    and warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
    publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
    Department"[1] bill proposal pass in the Parliament.
    Mutley, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Mutley

    Allistar Guest

    Mutley wrote:

    > The French are as usual F..ing mad. I'd expect this sort of crap to
    > come out of the US legislators
    >
    > http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html
    >
    > Friday November 18th, 2005, French Department of Culture. SNEP and
    > SCPP have told Free Software authors: "You will be required to change
    > your licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software,"
    > and warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
    > publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
    > Department"[1] bill proposal pass in the Parliament.

    The above snippet is taken a tad out of context though. The objection by
    parliament is not of all open source software, only of open source software
    that is used in tools that are used to infringe copyrights.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Dec 8, 2005

  3. On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:58:03 +1300, someone purporting to be Allistar
    didst scrawl:

    > Mutley wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > The above snippet is taken a tad out of context though. The objection by
    > parliament is not of all open source software, only of open source software
    > that is used in tools that are used to infringe copyrights.

    So Linux and the BSDs, basically. Quite a few people have woken up to the
    fact that most copy-protection schemes don't effect non-MS/Apple operating
    systems and are making use of this to rip copies of their CDs. This is,
    technically, breaching copyright in at least some states of the EU.

    Also, that would make deCSS illegal in France, since it's OSS software
    that circumvents the crap protection on DVDs and allows them to be copied
    (amongst other heinous acts).

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Mutley

    brianM Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:33:41 +1000, Mutley wrote:

    > The French are as usual F..ing mad. I'd expect this sort of crap to
    > come out of the US legislators
    >
    > http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html
    >
    > Friday November 18th, 2005, French Department of Culture. SNEP and SCPP
    > have told Free Software authors: "You will be required to change your
    > licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
    > warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
    > publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
    > Department"[1] bill proposal pass in the Parliament.

    Must have their collective snouts in the proprietary trough.
    Something big from the dark side is pulling strings maybe.

    BrianM
    brianM, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Mutley

    Allistar Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:58:03 +1300, someone purporting to be Allistar
    > didst scrawl:
    >
    >> Mutley wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >> The above snippet is taken a tad out of context though. The objection by
    >> parliament is not of all open source software, only of open source
    >> software that is used in tools that are used to infringe copyrights.
    >>

    > So Linux and the BSDs, basically. Quite a few people have woken up to the
    > fact that most copy-protection schemes don't effect non-MS/Apple operating
    > systems and are making use of this to rip copies of their CDs. This is,
    > technically, breaching copyright in at least some states of the EU.
    >
    > Also, that would make deCSS illegal in France, since it's OSS software
    > that circumvents the crap protection on DVDs and allows them to be copied
    > (amongst other heinous acts).

    What they're saying is that if you write code designed to break copyright,
    they would rather you didn't release that code "into the wild".

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Dec 8, 2005