    Can anyone point me in the direction of some software to do this ? Im
    running XP.

    Matt
    dirtycow, Jan 31, 2004

  2. dirtycow

    Guest Guest

    Everything you need is in the Windows Explorer feature.
    First, create your new folders using <File> <New> <Folder>
    then
    Use Windows Explorer feature to display the picture folder.
    Click on <View> <Thumbnails>

    Finally, "drag" each picture to its new folder.

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:01:29 -0000, "dirtycow" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there such a thing on the internet that will sort my photos into folders
    >based on the date they were taken? Ive got to the point where ive just got
    >loads of photos called 'NewPhotos1' etc. I thought seperating them into
    >months would be a nice thing to do.
    >
    >Can anyone point me in the direction of some software to do this ? Im
    >running XP.
    >
    >Matt

    <rj>
    Guest, Jan 31, 2004

  3. dirtycow

    dirtycow Guest

    > Everything you need is in the Windows Explorer feature.
    > First, create your new folders using <File> <New> <Folder>
    > then
    > Use Windows Explorer feature to display the picture folder.
    > Click on <View> <Thumbnails>
    >
    > Finally, "drag" each picture to its new folder.

    Sorry, I shouldve made it clear. I want a program to automate this process.
    I could probably write one myself given enough time - I just dont have
    enough! I have around 2000 photos - im not all that keen to 'hand sort'
    them.

    Matt
    dirtycow, Feb 1, 2004
  4. dirtycow

    Paul L Guest

    rj was right about explorer, if you have the search companion open goto all
    files/pictures whatever, and choose advanced search options to group by
    dates/size and drop them in the month's folder you made (hold shift to move
    the files). You can use the keyboard or the mouse, it's up to you

    Paul L, Feb 1, 2004
  5. dirtycow

    Guest Guest

    "Paul L" <> wrote in message
    > rj was right about explorer, if you have the search companion open goto

    all
    > files/pictures whatever, and choose advanced search options to group by
    > dates/size and drop them in the month's folder you made (hold shift to

    move
    > the files). You can use the keyboard or the mouse, it's up to you

    actually you can just click on the "modified" header in the search results.
    this will order your files by date/time. now grab them by groups and move to
    the new folders.

    > "dirtycow" <> wrote in message
    > > > Everything you need is in the Windows Explorer feature.
    > > > First, create your new folders using <File> <New> <Folder>
    > > > then
    > > > Use Windows Explorer feature to display the picture folder.
    > > > Click on <View> <Thumbnails>
    > > >
    > > > Finally, "drag" each picture to its new folder.

    > > Sorry, I shouldve made it clear. I want a program to automate this

    > process.
    > > I could probably write one myself given enough time - I just dont have
    > > enough! I have around 2000 photos - im not all that keen to 'hand sort'
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Matt

    use excel "fill" mouse command (or paste) to create an ordered list of
    filenames (folder names)?

    then copy those lines to a word processor.

    add
    MD
    to the front of each line.

    save the text file as MakeFolder.BAT
    double click and watch windows create the folders.

    ? avoid putting space characters in names, because you'll have to also
    enclose the path in double quotes.

    Guest, Feb 1, 2004
  6. dirtycow

    TrueBlue Guest

    "dirtycow" <> wrote in message
    > Is there such a thing on the internet that will sort my photos into

    folders
    > based on the date they were taken? Ive got to the point where ive just got
    > loads of photos called 'NewPhotos1' etc. I thought seperating them into
    > months would be a nice thing to do.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of some software to do this ? Im
    > running XP.
    >
    > Matt

    What kind of structure do you want?
    eg. root directory\february\02\
    or just \february
    I suppose, really, how specific do you want to be with your sorting?

    -Adam
    TrueBlue, Feb 2, 2004
  7. dirtycow

    dirtycow Guest

    > What kind of structure do you want?
    > eg. root directory\february\02\
    > or just \february
    > I suppose, really, how specific do you want to be with your sorting?

    Thats about right. Id probably stump for:
    C:\My pictures\Febuary04\

    .........etc.

    That seems a fairly logical structure. I kinda assumed there would be an
    automated way of doing this. Perhaps Im going to have to try and write one
    myself

    Matt
    dirtycow, Feb 2, 2004
  8. dirtycow

    Michael Guest

    I can't remember where I saw it, but whilst I was looking for this, I found
    a PERL module that will do just this. Try CPAN, and ActiveState.

    Ended up buying photoshop album cos it was less bother...

    MIke

    Michael, Feb 5, 2004
  9. dirtycow

    M. Souris Guest