Freezing PC.. help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by t8769, Oct 17, 2007.

  1. t8769

    t8769 Guest

    Every once in a while my PC freezes for a few minutes.

    I've re-installed the XP operating system after wiping the HD

    I've replaced the Hard disk

    I've uninstalled software that might be causing this.. I'm only using
    software I've had for a long time that's been ok (MagicNotes,
    MacroScheduler, RSI Guard, Creative, LIveOneCare, Mouse software etc).

    I did get 2 x 1G memory, so I tried swapping them around with one of
    the old memory, but each time I did this, the problem persisted.

    I'm not sure what to do now..

    I know its not the HD, any ideas?

    Thanks!

    t8769, Oct 17, 2007

  2. On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:40:19 -0700, t8769 <> wrote:

    >Every once in a while my PC freezes for a few minutes.

    That's what some processors do when they are running too hot.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd
    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Oct 17, 2007

  3. t8769

    old man Guest

    Did you look in Event Viewer?

    After reinstalling you installed mobo and other drivers from source and NOT
    winupdate?

    old man, Oct 17, 2007
  4. t8769

    John Holmes Guest

    t8769 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Every once in a while my PC freezes for a few minutes.
    >
    > I've re-installed the XP operating system after wiping the HD
    >
    > I've replaced the Hard disk
    >
    > I've uninstalled software that might be causing this.. I'm only using
    > software I've had for a long time that's been ok (MagicNotes,
    > MacroScheduler, RSI Guard, Creative, LIveOneCare, Mouse software etc).
    >
    > I did get 2 x 1G memory, so I tried swapping them around with one of
    > the old memory, but each time I did this, the problem persisted.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do now..
    >
    > I know its not the HD, any ideas?
    >

    > Thanks!

    When the PC freezes, look at the LED's in front of the PC. I once
    trouble-shooted a PC with the same symptoms like yours. When the PC
    froze, the CD/RW and the harddisk LED's lit up intermittendly leaving the
    PC unresponsive to mouse and/or keyboard. I temporarily disconnected the
    CD device and the problem went away. So I mounted a new CD/RW, problem
    solved.

    --
    www.google.com

    John Holmes, Oct 17, 2007
  5. t8769

    chuckcar Guest

    t8769 <> wrote in

    > Every once in a while my PC freezes for a few minutes.
    >
    > I've re-installed the XP operating system after wiping the HD
    >
    > I've replaced the Hard disk
    >
    > I've uninstalled software that might be causing this.. I'm only using
    > software I've had for a long time that's been ok (MagicNotes,
    > MacroScheduler, RSI Guard, Creative, LIveOneCare, Mouse software etc).
    >
    > I did get 2 x 1G memory, so I tried swapping them around with one of
    > the old memory, but each time I did this, the problem persisted.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do now..
    >
    > I know its not the HD, any ideas?
    >

    > Thanks!

    So you are saying that you *know* there are no startup programs running
    in the background or not?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 17, 2007
  6. t8769

    Tony Guest

    Steve already answered his question. I was going to tell him the same thing
    but i figured i'd let Steve tell him.

    Tony, Oct 18, 2007
  7. t8769

    TJ Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in

    > t8769 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Every once in a while my PC freezes for a few minutes.
    >>
    >> I've re-installed the XP operating system after wiping the HD
    >>
    >> I've replaced the Hard disk
    >>
    >> I've uninstalled software that might be causing this.. I'm only using
    >> software I've had for a long time that's been ok (MagicNotes,
    >> MacroScheduler, RSI Guard, Creative, LIveOneCare, Mouse software
    >> etc).
    >>
    >> I did get 2 x 1G memory, so I tried swapping them around with one of
    >> the old memory, but each time I did this, the problem persisted.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what to do now..
    >>
    >> I know its not the HD, any ideas?
    >>

    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > When the PC freezes, look at the LED's in front of the PC. I once
    > trouble-shooted a PC with the same symptoms like yours. When the PC
    > froze, the CD/RW and the harddisk LED's lit up intermittendly leaving
    > the PC unresponsive to mouse and/or keyboard. I temporarily
    > disconnected the CD device and the problem went away. So I mounted a
    > new CD/RW, problem solved.

    I sent one out earlier this week that was exhibiting nearly the same
    symptoms. Boot it up, runs fine for about 15 minutes, and then just locks
    up solid. No response from mouse or keyboard but the display is fine. I
    could hear the PS and case fans running but still figured it was a heat
    issue since there was nothing out of the ordinary as far as Event Viewer
    was concerned. So I cracked the case figuring I'd find tons of dust
    bunnies which I did. But the first thing my eyes went to was a foreign
    object about the size and shape of a coat button sitting on top of one of
    the NICs. What the hell? Turns out it was the hub of the fan that cooled
    the graphics card. A Radeon 9600. I subsequently found the fan blades
    scattered about the case in various states of devastation and removed them
    along with the dust and cigarette/cigar smoke. But here's the good part;
    I knew I'd seen one of those cards around here somewhere recently, and then
    it dawned on me. Couple weeks back this dude brought me a Dell XPS that
    wound up having a bad power supply. One of those 460w jobs that's mounted
    away from everything else in the bottom of the case. I didn't have one,
    and he didn't wanna wait. So I tell him he owes me 25.00 for the
    diagnostics. I go to hand it back to him when he asks me if I'd be willing
    to keep his XPS "for my trouble" instead of charging him. Deal. So I find
    it, crack it, and sure enough there it sits, a Radeon 9600. Only this one
    still has a fan in the heat sink. :) I call my customer, tell him I have
    an exact replacement for his graphics card but it's probably about three
    years old. Bottom line. We agreed on 50 bucks (no warranty) for me to pop
    the used card in and everybody was happy. Especially me. It was an exact
    replacement so I didn't even have to bother with drivers. It was literally
    an open and shut case. Pun intended. Plus, I also gained a P4 (3GHz) a
    pair of 120GB HDDs, two NICs, a gig of RAM, assorted fans, a DVD ROM, and a
    DVD R/W from the (now raped) XPS, all in good working order.

    Don't ya just love happy endings? :)

    TJ, Oct 18, 2007
  8. t8769

    John Holmes Guest

    TJ "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Lucky bastard.
    ;-)

    --
    Your mother was a blind amateur musician who talked constantly under
    canvas.

    John Holmes, Oct 21, 2007
  9. t8769

    Plato Guest

    t8769 wrote:

    > Every once in a while my PC freezes for a few minutes.
    >
    > I've re-installed the XP operating system after wiping the HD
    >
    > I've replaced the Hard disk

    Often, even pc pros replace the HDD if encountering "odd" problems. 99%
    of the time it is NOT the HDD that is the problem however.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 27, 2007