Freezing While Accessing Certain Folders

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hey guys,

    For some reason, when I try accessing a folder, on either of my
    hard-drives, Explorer would freeze and would have to be shut down. I am
    sometimes able to access a folder, but when moving a level up, it'd
    freeze.

    I ran SFC, Defrag and CHKDSK. I also scanned for spyware and viruses
    with the following: Ad-aware SE Personal 1.01, AVG Anti-Virus 7.0,
    CWSShredder 1.57, Trendmicro's Housecall, Symantec Security Check, and
    Panda Activescan. A few virus-containing files were found but the
    computer wasn't infected with any of them. (I also regularly go through
    the Registry to see what start-up with the computer.)

    Could it be a virus the software mentioned above wasn't able to detect?
    Any solution that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows or using System
    restore (which had always been turned off on my computer)?

    I'd appreciate any help,

    Tom.
    Tom, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Tom

    Jerry G. Guest

    Get a copy of a good RAM tester software (memory tester), and run it for a
    number of hours to see if you are having a failing RAM. If the RAM passes,
    run Scandisk in details with corrections.

    If all the above passes, there may be some corruption in the registry. This
    would be hard to locate. At this point, you may have to backup all the user
    files, and re-install the operating system.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 23, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:08:16 -0500, "Jerry G." <>
    wrote:

    | Get a copy of a good RAM tester software (memory tester), and run it for a
    | number of hours to see if you are having a failing RAM. If the RAM passes,
    | run Scandisk in details with corrections.
    |
    | If all the above passes, there may be some corruption in the registry. This
    | would be hard to locate. At this point, you may have to backup all the user
    | files, and re-install the operating system.

    Thank you Jerry,

    The problem was fixed. I haven't done a lot except moving some files
    (which I suspected were causing the problem in the first place) to my
    other HDD.

    I ran Scandisk (CHKDSK) with the F parameter ("switch"). I'm guessing
    we're referring to the same tool.

    I haven't installed anything or modified the registry lately, so I don't
    believe this is what was causing the problem.

    I will test the RAM on my computer anyway.

    Thanks again.
    Tom, Mar 24, 2005