    supply I know to be good.

    What else is left? Any ideas? I would hate to send it back under
    warranty and the same thing happen again because it wasn't the board...
    Bryan, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Bryan

    Shep© Guest

    On 1 Aug 2005 18:05:42 -0700 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep and
    then "Bryan" <> wrote :

    >I am building a machine with an MSI MS-6787 motherboard (part of an MSI
    >barebones system), a Celeron D 2.2ghz proc. and 256mb of Mushkin
    >DDR2100. Like most new boards, this one complains that the CPU settings
    >have changed and it wants me to enter BIOS and save settings. My
    >problem is when I tell it to Save Settings and Exit, it freezes. Not a
    >hard freeze, mind you, as the num lock and caps lock still works, and
    >the power button shuts it off immediately without the need to hold it
    >down, but it stops responding to the keyboard in all other respects.
    >
    >I've checked the CPU and HSF seating, and it looks good. The BIOS has
    >been cleared several times by both jumper and removing the battery.
    >I've tried it with all drives removed. I've tried it with the FSB
    >locked and unlocked (the board has a jumper for this). I've also
    >checked the memory, and it's fine. It's even done this with a power
    >supply I know to be good.
    >
    >What else is left? Any ideas? I would hate to send it back under
    >warranty and the same thing happen again because it wasn't the board...

    There could be corrupt data in the BIOS.
    Pull the power cord out and find and use the Clear CMOS jumper(See
    Manual).
    You cannot fully clear the CMOS/BIOS on an ATX powered system with
    power to the board as there is a residual re-charge current applied
    across the battery that will retain data good and bad in the
    CMOS/BIOS.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Bryan

    Unk Guest

    On 1 Aug 2005 18:05:42 -0700, "Bryan" <> wrote:

    >I am building a machine with an MSI MS-6787 motherboard (part of an MSI
    >barebones system), a Celeron D 2.2ghz proc. and 256mb of Mushkin
    >DDR2100. Like most new boards, this one complains that the CPU settings
    >have changed and it wants me to enter BIOS and save settings. My
    >problem is when I tell it to Save Settings and Exit, it freezes. Not a
    >hard freeze, mind you, as the num lock and caps lock still works, and
    >the power button shuts it off immediately without the need to hold it
    >down, but it stops responding to the keyboard in all other respects.
    >
    >I've checked the CPU and HSF seating, and it looks good. The BIOS has
    >been cleared several times by both jumper and removing the battery.
    >I've tried it with all drives removed. I've tried it with the FSB
    >locked and unlocked (the board has a jumper for this). I've also
    >checked the memory, and it's fine. It's even done this with a power
    >supply I know to be good.
    >
    >What else is left? Any ideas? I would hate to send it back under
    >warranty and the same thing happen again because it wasn't the board...

    Did you unplug it from the wall outlet before clearing the BIOS with the jumper and removing the
    battery at the same time?

    After that, look for a BIOS sellting that loads the factory defaults.
    Unk, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    It was unplugged when I reset the BIOS. I tried the reset to defaults
    option but it still does the same thing. It will let me exit if I
    choose not to save changes.

    Very odd...
    Bryan, Aug 2, 2005
  5. Bryan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    > It was unplugged when I reset the BIOS. I tried the reset to defaults
    > option but it still does the same thing. It will let me exit if I
    > choose not to save changes.
    >
    > Very odd...

    Sounds like "warranty return time" to me...
    Toolman Tim, Aug 2, 2005
  6. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    All it needed was a BIOS flash. There was one on the MSI site that was
    newer than what shipped on the board, and one of the fixes listed was
    "Update to CPU microcode"... heh

    I figured that was the problem as I'm using a Celeron D, and the
    shipped BIOS probably didn't work with that new of a Celeron... and
    apparently my hunch was right! ;)

    Thank you for all the replies! It is appreciated.
    Bryan, Aug 2, 2005
  7. Bryan

    Plato Guest

    Bryan wrote:

    > I am building a machine with an MSI MS-6787 motherboard (part of an MSI
    > barebones system), a Celeron D 2.2ghz proc. and 256mb of Mushkin
    > DDR2100. Like most new boards, this one complains that the CPU settings
    > have changed and it wants me to enter BIOS and save settings. My
    > problem is when I tell it to Save Settings and Exit, it freezes. Not a

    The other day I had the exact same problem with a new system. Turned out
    to be this spare stupid six dollar keyboard that I had connected to it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 3, 2005
  8. Bryan

    Pat Guest

    On 3 Aug 2005 01:05:13 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >> I am building a machine with an MSI MS-6787 motherboard (part of an MSI
    >> barebones system), a Celeron D 2.2ghz proc. and 256mb of Mushkin
    >> DDR2100. Like most new boards, this one complains that the CPU settings
    >> have changed and it wants me to enter BIOS and save settings. My
    >> problem is when I tell it to Save Settings and Exit, it freezes. Not a

    >The other day I had the exact same problem with a new system. Turned out
    >to be this spare stupid six dollar keyboard that I had connected to it.

    I had this happen, too. Built a new system. In the room I built it in it
    worked fine. Put it in the room it was going in to, with the KB I planned on
    using, and no go. Scratched my head for a while but changing KB's did the
    trick.

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Aug 3, 2005