French Gov handing out Linux in schools

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    Jason Guest

    * Imhotep <>:
    > It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...
    >
    > http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/
    >
    > Im

    Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
    fixing xp boxs all damn day.

    Jason

    Jason, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Phil Guest

    Imhotep wrote:

    > It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

    This is strange ( and I speak as a Linux convert living in France). After
    all, France has very strict separation of state and religion - far stricter
    than in the US - and we all know that operating systems are a religious
    issue ;-)

    Phil, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Phil wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

    > This is strange ( and I speak as a Linux convert living in France). After
    > all, France has very strict separation of state and religion - far
    > stricter than in the US - and we all know that operating systems are a
    > religious issue ;-)

    For some perhaps...

    Imhotep, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > * Imhotep <>:
    >> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...
    >>
    >> http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/
    >>
    >> Im

    > Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
    > fixing xp boxs all damn day.
    >
    > Jason

    ....I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

    Imhotep, Aug 13, 2005
  6. "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > Jason wrote:
    >
    > > * Imhotep <>:
    > >> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...
    > >>
    > >> http://lwn.net/Articles/147174/
    > >>
    > >> Im

    > > Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
    > > fixing xp boxs all damn day.
    > >
    > > Jason

    > ...I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

    (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
    Which happens to be Windows.

    If there is ever that big shift to Linux (due in 1996, if memory serves),
    then it'll get written for Linux. And /please/ don't try to convince me that
    it's somehow magically immune from bugs - there's *always* one more bug.

    According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between security-by-obscurity
    and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is something
    more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the same
    analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the fact that
    it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >> Jason wrote:

    >> > Which my govt would do that. Would be a heck of a lot more fun then
    >> > fixing xp boxs all damn day.
    >> >
    >> > Jason

    >> ...I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

    > (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
    > Which happens to be Windows.

    You are partially right and wrong. I have many friends that, well, partake
    in "security testing and coding adventures". They are opportunists and as
    such will code for whatever is the easiest to hack/crack. They do not care
    what the os is...

    The problem with windows is that they constructed a lot of their technology
    with the focus to enforce their business strategy. Rather than staying pure
    to using the best technology. For example Window's registry is a POS. It
    was designed to force companies into being a "business partner" of
    Microsoft. They intentionally made it cryptic. By doing that they also
    caused many problems for the OS....

    > If there is ever that big shift to Linux (due in 1996, if memory serves),
    > then it'll get written for Linux. And /please/ don't try to convince me
    > that it's somehow magically immune from bugs - there's *always* one more
    > bug.

    Never said Linux/BSD is perfect. I said Linux/BSD is BETTER...

    > According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between security-by-obscurity
    > and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is something
    > more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the same
    > analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the fact that
    > it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)

    Not true. Many of Linux/BSD is coded to the standards which are designed by
    many, many qualified individuals around the World. These are very, very
    talented individuals. Furthermore, since the code is written using the
    standards, and you can view it for yourself, it is security that way it
    should be.

    I had a chance to view Microsoft code in College. My school was working with
    Microsoft on a project and I was a team member. It was the worse code I
    have ever viewed...can you say the same? Probably not as they hide their
    code then sell you crap like "Get the Facts". I am really surprised at how
    well Microsoft zombiefies a lot of people....I would love to study the
    psychology behind it some day. That company can convice an Eskimo that he
    should buy a 1/2 ton of ice cubes every month. I guess most people really
    are quite stupid....

    Imhotep, Aug 14, 2005
  8. "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    >
    > > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > >> ...I am also sick of the spyware trap...just not fun anymore.

    > > (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
    > > Which happens to be Windows.

    > You are partially right and wrong. I have many friends that, well, partake
    > in "security testing and coding adventures". They are opportunists and as
    > such will code for whatever is the easiest to hack/crack. They do not care
    > what the os is...

    Spyware != hack/crack attempts

    > The problem with windows is that they constructed a lot of their

    technology
    > with the focus to enforce their business strategy. Rather than staying

    pure
    > to using the best technology. For example Window's registry is a POS. It
    > was designed to force companies into being a "business partner" of
    > Microsoft. They intentionally made it cryptic. By doing that they also
    > caused many problems for the OS....

    (Cough) Speaking as one who used Windows 2 in anger (that many lock ups and
    freezes would get *anyone* angry, believe me ;o), th plethora of PIF and INI
    files was a right PITA. The registry concept is quite a bit older than
    Win95. Can't remember where it first came from (PARC wouldn't surprise me).

    <snip>

    > > According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between

    security-by-obscurity
    > > and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is

    something
    > > more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the same
    > > analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the fact

    that
    > > it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)
    > >

    > Not true. Many of Linux/BSD is coded to the standards which are designed

    by
    > many, many qualified individuals around the World. These are very, very
    > talented individuals. Furthermore, since the code is written using the
    > standards, and you can view it for yourself, it is security that way it
    > should be.

    Actually, read what I wrote. An analyst isn't anything to do with
    programming - I'm talking people like Gartner, IDC, et al.

    Neither Linux or BSD have adopted any *coding* standards that I am aware
    of - just standards for things like protocols. Which everyone has to use in
    order to interoperate (with greater or lesser degree of compliance).

    > I had a chance to view Microsoft code in College. My school was working

    with
    > Microsoft on a project and I was a team member. It was the worse code I
    > have ever viewed...can you say the same?

    Say what? That I've been to college (yes), that I've worked on a shared
    product with MS (no, but my company have), that I've been a member or a team
    (yes), or that I've seen MS source code (yes, at a previous company)?

    It most certainly wasn't the worst code that I've seen; that dubious
    privilege goes to one Ravi Patel, late of CAP Gemini Sogeti. The man had a
    goddamn' GOTO fetish.. my personal record was ripping-out three pages of
    FORTRAN and replacing it with five lines of code.

    > Probably not as they hide their
    > code then sell you crap like "Get the Facts". I am really surprised at how
    > well Microsoft zombiefies a lot of people....I would love to study the
    > psychology behind it some day. That company can convice an Eskimo that he
    > should buy a 1/2 ton of ice cubes every month. I guess most people really
    > are quite stupid....

    Quite possibly.. like those who believe *nix to be in any way.. new.

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>

    >> > (Cough) Spyware is written for the platform that most people are using.
    >> > Which happens to be Windows.

    >> You are partially right and wrong. I have many friends that, well,
    >> partake in "security testing and coding adventures". They are
    >> opportunists and as such will code for whatever is the easiest to
    >> hack/crack. They do not care what the os is...

    > Spyware != hack/crack attempts

    if(Spyware == Microsoft problem )
    {
    while(1)
    printf("I am a idiot for purchasing a Microsoft product\n");
    }

    >> The problem with windows is that they constructed a lot of their

    > technology
    >> with the focus to enforce their business strategy. Rather than staying

    > pure
    >> to using the best technology. For example Window's registry is a POS. It
    >> was designed to force companies into being a "business partner" of
    >> Microsoft. They intentionally made it cryptic. By doing that they also
    >> caused many problems for the OS....

    > (Cough) Speaking as one who used Windows 2 in anger (that many lock ups
    > and freezes would get *anyone* angry, believe me ;o), th plethora of PIF
    > and INI files was a right PITA. The registry concept is quite a bit older
    > than Win95. Can't remember where it first came from (PARC wouldn't
    > surprise me).
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> > According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between

    > security-by-obscurity
    >> > and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is

    > something
    >> > more talked about than performed). Mind you, these are probably the
    >> > same analysts that predicted a dominant Linux desktop, and missed the
    >> > fact

    > that
    >> > it's likely to be the dominant mainframe OS in a decade or so ;o)
    >> >

    >> Not true. Many of Linux/BSD is coded to the standards which are designed

    > by
    >> many, many qualified individuals around the World. These are very, very
    >> talented individuals. Furthermore, since the code is written using the
    >> standards, and you can view it for yourself, it is security that way it
    >> should be.

    > Actually, read what I wrote. An analyst isn't anything to do with
    > programming - I'm talking people like Gartner, IDC, et al.

    Not following you on this. Please explain...

    > Neither Linux or BSD have adopted any *coding* standards that I am aware
    > of - just standards for things like protocols. Which everyone has to use
    > in order to interoperate (with greater or lesser degree of compliance).

    I am talking about coding to protocol standards....Having an OS/Application
    that is standards based, to me, is the most important thing....

    >> I had a chance to view Microsoft code in College. My school was working

    > with
    >> Microsoft on a project and I was a team member. It was the worse code I
    >> have ever viewed...can you say the same?

    > Say what? That I've been to college (yes), that I've worked on a shared
    > product with MS (no, but my company have), that I've been a member or a
    > team (yes), or that I've seen MS source code (yes, at a previous company)?
    >
    > It most certainly wasn't the worst code that I've seen; that dubious
    > privilege goes to one Ravi Patel, late of CAP Gemini Sogeti. The man had a
    > goddamn' GOTO fetish.. my personal record was ripping-out three pages of
    > FORTRAN and replacing it with five lines of code.
    >
    >> Probably not as they hide their
    >> code then sell you crap like "Get the Facts". I am really surprised at
    >> how well Microsoft zombiefies a lot of people....I would love to study
    >> the psychology behind it some day. That company can convice an Eskimo
    >> that he should buy a 1/2 ton of ice cubes every month. I guess most
    >> people really are quite stupid....

    > Quite possibly.. like those who believe *nix to be in any way.. new.

    True. I have meet many people who say "Red Hat" that is a computer language
    right? I usually just laugh...

    Imhotep, Aug 15, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:32:12 +0200, Phil <> wrote:

    >Imhotep wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that governments are getting involved with Lunix...

    >This is strange ( and I speak as a Linux convert living in France). After
    >all, France has very strict separation of state and religion - far stricter
    >than in the US - and we all know that operating systems are a religious
    >issue ;-)

    The French hate Microsoft (even more than most people hate Microsoft)
    because they are jealous of its success. The fact that it is an
    American Company really irks them, especially government officials.
    There are many more examples.

    1. Many French are sensitive about American Movies, but again there
    is this jealousy because American Movies are the most popular in the
    world. They even sabotaged a movie that was French made (A Fairly
    Long Engagement) from awards and recognition because the production
    was funded partially with American money from an American studio.

    2. The one American many French profess to admire (besides Jerry
    Lewis) is Walt Disney. Yet when Disneyland Paris opened in France,
    many critics claimed it would be a "Cultural Chernobyl".

    3. The French hate the fact that Boeing (again an American Company)
    is a dominant manufacturer of aircraft in the aviation industry and
    were instrumental in creating Airbus (Headquartered in Toulouse,
    France) to compete, constantly drawing on heavy government subsidies.

    4. France is heavily dependant upon tourism for its economy and a
    large number of those tourists used to be Americans. Guess what?
    Many of those Americans are no longer considered spending their
    tourist money in France. One reason is that the Euro (again, an
    invention that was mostly promoted by France) is so high, that the
    American Dollar is mostly in the dumps as far as exchange rate. Who
    wants to be ripped off for a cup of coffee or a hotel room? If you
    do, you might like visiting France.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Aug 15, 2005
  11. "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    <snip>

    > > Actually, read what I wrote. An analyst isn't anything to do with
    > > programming - I'm talking people like Gartner, IDC, et al.

    > Not following you on this. Please explain...

    Take a look at Gartner.com, or one of the mainstream IT news sites - you'll
    soon get the idea.

    > > Neither Linux or BSD have adopted any *coding* standards that I am aware
    > > of - just standards for things like protocols. Which everyone has to use
    > > in order to interoperate (with greater or lesser degree of compliance).

    > I am talking about coding to protocol standards....Having an

    OS/Application
    > that is standards based, to me, is the most important thing....

    Personally, I prefer something that just /works/.

    Either way, if one has knowledge of a particular standard, one can always
    code to it *and* handle exceptions (like a few *nix types forgetting that
    many RFCs have CR+LF terminators, rather than just LF. That's surprisingly
    common).

    Pick the platform that does the job best for your particular application. I
    usually have a mix of Windows, virtual IBM mainframe, Linux, and Solaris at
    home; no RH at the moment, though - some idiot broke the installer, so that
    it doesn't cope with my LCD panel. Must get around to fixing that at some
    point...

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Imhotep

    Management Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:
    <SNIP>
    > The French hate Microsoft (even more than most people hate Microsoft)
    > because they are jealous of its success.

    <SNIP>
    Can you please refer me to the research to back this up, also I
    would love to see pictures of some of the millions of French PC
    users reluctantly using Windows.

    > 1. Many French are sensitive about American Movies, but again there
    > is this jealousy because American Movies are the most popular in the
    > world.

    It does not pay to confuse popularity with quality :)

    > 2. The one American many French profess to admire (besides Jerry
    > Lewis) is Walt Disney. Yet when Disneyland Paris opened in France,
    > many critics claimed it would be a "Cultural Chernobyl".

    But Disneyland *is* naff! (Unless you are under 10 years old.)

    > 3. The French hate the fact that Boeing (again an American Company)
    > is a dominant manufacturer of aircraft in the aviation industry and
    > were instrumental in creating Airbus (Headquartered in Toulouse,
    > France) to compete, constantly drawing on heavy government subsidies.

    We brits make the wings - very good wings they are too and the
    planes are as much a pleasure to fly in as jumbos. The reality is
    that America and Europe can each afford to have only one
    manufacturer of large aircraft and they both need to be subsidised
    in one way or another.

    <SNIP>
    One reason is that the Euro (again, an
    > invention that was mostly promoted by France)is so high, that the
    > American Dollar is mostly in the dumps as far as exchange rate.

    The *low* value of the Euro has been a joke here for years. You need
    to look nearer to home, the dollar fell with the American economy -
    the Euro has been pretty stable against sterling (60-70 pence)over
    recent years whilst the dollar fell like lead towards 2 to the pound
    sterling. (It has risen somewhat lately.)

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org

    Management, Aug 15, 2005
  13. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Management wrote:

    > Beachcomber wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    >> The French hate Microsoft (even more than most people hate Microsoft)
    >> because they are jealous of its success.

    > <SNIP>
    > Can you please refer me to the research to back this up, also I
    > would love to see pictures of some of the millions of French PC
    > users reluctantly using Windows.
    >

    >> 1. Many French are sensitive about American Movies, but again there
    >> is this jealousy because American Movies are the most popular in the
    >> world.

    > It does not pay to confuse popularity with quality :)
    >

    >> 2. The one American many French profess to admire (besides Jerry
    >> Lewis) is Walt Disney. Yet when Disneyland Paris opened in France,
    >> many critics claimed it would be a "Cultural Chernobyl".

    > But Disneyland *is* naff! (Unless you are under 10 years old.)
    >
    >> 3. The French hate the fact that Boeing (again an American Company)
    >> is a dominant manufacturer of aircraft in the aviation industry and
    >> were instrumental in creating Airbus (Headquartered in Toulouse,
    >> France) to compete, constantly drawing on heavy government subsidies.
    >>

    > We brits make the wings - very good wings they are too and the
    > planes are as much a pleasure to fly in as jumbos. The reality is
    > that America and Europe can each afford to have only one
    > manufacturer of large aircraft and they both need to be subsidised
    > in one way or another.
    >
    > <SNIP>
    > One reason is that the Euro (again, an
    >> invention that was mostly promoted by France)is so high, that the
    >> American Dollar is mostly in the dumps as far as exchange rate.

    > The *low* value of the Euro has been a joke here for years. You need
    > to look nearer to home, the dollar fell with the American economy -
    > the Euro has been pretty stable against sterling (60-70 pence)over
    > recent years whilst the dollar fell like lead towards 2 to the pound
    > sterling. (It has risen somewhat lately.)
    >

    > Charlie.
    >

    >> Beachcomber

    The point is that linux is moving forward...That is the point.

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Aug 16, 2005
  14. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >> > Actually, read what I wrote. An analyst isn't anything to do with
    >> > programming - I'm talking people like Gartner, IDC, et al.

    >> Not following you on this. Please explain...

    > Take a look at Gartner.com, or one of the mainstream IT news sites -
    > you'll soon get the idea.

    I have used Gartner over the years. Yes, I am very famalar with them.
    However, I am asking you to restate your point, that is what I do not
    understand.

    >> > Neither Linux or BSD have adopted any *coding* standards that I am
    >> > aware of - just standards for things like protocols. Which everyone has
    >> > to use in order to interoperate (with greater or lesser degree of
    >> > compliance).

    >> I am talking about coding to protocol standards....Having an

    > OS/Application
    >> that is standards based, to me, is the most important thing....

    > Personally, I prefer something that just /works/.
    >
    > Either way, if one has knowledge of a particular standard, one can always
    > code to it *and* handle exceptions (like a few *nix types forgetting that
    > many RFCs have CR+LF terminators, rather than just LF. That's surprisingly
    > common).
    >
    > Pick the platform that does the job best for your particular application.
    > I usually have a mix of Windows, virtual IBM mainframe, Linux, and Solaris
    > at home; no RH at the moment, though - some idiot broke the installer, so
    > that it doesn't cope with my LCD panel. Must get around to fixing that at
    > some point...

    That has been fixed.

    Imhotep, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Imhotep

    Management Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > Management wrote:

    > The point is that linux is moving forward...That is the point.
    >
    > Imhotep

    I've no argument with that - just his inept prejudices!

    I had good experiences with Suse 8.2 and I expect it's come on since
    then, hope to have a spare box shortly so I intend to load that with
    the latest version of Suse. I like XP but when it creases to be
    supported I won't be forking out for tarted up version of the same!

    Charlie.

    Management, Aug 16, 2005
  16. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Management wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> Management wrote:

    >> The point is that linux is moving forward...That is the point.
    >>
    >> Imhotep

    > I've no argument with that - just his inept prejudices!
    >
    > I had good experiences with Suse 8.2 and I expect it's come on since
    > then, hope to have a spare box shortly so I intend to load that with
    > the latest version of Suse. I like XP but when it creases to be
    > supported I won't be forking out for tarted up version of the same!
    >
    > Charlie.

    What pisses me off even more than forcing people to "upgrade or attrition"
    that Microsoft suckers people into, is the "Trusted Computing" scam that
    they are gearing up to force down peoples mouths. The idea that any
    company, even Red Hat, has ultimate control over my PC is the most angering
    of thoughts...I have a feeling that they are going to severely shoot
    themselves in the foot (hopefully head)

    Imhotep, Aug 16, 2005
  17. Imhotep

    Steve Welsh Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > Management wrote:
    >

    >>Imhotep wrote:
    >>
    >>>Management wrote:

    >>>The point is that linux is moving forward...That is the point.
    >>>
    >>>Imhotep

    >>I've no argument with that - just his inept prejudices!
    >>
    >>I had good experiences with Suse 8.2 and I expect it's come on since
    >>then, hope to have a spare box shortly so I intend to load that with
    >>the latest version of Suse. I like XP but when it creases to be
    >>supported I won't be forking out for tarted up version of the same!
    >>
    >>Charlie.
    >>

    > What pisses me off even more than forcing people to "upgrade or attrition"
    > that Microsoft suckers people into, is the "Trusted Computing" scam that
    > they are gearing up to force down peoples mouths. The idea that any
    > company, even Red Hat, has ultimate control over my PC is the most angering
    > of thoughts...I have a feeling that they are going to severely shoot
    > themselves in the foot (hopefully head)

    Agree! Trusted computing? According to Emporer Bill, or who? Holywood?
    Fritz Hollings?

    _I_ run my machines - not Bill, not Linus, not anybody. When the time
    comes that all the kit is going to be chipped to 'phone home', I'll buy
    several items of the last available pre-phone-home kit, and just go on
    the 'darkside'.

    Steve

    Steve Welsh, Aug 16, 2005
  18. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Steve Welsh wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> Management wrote:

    >>>I've no argument with that - just his inept prejudices!
    >>>
    >>>I had good experiences with Suse 8.2 and I expect it's come on since
    >>>then, hope to have a spare box shortly so I intend to load that with
    >>>the latest version of Suse. I like XP but when it creases to be
    >>>supported I won't be forking out for tarted up version of the same!
    >>>
    >>>Charlie.
    >>>

    >> What pisses me off even more than forcing people to "upgrade or
    >> attrition" that Microsoft suckers people into, is the "Trusted Computing"
    >> scam that they are gearing up to force down peoples mouths. The idea that
    >> any company, even Red Hat, has ultimate control over my PC is the most
    >> angering of thoughts...I have a feeling that they are going to severely
    >> shoot themselves in the foot (hopefully head)

    > Agree! Trusted computing? According to Emporer Bill, or who? Holywood?
    > Fritz Hollings?
    >
    > _I_ run my machines - not Bill, not Linus, not anybody. When the time
    > comes that all the kit is going to be chipped to 'phone home', I'll buy
    > several items of the last available pre-phone-home kit, and just go on
    > the 'darkside'.
    >
    > Steve

    ....agreed.

    Imhotep, Aug 17, 2005
  19. "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > > Take a look at Gartner.com, or one of the mainstream IT news sites -
    > > you'll soon get the idea.

    > I have used Gartner over the years. Yes, I am very famalar with them.
    > However, I am asking you to restate your point, that is what I do not
    > understand.

    Hmm. maybe it's a language thing? Time to quote...

    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    > According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between security-by-obscurity
    > and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is something
    > more talked about than performed).

    Now, by "50-50" I meant that it's evenly split between the two sides: that
    no being open source is approximately as effecive as being open source, when
    it comes to security. Thus spake the analysts.

    From my own POV, I keep hearing how much better it is that people inspect
    other people's code, and fix it. But I've never met anyone that did that. Or
    anyone that knew someone that did that. Or anyone who had a friend who know
    someone...

    Hell, I contribute (at at least /have/ contributed) to OS myself - people
    tend to find a bug when they are using a particular aspect.

    With literally millions of downloads, how could even 0.01% (hundreds of
    dedicated techies) have missed the holes in OpenSSL and the Linux kernel?
    Assuming, of course, that these people actually exist, as opposed to the
    couple of people involved in the development of specific aspects or
    products. Or developers breaking that precise aspect of the code?

    > > Pick the platform that does the job best for your particular

    application.
    > > I usually have a mix of Windows, virtual IBM mainframe, Linux, and

    Solaris
    > > at home; no RH at the moment, though - some idiot broke the installer,

    so
    > > that it doesn't cope with my LCD panel. Must get around to fixing that

    at
    > > some point...

    > That has been fixed.

    Glad to hear that. Could you point me towards the patch that fixed my
    particular version...? (Cough)

    H1K

    P.S. Being marginally less cruel, it seemed to have been a major problem
    with Gnome - even manually editing the files to match the monitor
    characteristics failed to help. After a couple of months, I temporarily
    stuck MSDN Windoze on there, just to be able to run Ethereal (couldn't find
    my old installation CDs).

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 17, 2005
  20. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    >> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    >> > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    >> > Take a look at Gartner.com, or one of the mainstream IT news sites -
    >> > you'll soon get the idea.

    >> I have used Gartner over the years. Yes, I am very famalar with them.
    >> However, I am asking you to restate your point, that is what I do not
    >> understand.

    > Hmm. maybe it's a language thing? Time to quote...
    >
    > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    >

    >> According to the analysts, it's split 50-50 between security-by-obscurity
    >> and security-by-peer-review (which, judging by my experience, is
    >> something more talked about than performed).

    > Now, by "50-50" I meant that it's evenly split between the two sides: that
    > no being open source is approximately as effecive as being open source,
    > when it comes to security. Thus spake the analysts.

    First, Gartner is not the Gospel. I used to have an account with the for
    many years. They do have some good people and info but, they are not
    perfect. When researching I take their point of view into account, but I
    also take it "with a grain of sand".

    > From my own POV, I keep hearing how much better it is that people inspect
    > other people's code, and fix it. But I've never met anyone that did that.
    > Or anyone that knew someone that did that. Or anyone who had a friend who
    > know someone...

    Not true. You should have been taught from college about peer code review. I
    personally have been all over the BSD IP protocol stack not just looking
    for bugs but also to better understand socket/server programming.

    Many theoretical security holes have been patched, BEFORE ANY CODE WAS
    WRITTEN, by code review.

    1) sendmail about 2 years ago. It was theorized that the structure of
    sendmail be split into a client and server within the same server because
    of a theoretical security hole

    2) Recently ssh was being looked at. It was discovered that because of the
    way Intel has designed it's hyperthreading CPU it COULD be possible for one
    thread to "peek" at data for another thread (within the same thread
    "family").

    3) Other open source applications have benefited from code review also, but
    I will leave that for the readers homework. :)

    ....the point is that open source works in many ways. First, it allows anyone
    who is writting application code to view how the code (underneath the API
    level) is structured. Resulting in tighter and more secure code. Second,
    there are people who do review the code looking for possible problems
    (again review #1 and #2 above).

    > Hell, I contribute (at at least /have/ contributed) to OS myself - people
    > tend to find a bug when they are using a particular aspect.

    Sure sometimes people find a problem when writting code for a particular
    application. There again, they can verify that it is really a security hole
    by looking at the code below.

    > With literally millions of downloads, how could even 0.01% (hundreds of
    > dedicated techies) have missed the holes in OpenSSL and the Linux kernel?

    Be more specific. Which holes?

    > Assuming, of course, that these people actually exist, as opposed to the
    > couple of people involved in the development of specific aspects or
    > products. Or developers breaking that precise aspect of the code?

    Yes, these people really exist...

    >> > Pick the platform that does the job best for your particular

    > application.
    >> > I usually have a mix of Windows, virtual IBM mainframe, Linux, and

    > Solaris
    >> > at home; no RH at the moment, though - some idiot broke the installer,

    > so
    >> > that it doesn't cope with my LCD panel. Must get around to fixing that

    > at
    >> > some point...

    >> That has been fixed.

    > Glad to hear that. Could you point me towards the patch that fixed my
    > particular version...? (Cough)

    Ah....why all the coughing, gota cold? You patch is included in Red Hat FC
    4...

    Imhotep, Aug 18, 2005