

    I tried it and (good news) it worked.

    But (bad news) it involved turning off encryption.

    I contacted Linksys again about getting encryption to work. I had been
    using WPA and they suggested trying WEP. I'm trying that now, and so far so
    good.

    I realize WEP is weaker than WPA, so I'm not as happy as I might be, but at
    least we're on-line. MAC address filtering is enabled for a bit more
    security.

    Currently contemplating next step.
    MyVeryOwnSelf, Aug 27, 2006

  3. Guest

    On 27-Aug-2006, wrote:

    > At this point I'm just looking for someone to help me with ideas. Even
    > if you think I've tried it, I'll try it again, because I'm at a lose
    > here.
    > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And if any additional
    > information is needed, just let me know.
    > Thank you in advance.

    Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    Then ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    This, when you hit Return, should put a file ipconfig.txt in C:\
    Open with a text editor (double click should be enough) or
    use Notepad.
    Do this when it works, and again when it doesn't, compare results.
    I suspect DHCP to lease network addresses is a one shot, if
    it fails, or times out, you are dead in the water, it waits and waits.
    If so try static addressing by entering the values you got from
    ipconfig when it works.
    Easy to do.
    Just untick the box let Windows manage this connection, then
    it will let you enter the figures you obtained when it works.
    If you don't succeed then it's no problem to retick the box.
    , Aug 27, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    > On 27-Aug-2006, wrote:
    >
    > > At this point I'm just looking for someone to help me with ideas. Even
    > > if you think I've tried it, I'll try it again, because I'm at a lose
    > > here.
    > > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And if any additional
    > > information is needed, just let me know.
    > > Thank you in advance.

    > Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    > Then ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    > This, when you hit Return, should put a file ipconfig.txt in C:\
    > Open with a text editor (double click should be enough) or
    > use Notepad.
    > Do this when it works, and again when it doesn't, compare results.
    > I suspect DHCP to lease network addresses is a one shot, if
    > it fails, or times out, you are dead in the water, it waits and waits.
    > If so try static addressing by entering the values you got from
    > ipconfig when it works.
    > Easy to do.
    > Just untick the box let Windows manage this connection, then
    > it will let you enter the figures you obtained when it works.
    > If you don't succeed then it's no problem to retick the box.

    Thank you for the suggestion. I've actually done this, and it did work
    for a while. But I am on multiple networks (school, home) and I can not
    assign my ip address at school myself. I tried to set up the home
    network using xp's "alternate configuration" tab, but it would either
    a)not notice the setting and assign me an address using dhcp or
    sometimes b)find the setting, use it, then fail. Any suggestion to get
    around this? Maybe a third party program (free if available).

    To the other suggestion, I'm in a very crowded apartment complex, right
    by a college who's students are mostly studying computer science. Kids
    here just like to screw peoples things up. So while I would like to try
    WEP, its just not an option. Thank you though for the suggestion.
    , Aug 28, 2006