    compressed air to no avail. I can't even run Nortons scan disc for virus'
    because it freezes up after only completing about 10 minutes of the scan.
    Helpful advice would be appreciated.

    Wellygoggles, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Wellygoggles

    Alan Howard Guest

    I had a problem like this a few years ago. Root cause was a siezed power
    supply fan causing the case temp to overheat. Check that your fans are free
    of dust and rotating freely. Also check for (and remove) any layers of dust
    that may have built up on onboard components.

    Alan

    Alan Howard, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Wellygoggles

    John Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:04:40 +1300, "Wellygoggles"
    <> wrote:

    Freezing or over heating?
    Any failed fans?
    Take longer to halt with the lid off?
    Freeze when in the BIOS or at the dos prompt?

    John, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Wellygoggles

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > Help please. My PC keeps freezing up and getting progressively worse. I
    > have to wait about 10 minutes before it will boot up again. Used a can of
    > compressed air to no avail. I can't even run Nortons scan disc for virus'
    > because it freezes up after only completing about 10 minutes of the scan.
    > Helpful advice would be appreciated.

    Boot up into the bios,
    leave it 10 mins see if it freezes while in the bios.. if so start checking
    internal hardware.. reseat cpu and make sure fans are clean of dust and
    working

    Craig Sutton, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Wellygoggles

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > What make of PC, how old etc.
    > Faulty Power supply can do this. If fans are ok then most
    > likely a faulty motherboard.
    >
    > Check the power supply fan & cpu fan (make sure they stay running ALL
    > THE TIME. Look for dust buildup under the fan. Try differnt RAM if
    > possible.
    > Look at the caps on the motherboard, see if any are buldging
    > Remove all cards except for Video. Then try another video card

    Bulging caps sounds familiar. I had a PC that did the exact thing the OP
    describes and it has 9 caps bulging. (Although it might maybe be only one or
    two of them causing it, it ran fine for a while and I doubt they all started
    bulging at the same time).
    --
    ~misfit~

    Steve Robertson, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    > Help please. My PC keeps freezing up and getting progressively worse. I
    > have to wait about 10 minutes before it will boot up again. Used a can of
    > compressed air to no avail. I can't even run Nortons scan disc for virus'
    > because it freezes up after only completing about 10 minutes of the scan.
    > Helpful advice would be appreciated.

    Thank you petals and petalettes - I think it was heat build up! I
    appreciate all you kind peeps trying to help me - grazie amigos!

    Wellygoggles, Jan 1, 2004