    texting overall.

    What freeware approach would you recommend for quick touching up of minor
    pimples & other blemishes on a dozen JPEG portraits?

    John Michaels, Dec 2, 2007

  2. On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:44:12 -0800, John Michaels <> wrote:

    >I have the classic amateur photographer's problem in that a female friend
    >asked me to snap shots of her for a personal advertisement but the pimples
    >and blemishes embarrass me.
    >
    >I do lovely face shots - but I can't not photograph the pimples. I haven't
    >sent her the photos for fear of what she'll say.
    >
    >Before I send her the photos, I'd like to see if there is freeware that can
    >touch them up quickly and easily. I already use Irfanview and Paint.NET for
    >viewing and adding text respectively as Irfanview is the best quick
    >freeware viewer and Paint.Net freeware seems to do the best with quick
    >texting overall.
    >
    >What freeware approach would you recommend for quick touching up of minor
    >pimples & other blemishes on a dozen JPEG portraits?

    Any editor that has a cloning tool, sample an area with the right texture and
    tones and clone it over the blemish.

    You might also like a little freeware utility called ClearSkinFX from
    Mediachance that does a pretty good overall job when you don't want to spend
    time on details.

    http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/cleanskin.htm

    Halversen Crowel, Dec 2, 2007

  3. John Michaels

    Paul Blarmy Guest

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 11:44:12 -0800, John Michaels wrote...

    > What freeware approach would you recommend for quick touching up of minor
    > pimples & other blemishes on a dozen JPEG portraits?

    PhotoToolKit has a special 'makeup' feature for just this purpose.
    http://www.vicman.net/phototoolkit/phototoolkit_f.htm

    --
    EMail address is disposable and never checked.
    Registered Linux user #439066.

    Paul Blarmy, Dec 2, 2007
  4. On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 22:26:20 GMT, Paul Blarmy wrote:
    > PhotoToolKit has a special 'makeup' feature for just this purpose.
    > http://www.vicman.net/phototoolkit/phototoolkit_f.htm

    Interesting.

    The referenced vicman site required an email registration to get the path
    of
    http://files.vicman.net/phtkinst.exe

    So I went to snapfiles instead for the same version 1.7 Photo Toolkit for
    Winxp.
    http://freealternative.wordpress.com/category/multimedia-design/image-editing/

    I said no when WinXP StartupMonitor freeware warned me about photo toolkit
    "The program I&F Viewer toolbar has registered the executable
    C:\bin\pic\edit\Photo Toolkit\ivbar\phototoolkitmem.exe -start
    to run at system startup.
    Do you wish to allow this change?"

    Then an error occurred in the winxp photo toolkit installation saying
    Setup: Unable to execute file:
    http://www.vicman.net/installed.php?Title=Photo Toolkit&Version=1.7
    ShellExecuteEx failed; code 2.

    I generally have few problems installing winxp software.

    If this vicman software either requires a startup item or if it must be
    intalled into the hideously overbloated and under-organized idiotic
    "Program Files" hierarchy, then it's probably not well-written software. Or
    it could be that the snapfiles Photo Toolkit version 1.7 has an
    installation bug in it. Or, I could have a problem with my system.

    However, after OK'ing the error above, the lovely red-eye-reduction
    "sample.jpg" of the mother, baby, and half-eaten peach ovary showed up and
    the red-eye reduction button worked and the installation gave no other
    errors.

    Wierd huh?

    John Michaels, Dec 3, 2007
  5. On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:56:54 -0600, Halversen Crowel wrote:
    > http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/cleanskin.htm

    Interesting software. Thanks for the hint. This is a great start!

    The clean skin installer says it only works on indo-europeans, while the
    gal I'm touching up is black - but cleanskin seemed to work fine if I
    unchecked the pink button. Still, the blemishes exist so I'm going to try
    osme of the other suggested programs to remove pimples and blemishes from a
    portrait.

    John Michaels, Dec 3, 2007
  6. On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 06:24:03 GMT, John Michaels wrote:

    > From: John Michaels <>
    > Subject: Re: Freeware to touch up pimples & blemishes on feminine face shots
    > Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.technique.people

    > The referenced vicman site required an email registration
    > simply to obtain a path of http://files.vicman.net/phtkinst.exe
    > Then an error occurred in the winxp photo toolkit installation saying
    > Setup: Unable to execute file:
    > http://www.vicman.net/installed.php?Title=Photo Toolkit&Version=1.7
    > ShellExecuteEx failed; code 2.

    I reinstalled without errors using the freeware version from
    http://www.photo-toolkit.com
    which didn't require an email registration.

    Photo Toolkit freeware seems to work nicely on black faces manually while
    the suggested Clear Skin FX works fast automatically but not as well with
    ebony skin.

    Both seem like excellent choices. I noticed Photo Toolkit can also touch up
    - spot healing for skin blemishes & pimples
    - flash correction for shining skin
    - healing scars
    - whitening teeth
    - smoothing wrinkles

    PhotoToolkit freeware can even do manual caricatures and lighting effects.

    I think we have a freeware digital photograph editing review winner!

    John Michaels, Dec 3, 2007
  7. John Michaels

    Afton Guest

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 06:31:23 -0800, John Michaels <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 06:24:03 GMT, John Michaels wrote:

    >> From: John Michaels <>
    >> Subject: Re: Freeware to touch up pimples & blemishes on feminine face shots
    >> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.technique.people

    >> The referenced vicman site required an email registration
    >> simply to obtain a path of http://files.vicman.net/phtkinst.exe
    >> Then an error occurred in the winxp photo toolkit installation saying
    >> Setup: Unable to execute file:
    >> http://www.vicman.net/installed.php?Title=Photo Toolkit&Version=1.7
    >> ShellExecuteEx failed; code 2.
    >> The system cannot find the file specified.

    >I reinstalled without errors using the freeware version from
    >http://www.photo-toolkit.com
    >which didn't require an email registration.
    >
    >Photo Toolkit freeware seems to work nicely on black faces manually while
    >the suggested Clear Skin FX works fast automatically but not as well with
    >ebony skin.
    >
    >Both seem like excellent choices. I noticed Photo Toolkit can also touch up
    >- spot healing for skin blemishes & pimples
    >- flash correction for shining skin
    >- healing scars
    >- whitening teeth
    >- smoothing wrinkles

    I must get that, could make me decades younger!

    >PhotoToolkit freeware can even do manual caricatures and lighting effects.
    >
    >I think we have a freeware digital photograph editing review winner!

    PhotoImpact 6 is now a free to use older versio of the application, and
    quite powerful.

    --

    Afton

    Afton, Dec 3, 2007
  8. John Michaels

    Susan Bugher Guest

    John Michaels wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 22:26:20 GMT, Paul Blarmy wrote:

    >>PhotoToolKit has a special 'makeup' feature for just this purpose.
    >>http://www.vicman.net/phototoolkit/phototoolkit_f.htm

    > The referenced vicman site required an email registration to get the path
    > of
    > http://files.vicman.net/phtkinst.exe

    Registration is optional.

    The DL page is here:
    http://www.vicman.net/download.php?Title=Photo Toolkit
    <q>
    Download this program free:
    Please, fill the form to download Photo Toolkit.
    Click here if you don't want to enter your personal information
    </q>

    The entire last line (Click here etc.) is the download link:
    http://files.vicman.net/phtkinst.exe

    The "Your Name (required)" etc. "requirements" apply only *if* you
    choose to fill in the form.

    I wish the author would rework that page. It's confusing.

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q= group:alt.comp.freeware