Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Cheese_Thief, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. Cheese_Thief

    Cheese_Thief Guest

    I have been trying to troubleshoot a freezing problem I've been having
    with my workstation. The problem is, that quite frequently, my computer
    will freeze (which is non-recoverable = reboot). The freezes occur when
    I attempt to play video files, play computer games, and sometimes when
    I am simultaneously listening to music and surfing the Internet. I
    thought I may have inserted the memory sticks incorrectly or they may
    be the wrong type. I even bought a fan designed to fit over my memory
    sticks. However, after reviewing my motherboard manufacturer's
    information, I found it was the correct type (even tried inserting them
    in different arrangements). Which leaves me to believe my problem may
    be either my video card or I have the wrong motherboard for my dual
    Xeon's. I have diabled the onboard ATI 3D-RAGE XL video adapter and am
    using a PCI Express x16 card. I have also updated the Bios and other
    Firmware for my motherboard.

    Specs:

    Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz (HT)
    Intel Server Board SE7525GP2
    2 x 1 GB ECC DDR 184 pin DIMMs
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (PCI Express x16)

    If anyone has any ideas to what may be causing my frequent freezes I
    would be forever thankful. If any additional information is needed,
    please let me know.

    Thank you in advance...
    Cheese_Thief, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Such problems can be so hard to locate - first try and reset your BIOS to
    it's default and then start disabling things. Disable any of the options in
    the BIOS that you are not using, things like Serial and Parallel ports (not
    that these two would normally matter much, but a side effect is that you can
    have the machine boot faster!) you can disable all of that in one go, later
    you should make only one change at a time and reboot and see if there is any
    change, this is plenty tedious work, and there is no point in working up a
    frenzy, this can take quite some time, so do it in the course of the normal
    kind of operations of a normal day.

    In the course of the normal day you could then try and disable the Internet
    and other networking that isn't necessary for the next of those things you
    will be undertaking that you know may trigger the problem. Try and not
    listen to music in the same manner to see if you can find a kind of common
    behaviour.

    Also, how old is the machine - who built it, and what sound card are you
    using, report back and someone may come up with a good idea - someone often
    do!

    I should mention too, that not rarely is this kind of trouble connected with
    temperature and/or frequency and power supply, and memory to as you suggest.
    Make sure you are not over-clocking, you could even try and under-clock 5%,
    and set everything to it's most basic setting. What is your PSU and what
    kind of case are you having?

    With a bit of patience, and taking the systematic approach, you should be
    able to find the root of this.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 1, 2006

  3. A good monitoring application would help here. Something like Everest or
    SpeedFan.

    Also look at possible software interactions. We've seen reports of system
    freezes lately with current beta of ZoneAlarm, for example.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Cheese_Thief

    Cheese_Thief Guest

    Thank you both for your suggestions. I will follow your advice and see
    what I find. Thanks again.
    Cheese_Thief, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Cheese_Thief

    Cheese_Thief Guest

    Oh, by the way, I built the system myself. My sound card is a Creative
    SB Live! Value (CT4780) Sound Card. By PSU I assume you mean my power
    supply? It is 530W. If anymore information is needed, please let me know
    Cheese_Thief, Jun 1, 2006