French (or at least continental EU) Internet Photo printer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. I'm thinking of having some prints of local pictures made to send to
    friends who are spending several months in France. It crossed my mind
    that it might turn out to be cheaper and/or quicker to have them
    printed off digital files by a printing company *near them*, rather
    than shipping the prints across an ocean. Of course this might force
    me to deal with a non-English web site (and my French isn't much; I
    had three years of it, but it was from 3rd to 6th grade 40 years
    ago). I suppose using a printer in the UK would resolve that, and
    still be a lot closer to France than I am. Or perhaps a German
    company, my German was both more extensive and a bit more recent.

    So, does anybody know anything about the European competitors to
    Ofoto, Shutterfly, etc.?

    And does anybody know anything about speed and cost for sending stuff
    from the UK to France and from Germany to France? I'm assuming that
    France to France works reasonably well, but I suppose I could be being
    optimistic there.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 12, 2004

  2. David Dyer-Bennet

    Eric E Guest

    Hi,

    Sending stuff from the UK or Germany to France could a little expansive.
    I think that German mail would travel faster but I am not sure.
    As for French sites http://www.photoweb.fr/ enjoys a good reputation for
    quality, relatively low prices and fast delivery. Too bad for you :
    their site is in french only. A 10x15 ( centimeters ) print starts at
    0,20 euro and postage starts at 2 euro.

    Eric ESCUDIER

    Eric E, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Eric E <> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sending stuff from the UK or Germany to France could a little
    > expansive. I think that German mail would travel faster but I am not
    > sure.
    > As for French sites http://www.photoweb.fr/ enjoys a good reputation
    > for quality, relatively low prices and fast delivery. Too bad for you
    > : their site is in french only. A 10x15 ( centimeters ) print starts
    > at 0,20 euro and postage starts at 2 euro.

    Thanks I may try that. There's also, it turns out, an OFOTO "Europe"
    site (as well as English, French, and German OFOTO sites ???), which
    seems to have decent postage rates, and also has an English language
    option.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 12, 2004
  4. David Dyer-Bennet

    chris French Guest

    In message <-b.net>, David Dyer-Bennet
    <> writes

    >So, does anybody know anything about the European competitors to
    >Ofoto, Shutterfly, etc.?
    >
    >And does anybody know anything about speed and cost for sending stuff
    >from the UK to France and from Germany to France? I'm assuming that
    >France to France works reasonably well, but I suppose I could be being
    >optimistic there.

    My favoured one in the UK is Photobox, they will ship to the rest of
    Europe via Airmail (which is standard anyway I think for standard mail
    to the mainland)

    Uk - France postal service is usually quick and works ok
    --
    Chris French
    chris French, Aug 13, 2004
  5. David Dyer-Bennet

    Tibi Guest

    Tibi, Aug 13, 2004
  6. No wonder, David - Ofoto was taken over recently by Kodak, and as K. is
    currently proceeding to close down their film developing centers in a number
    of European countries they seem to be quite keen to participate in the
    growing digital printing business.

    Regards,

    Johannes

    Johannes Czernin, Aug 13, 2004