    as member(at)utv.org.uk for one humungous FWD sip a/c?

    Not in the spirit of commerce I know, but those of you who are as mean as me
    will understand.
    cybuerke, Aug 6, 2008

  2. cybuerke

    Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:04:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >cybuerke <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    >reason:
    >: Thats's all folks! Jeff Pulver has just spoken. As from 1
    >: September, it'll cost $30 per year for your account with FWD. Seems
    >: to be per email address rather than per number of SIP accounts, so
    >: mayhap we could all club together as member(at)utv.org.uk for one
    >: humungous FWD sip a/c?
    >:
    >: Not in the spirit of commerce I know, but those of you who are as
    >: mean as me will understand.
    >
    >Link to this info please..? Nothing obvious on the FWD site.

    Info sent by email to all account holders which is where the poster
    above got the info from .
    , Aug 7, 2008

  3. cybuerke

    steveybar Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:04:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"

    > Info sent by email to all account holders which is where the poster
    > above got the info from .

    This is a copy of the email I received today:

    Dear FWD'er:

    Free World Dialup is implementing a $30 USD annual membership fee during the
    month of August after 12 years as a free service.

    A startup taking over a decade to reach conviction about a business model
    likely sets a record, but we believe $30 USD per year is the magic number.
    It is 10% of the cost for Vonage's unlimited usage plan. FWD provided the
    inspiration for the founding of Vonage in 2001, and Vonage's hybrid
    Internet-PSTN offer now generates nearly $1 billion in annual revenue. FWD's
    voluntary paid membership experiment last summer demonstrated the demand for
    a complete break from telephone network. FWD's future as a Communication ISP
    will include only those services that do not have a per minute charge.
    Rather than competing directly with the telco's or even Vonage, the mission
    of a Communication ISP is creating new opportunities and modes of
    communication. FWD will relaunch the website during August to focus on
    services, applications, and content available to people with VoIP SIP
    devices connected directly to the Internet.

    See FWD CEO, Daniel Berninger's Communication ISP Manifesto.

    If you wish to retain SIP registration and support FWD, please click through
    the paid membership banner at the top of the home page which links to the
    Acteva registration service.

    Make sure you use the email associated with your FWD account (the one on
    which this message arrived.)

    If you lost your FWD account info, you can use the password retrieval
    process or simply create a new account.

    The first 1000 paid members get "founder" status, but FWD will retain
    existing free accounts through August 31, 2008. The new paid membership
    requirement allows for associating any number of accounts with the email
    address used for payment, so you can keep the free ride alive by finding a
    friend with paid membership.

    I hope you will join in transforming FWD's nearly one million free accounts
    into paid memberships as we work to make the Communication ISP the next big
    thing in VoIP.

    Best regards,

    Jeff

    115 Broadhollow Road, Suite 225, Melville, NY 11747
    steveybar, Aug 7, 2008
  4. cybuerke

    Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:34:24 +0100, "steveybar"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:04:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"

    >> Info sent by email to all account holders which is where the poster
    >> above got the info from .

    >This is a copy of the email I received today:
    >
    >Dear FWD'er:
    >

    >Free World Dialup is implementing a $30 USD annual membership fee during the
    >month of August after 12 years as a free service.

    How can they call themselves Free World Dialup qhen they are no longer
    going to be "free" ? .
    , Aug 7, 2008
  5. cybuerke

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    :
    : >:
    : >: Not in the spirit of commerce I know, but those of you who are as
    : >: mean as me will understand.
    : >
    : >Link to this info please..? Nothing obvious on the FWD site.
    :
    : Info sent by email to all account holders which is where the poster
    : above got the info from .

    Funny that because I am an account holder and I haven't had this email.
    The FWD site still says it's a free service.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 8, 2008
  6. cybuerke

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} <noone$$@llondel.org> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In message <>, cybuerke wrote:
    :
    : > Thats's all folks! Jeff Pulver has just spoken. As from 1
    : > September, it'll cost $30 per year for your account with FWD. Seems
    : > to be per email address rather than per number of SIP accounts, so
    : > mayhap we could all club together as member(at)utv.org.uk for one
    : > humungous FWD sip a/c?
    : >
    : > Not in the spirit of commerce I know, but those of you who are as
    : > mean as me will understand.
    :
    : I'm afraid I just rewrote my Asterisk config files last night to
    : remove my FWD account. I only ever really used it for testing, so
    : it's definitely not worth $30/year to keep it going.

    I only use it to terminate my IPKall USA number since Sipgate stopped
    doing it. I can easily transfer it to my Gradwell account so no loss
    really.

    Pity though.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 8, 2008
  7. cybuerke

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:25:58 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:04:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >: <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >In news:,
    >: >cybuerke <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    >: >reason:
    >: >: Thats's all folks! Jeff Pulver has just spoken. As from 1
    >: >: September, it'll cost $30 per year for your account with FWD. Seems
    >: >: to be per email address rather than per number of SIP accounts, so
    >: >: mayhap we could all club together as member(at)utv.org.uk for one
    >: >: humungous FWD sip a/c?
    >: >:
    >: >: Not in the spirit of commerce I know, but those of you who are as
    >: >: mean as me will understand.
    >: >
    >: >Link to this info please..? Nothing obvious on the FWD site.
    >:
    >: Info sent by email to all account holders which is where the poster
    >: above got the info from .
    >
    >Funny that because I am an account holder and I haven't had this email.
    >The FWD site still says it's a free service.

    Its odd that if they really have decided to charge for the service
    they still have the graphic on the front page saying "FWD let's you
    talk... ... for Free... ... for Good"

    You'd have thought they would have quietly removed that banner some
    time ago.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Aug 8, 2008
  8. On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:34:24 +0100, steveybar wrote:
    > This is a copy of the email I received today:

    [...]
    > Free World Dialup is implementing a $30 USD annual membership fee during the
    > month of August after 12 years as a free service.

    Hmm, but what do you actually get for $30 per year?

    [...]
    > a complete break from telephone network. FWD's future as a Communication ISP
    > will include only those services that do not have a per minute charge.

    Aehh, but what are those services?

    My understanding so far was that FWD was only a free SIP server (similar to
    what you can get from iptel.org), so why would you want to pay for it?

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    Christof Meerwald, Aug 8, 2008
  9. On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:23:40 +0100, cybuerke wrote:

    > Thats's all folks! Jeff Pulver has just spoken. As from 1 September, it'll
    > cost $30 per year for your account with FWD. Seems to be per email address
    > rather than per number of SIP accounts, so mayhap we could all club together
    > as member(at)utv.org.uk for one humungous FWD sip a/c?

    I have my FWD account simply for terminating tollfree calls to Germany,
    Norway and the Netherlands. I can do without it other than for that.

    Is there any service I could use at no cost to terminate these calls? I
    would be interested in such a service for other countries too, but I have
    UK and North America already covered.

    --
    Phil Reynolds
    DON'T MAIL IN RESPONSE - I am unlikely to read it
    Phil Reynolds, Aug 12, 2008
  10. cybuerke

    Soruk Guest

    On 2008-08-12, Phil Reynolds <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:23:40 +0100, cybuerke wrote:
    >
    >> Thats's all folks! Jeff Pulver has just spoken. As from 1 September, it'll
    >> cost $30 per year for your account with FWD. Seems to be per email address
    >> rather than per number of SIP accounts, so mayhap we could all club together
    >> as member(at)utv.org.uk for one humungous FWD sip a/c?

    > I have my FWD account simply for terminating tollfree calls to Germany,
    > Norway and the Netherlands. I can do without it other than for that.
    >
    > Is there any service I could use at no cost to terminate these calls? I
    > would be interested in such a service for other countries too, but I have
    > UK and North America already covered.

    If there's an operator offering to carry these advertising in e164.org,
    then SipBroker will do this.

    You can check http://www.enumquery.org/ to see if there's an ENUM
    record.

    Soruk, Aug 13, 2008
  11. cybuerke

    Soruk Guest

    Sorry - http://www.enumquery.com/

    Soruk, Aug 13, 2008
  12. cybuerke

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:g87816$2pq$,
    B. Wright <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    : > In news:,
    : > <> typed, for some strange,
    : > unexplained reason:
    : > : On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:04:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    : > : <> wrote:
    : > :
    : > : >In news:,
    : > : >cybuerke <> typed, for some strange,
    : > : >unexplained reason:
    : > : >: Thats's all folks! Jeff Pulver has just spoken. As from 1
    : > : >: September, it'll cost $30 per year for your account with FWD.
    : > : >: Seems to be per email address rather than per number of SIP
    : > : >: accounts, so mayhap we could all club together as
    : > : >: member(at)utv.org.uk for one humungous FWD sip a/c?
    : > : >:
    : > : >
    : > : >Link to this info please..? Nothing obvious on the FWD site.
    : > :
    : > : Info sent by email to all account holders which is where the
    : > : poster above got the info from .
    :
    : > Funny that because I am an account holder and I haven't had this
    : > email. The FWD site still says it's a free service.
    :
    : Ivor, I have accounts and have received the same notice, maybe
    : it was in your spam box? FWD is notoriously crap at updating their
    : website on service problems etc.. and I'm sure they're crap at
    : updating things such as this.

    Possible, I do get around 200 or so spams a day.

    : Also not too reliable on keeping the
    : freephone gateways active and working. As someone else said "Where's
    : the value?"? I think it's a huge mistake and the end of the
    : usefulness of FWD, there are many (like relatives) who have no idea
    : they are even using FWD,
    : or any notion of how "that box" their family member set up for them
    : works. These type of people surely are not interested in paying
    : $30/year for it. The fact is, FWD is just a large SIP registrar
    : service with no direct inbound/outbound PSTN offerings of their own,
    : the one major cost could be the audio proxy (which, is horrible to
    : use, but can be a last resort on some networks with NAT traversal
    : problems).

    The only thing I currently use FWD for is terminating my IPKall USA number
    but I can point it at my Gradwell account I suppose. The other occasional
    useful function is access to US 800 numbers, but I don't need those all
    that often.

    What would be useful is a US equivalent of Sipgate where I could have a US
    number and local call rates there but I don't know of any that are free
    like Sipgate. Call me a cheapskate if you like but I don't need outbound
    access there often enough to make it worth a monthly charge and it's only
    1.5p/min on Sipgate anyway.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 16, 2008
  13. cybuerke

    Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:37:03 +0100, B <Á@> wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:23:59 +0100, Ivor Jones said in article
    >
    >>Call me a cheapskate if you like ...

    >Seconded.

    I have had that opinion of him for quite some time .
    , Aug 18, 2008
  14. cybuerke

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:37:03 +0100, B <Á@> wrote:
    :
    : >On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:23:59 +0100, Ivor Jones said in article
    : >
    : >>Call me a cheapskate if you like ...
    : >
    : >Seconded.
    : I have had that opinion of him for quite some time .

    Hello Ron. Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate; why spend money if you
    don't have to..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 19, 2008
  15. cybuerke

    Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:44:39 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:37:03 +0100, B <Á@> wrote:
    >:
    >: >On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:23:59 +0100, Ivor Jones said in article
    >: >
    >: >>Call me a cheapskate if you like ...
    >: >
    >: >Seconded.
    >: I have had that opinion of him for quite some time .
    >
    >Hello Ron. Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate; why spend money if you
    >don't have to..?

    Why leave it in the bank and let someone else spend it for you when
    you are gone which I have no intention on doing .
    , Aug 19, 2008