Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sizedportions for burning?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013.

  1. Everyone must have a similar problem in splitting up large directories of
    directories on external USB drives into DVD-sized (4.7GB) collections for
    backup onto DVD media.

    How do you backup if you don't move photo & video directories around
    manually?

    MORE INFORMATION:
    I take tons of pictures & videos of the kids & family just like you do.

    The files each go in a directory, more or less organized by name.
    It's time to back it up to DVD media when the 500GB (or 1TB) disks fill
    up.

    I can MANUALLY size an arrangement of directories to something less than
    4.7 GB, then MOVE that selection to a spot, and then BURN them. After
    burning them, I then move them elsewhere, and work on the next set of
    file-intensive directories.

    (Note: Without moving back and forth, things get confusing really fast.)

    All this sizing, arranging, moving, burning, and moving on is tedious.

    QUESTION:
    Is there freeware out there that can burn an entire collection to
    multiple independent DVD disks?

    NOTE: A bigger disk isn't a solution (I've been doing that for years).

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013

  2. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <kbtf4r$p58$>, Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    > Everyone must have a similar problem in splitting up large directories of
    > directories on external USB drives into DVD-sized (4.7GB) collections for
    > backup onto DVD media.

    no, definitely not everyone.

    dvds are old school and they're a royal pain in the ass. plus with the
    size of raw files these days, they don't hold much.

    > How do you backup if you don't move photo & video directories around
    > manually?

    by using software designed to back up, i.e., cloning software. click a
    button and a few minutes later, it's done. there's absolutely no need
    to move anything at all.

    > MORE INFORMATION:
    > I take tons of pictures & videos of the kids & family just like you do.

    videos are going to take up even more space than photos do which means
    dvds are *not* the solution.

    > The files each go in a directory, more or less organized by name.
    > It's time to back it up to DVD media when the 500GB (or 1TB) disks fill
    > up.
    >
    > I can MANUALLY size an arrangement of directories to something less than
    > 4.7 GB, then MOVE that selection to a spot, and then BURN them. After
    > burning them, I then move them elsewhere, and work on the next set of
    > file-intensive directories.
    >
    > (Note: Without moving back and forth, things get confusing really fast.)
    >
    > All this sizing, arranging, moving, burning, and moving on is tedious.

    why are you doing the work the computer can easily do without getting
    tired or confused?

    the computer is there to do work *for* you, not the other way around.

    > QUESTION:
    > Is there freeware out there that can burn an entire collection to
    > multiple independent DVD disks?

    roxio toast, but it's a stupid idea to even consider.

    > NOTE: A bigger disk isn't a solution (I've been doing that for years).

    it's certainly a much better solution than managing hundreds, perhaps
    thousands of dvds.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013

  3. On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:57:54 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > Why would you want to back up to DVD

    I'm an old man. Been burned many times.
    I'm dead set against hard disk drives for backup.

    It's only because I've lost a LOT of pictures due to
    hard disks not only crashing - but the power supplies
    going out and losing the proprietary power supplies, etc.

    Disks are evil for storage.
    DVDs don't need proprietary power supplies.

    The problem is sizing a bunch of directories to
    4.7GB. It's very slow constantly checking the sizes.

    There 'must' be software out there to handle creating
    independent 4.7GB directory sets for burning.

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013
  4. Brian Hofflinger

    Wally Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 03:36:38 +0000 (UTC), Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:57:54 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> Why would you want to back up to DVD

    >I'm an old man. Been burned many times.
    >I'm dead set against hard disk drives for backup.
    >
    >It's only because I've lost a LOT of pictures due to
    >hard disks not only crashing - but the power supplies
    >going out and losing the proprietary power supplies, etc.

    My hard drives last for years. And backup hard drives don't serve many
    hours and last forever (almost). What are you doing to deserve such
    bad luck?

    Wally, Jan 1, 2013
  5. Brian Hofflinger

    Wally Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:57:54 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> Why would you want to back up to DVD

    >I'm an old man. Been burned many times.
    >I'm dead set against hard disk drives for backup.
    >
    >It's only because I've lost a LOT of pictures due to
    >hard disks not only crashing - but the power supplies
    >going out and losing the proprietary power supplies, etc.
    >
    >Disks are evil for storage.
    >DVDs don't need proprietary power supplies.
    >
    >The problem is sizing a bunch of directories to
    >4.7GB. It's very slow constantly checking the sizes.
    >
    >There 'must' be software out there to handle creating
    >independent 4.7GB directory sets for burning.

    You could use WinRAR, splitting the archive into predetermined sizes
    to fit nicely into the DVDs, AFTER making recovery sets, because DVDs
    are prone to suffer bad sectors, and those recovery sets will save
    your data in a few years when the dyes in the DVDs start to fade.

    Wally, Jan 1, 2013
  6. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <kbtlk6$91d$>, Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    > > Why would you want to back up to DVD

    > I'm an old man. Been burned many times.

    how so?

    > I'm dead set against hard disk drives for backup.

    suit yourself but that's *very* dumb.

    > It's only because I've lost a LOT of pictures due to
    > hard disks not only crashing - but the power supplies
    > going out and losing the proprietary power supplies, etc.

    don't buy crappy drives.

    anyway, if you make backups you won't lose anything. that's the whole
    *point* of backups. if one drive craps out, you have the photos on a
    second and third drive, maybe more if the photos are really important.

    also, the power supplies are standard. a given enclosure might have a
    custom power adapter, but if that fails, replace the enclosure, not the
    drive inside. the drive mechanism is almost guaranteed to be fine if
    just the power supply fails.

    or, look into cloud storage. let someone else worry about all that.

    > Disks are evil for storage.

    disks are actually very reliable, much more so than dvd.

    plus, what happens if you want to retrieve a photo. which dvd is it on?
    which dvd has the latest version of that photo? what if that dvd cannot
    be read anymore? what if you want a bunch of photos and they're on a
    bunch of different dvds? what a mess.

    what happens if your house burns down or some other disaster and those
    dvds are gone? are you going to have a *second* set of dvds somewhere
    else too? even more of a mess.

    and what happens when your computer no longer has a dvd drive, as is
    the case with ultrabooks and some desktops? dvds are going the way of
    the floppy.

    > DVDs don't need proprietary power supplies.

    neither do disk drives.

    in fact, dvd drives use the *same* power supplies as hard drives,
    +5/+12v (or just +5v for the portable drives).

    > The problem is sizing a bunch of directories to
    > 4.7GB. It's very slow constantly checking the sizes.

    it's also a *complete* waste of time. that's the kind of thing a
    computer should do *for* you, not you do for it.

    > There 'must' be software out there to handle creating
    > independent 4.7GB directory sets for burning.

    roxio toast, but as i said, it's a really dumb way to go. you are
    making *way* more work for yourself.

    the proper way to do this is buy a couple of hard drives all the same
    size and put all of your photos on one of the drives, using the others
    for backup. everything will be in one place rather than scattered among
    multiple drives and who knows how many folders. talk about an
    organizational nightmare. how do you even find stuff?

    manage your photos with something like lightroom. clone the drive as
    often as you want to the other hard drives. ideally, you have at least
    three copies at any given moment, one of which is off site somewhere in
    case your house burns down or other disaster.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  7. On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:52:34 -0700, Wally wrote:

    > What are you doing to deserve such bad luck?

    I'm an old man. Lost much data.

    Over time, all electronics go kaput.

    And, at the worst time.

    You know the rule.

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013
  8. On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:43:45 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > Then you are buying crappy drives. I have been buying and using drive
    > of various ages, brands and specifications for some 18 years.

    Well, we can argue all day about how much better your disk drives are
    than mine - but that won't get us any closer to the answer, will it?

    In all respect, what I'm looking for is software that will automatically
    do what I'm doing manually.

    I'll keep looking through the answers - as I can't be the only one.

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013
  9. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <kbtu8s$oij$>, Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    > > What are you doing to deserve such bad luck?

    > I'm an old man.

    then you want something simple, not something that makes more work for
    yourself.

    > Lost much data.

    the only way you can lose data is if you didn't back it up.

    if you were backing it up to dvds, then that's proof dvd backups are a
    bad idea. it doesn't work.

    > Over time, all electronics go kaput.
    >
    > And, at the worst time.
    >
    > You know the rule.

    that's why you make backups.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  10. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <kbtuf7$oij$>, Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    > > Then you are buying crappy drives. I have been buying and using drive
    > > of various ages, brands and specifications for some 18 years.

    > Well, we can argue all day about how much better your disk drives are
    > than mine - but that won't get us any closer to the answer, will it?

    given that almost nobody has as bad luck as you do with drives, it's
    very clear that you are either buying crappy drives or doing something
    very, very wrong with them to cause them to fail so often.

    drives are *very* reliable. there might be a bad batch once in a while
    but certainly not an ongoing thing. that's why you have *multiple*
    copies at any given moment. in the unlikely event a drive does fail,
    you have backup drives.

    > In all respect, what I'm looking for is software that will automatically
    > do what I'm doing manually.

    such software has already been mentioned as well as that it's a dumb
    idea.

    > I'll keep looking through the answers - as I can't be the only one.

    yes you can easily be the only one. nobody wants the insanity you
    describe.

    there are *significantly* better ways to back up photos that are *much*
    more reliable than burning stacks of dvds. how the hell do you even
    find anything in those stacks?

    do you even *have* a second set of dvds?? do you have anything off site
    at all? and think of how much space that must take!!

    with multiple hard drives and at least one off site, you are guaranteed
    to not lose data unless *all* of the drives fail simultaneously,
    something that is *extremely* unlikely to happen.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  11. On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:43:45 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > If you are using the HDD's how the Hell are you losing power supplies?

    The older Western Digital 1T drives had proprietary (or DIN) connectors, well before
    USB disk drives became common.

    Over time, I learned my lesson, having bought 100MB USB drives when they first came out,
    250MB, 500MB, 1TB, etc.

    I agree. Buying any HDD with proprietary power supplies is crazy - but - as I said,
    I'm an old man who has been there, and done that - and learned too many lessons to
    repeat here.

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013
  12. On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 01:02:32 -0500, nospam wrote:

    >> There 'must' be software out there to handle creating
    >> independent 4.7GB directory sets for burning.

    > roxio toast, but as i said, it's a really dumb way to go. you are
    > making *way* more work for yourself.

    I hadn't realized Roxio Toast was Windows & Linux freeware.
    I thought all the Roxio stuff was payware.

    I'll need to check it out to see if it does that you say it can.
    Thanks.

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013
  13. Brian Hofflinger

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 06:07:35 +0000 (UTC), Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:43:45 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> Then you are buying crappy drives. I have been buying and using drive
    >> of various ages, brands and specifications for some 18 years.

    >Well, we can argue all day about how much better your disk drives are
    >than mine - but that won't get us any closer to the answer, will it?
    >
    >In all respect, what I'm looking for is software that will automatically
    >do what I'm doing manually.
    >
    >I'll keep looking through the answers - as I can't be the only one.

    That's the way of this group, Brian. If you are not doing things the
    way certain other people do them, they will tell you how wrong you
    are. SavageDuck will tell you, but in a polite and informative way.
    nospam will rudely tell you that you are a foolish Luddite who will
    not let the computer do the work for you.

    No matter that it's you doing the work and you prefer to do it the way
    you're doing it.

    I don't currently use Nero to burn disks, but it seems to me that Nero
    used to allow you to load what you wanted to burn even if it was too
    large a group of files to burn on one disk. Nero would then burn a
    disk, stop and tell you to insert another disk, and continue until
    everything was burned. This means you don't have to manually break up
    the files into single disk groups.

    Nero claims to "Span data efficiently across multiple CDs, DVDs and
    Blu-ray Discs", and I think that's what you want to do.

    Nero offers a free 15 day trial, so you can try it to see.

    BTW...I back up with two external HDs and Lightroom back-up, but I'm
    not interested in converting you.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 1, 2013
  14. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <kbtvnp$rcp$>, Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    > > If you are using the HDD's how the Hell are you losing power supplies?

    > The older Western Digital 1T drives had proprietary (or DIN) connectors, well
    > before USB disk drives became common.

    no they didn't. do you just make this shit up as you go along or what?

    first of all, 1tb drives are relatively recent and usb is not. usb hard
    drives have been around for over ten years, back when 100 gig was
    'large'. there were no 1tb drives then.

    second, hard drives have standard connectors, usually scsi, parallel
    ata (pata) or serial ata (sata). that's how you can buy a drive and
    swap it into a computer or enclosure. it only needs to be the right
    physical size (3.5", 2.5" or 1.8") and interface (pata/sata).

    > Over time, I learned my lesson, having bought 100MB USB drives when they
    > first came out, 250MB, 500MB, 1TB, etc.

    what lesson was that?

    that usb can't source enough power so you have to use a dual usb cable
    hack or use an off the shelf 5v power adapter?

    > I agree. Buying any HDD with proprietary power supplies is crazy

    it most certainly is crazy, since that's bullshit.

    hard drives do *not* have proprietary power supplies. period.

    they use +5v/+12v for 3.5" and +5v for 2.5". they use a standard 4 pin
    molex plug for older drives or a newer sata plug (or a combo for the
    laptops).

    hard drive *enclosures* may have custom power supplies but that's for
    the enclosure and not the drive. if one enclosure craps out you buy a
    new enclosure to replace it and swap the drive. or you replace the
    power adapter which is probably an off the shelf part.

    or get a raid5 enclosure with hot-swappable drives. that way, if a
    drive fails you just pop it out and replace it with a new drive and the
    raid rebuilds the array, *without* powering down. the only way you can
    lose data is if you intentionally delete it or every single drive fails
    all at the same time (usually 3 or more), which is *very* unlikely.

    > - but - as I said,
    > I'm an old man who has been there, and done that - and learned too many lessons to
    > repeat here.

    in other words, you are stubborn.

    suit yourself but you are making a shitload more work for yourself with
    absolutely no benefit whatsoever. you are almost guaranteed to lose
    data going the dvd route, even if for some perverse reason you enjoy
    the hassle. the point of backups is not to lose data but to prevent it.

    meanwhile, if you have multiple hard drive copies with one or more off
    site, you are almost guaranteed to *never* lose data, unless the planet
    explodes or something of that magnitude.

    or as i said, sync it all to the cloud and let someone else worry about
    backups and redundancy.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  15. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > That brings up my major gripe about computer design. I just bought a
    > new computer. It has four USB ports on the back and two USB ports on
    > the front. I have nine USB devices currently connected to computer
    > and also use a USB port for my card reader and a third external HD
    > that is portable. That means one of my USB ports connects to a D-Link
    > USB Hub that gives me seven more USB ports.
    >
    > (I could use the card reader built into the computer but my physical
    > layout doesn't make that convenient)
    >
    > The computer designers know that just about every device is going to
    > require a USB port, but they only give us six. Providing 12 would add
    > a few pennies to the cost, but they won't do that.

    they don't do that because most people don't need anywhere near 12 usb
    ports. why pay for something that almost nobody will ever use? don't
    force your needs onto everyone else.

    what in the hell do you have connected that you need 12 usb ports
    anyway?

    for my laptop i regularly use 0 usb ports and for my desktops i
    regularly use 3 at the most. 12 would be insanely wasteful.

    > I won't even mention that tangled mess of wires that act like
    > coathangers and twist around themselves after I've gone to bed.

    cable clamps.

    > My printer can be set up as a wireless device,

    wired network is much better and more reliable too.

    > and I could use a
    > wireless keyboard, mouse, and trackball, but I don't.

    i don't understand the obsession with wireless keyboards. replacing
    batteries is annoying and it's not like you're going to walk around the
    room with a keyboard or sit 20 feet away across the room and type.

    > Except when I
    > have to move things around and fight the tangle, the wires don't
    > bother me.

    other than that.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  16. Brian Hofflinger

    nospam Guest

    Re: Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sized portions for burning?

    In article <kbu0ir$rpd$>, Brian Hofflinger
    <> wrote:

    > >> There 'must' be software out there to handle creating
    > >> independent 4.7GB directory sets for burning.

    > > roxio toast, but as i said, it's a really dumb way to go. you are
    > > making *way* more work for yourself.

    > I hadn't realized Roxio Toast was Windows & Linux freeware.

    it's not.

    > I thought all the Roxio stuff was payware.

    it is, and you get what you pay for.

    doesn't ease of use matter to you? why are you trying to do things the
    hard way?

    you said you're an old man, so why do you want all these hassles? it's
    time to have the computer do work *for* you so you can go out and spend
    time with your kids and probably grandkids as well and enjoy yourself
    and take more pics. let the computer do the micromanagement of your
    photos and backups. that's what it's good at.

    > I'll need to check it out to see if it does that you say it can.

    the current version definitely does. i don't remember when they added
    that feature though. could have been many years ago but it's there now.
    i have been using toast since astarte launched the product over 15
    years ago, before adaptec bought it and long before there even was a
    roxio. excellent software.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  17. Brian Hofflinger

    <> wrote:

    > That's the way of this group, Brian. If you are not doing things the
    > way certain other people do them, they will tell you how wrong you
    > are. SavageDuck will tell you, but in a polite and informative way.
    > nospam will rudely tell you that you are a foolish Luddite who will
    > not let the computer do the work for you.

    tony will let you do stupid things that will end up hurting you in the
    long run. he doesn't actually care if you lose data.

    fortunately, there are others who realize that dvd backup is not a
    backup at all and have pointed out just how much of a waste of time it
    really is. yes, i may be blunt, but it's exactly correct.

    not only is backing up to dvd significantly more work than other
    methods, but it's far less reliable too. plus, i can't even imagine how
    you can keep track of which photo is where.

    dvd backup is a *really* bad idea, unless your goal is to lose data. if
    so, then why even bother backing up at all. skip that entirely and save
    both the time to do it and the expense of all the dvds.

    nospam, Jan 1, 2013
  18. Brian Hofflinger

    David Taylor Guest

    On 01/01/2013 06:04, Brian Hofflinger wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:52:34 -0700, Wally wrote:
    >
    >> What are you doing to deserve such bad luck?

    > I'm an old man. Lost much data.
    >
    > Over time, all electronics go kaput.
    >
    > And, at the worst time.
    >
    > You know the rule.

    DVDs also fail. Which is the more reliable /today/? USB seems
    reasonable standard, so power supplies shouldn't be an issue for a
    while. When a new standard comes out, cloning your 1TB backup onto a
    new device will likely take less time than shuffling 200 DVDs.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jan 1, 2013
  19. On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 03:35:44 -0500, nospam wrote:

    >> I hadn't realized Roxio Toast was Windows & Linux freeware.

    > it's not.
    >
    >> I thought all the Roxio stuff was payware.

    > it is, and you get what you pay for.
    >
    > doesn't ease of use matter to you?
    > why are you trying to do things the hard way?

    To answer your questions, ease of use does matter.
    That's why I'm looking for a pre-existing solution for creating DVDs.
    (I've already explained why I vastly prefer DVDs over electronics.)

    The reason I'm looking for freeware is that, IMHO, freeware almost always
    does the job that needs to be done - and - in the rare cases where it
    doesn't do the job fully - then (and only then) you can go out and buy
    the payware.

    The beauty of using the freeware first is that, by the time you realize
    the freeware doesn't do the job (which is a rarity in and of itself),
    then you know enough to know EXACTLY what you want out of the payware.

    In those case, 8 times out of 10, the payware doesn't do the job either!

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013
  20. On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 03:35:39 -0500, nospam wrote:

    > hard drive *enclosures* may have custom power supplies but that's for
    > the enclosure and not the drive.

    This.

    Brian Hofflinger, Jan 1, 2013