    TheGimp: Filters->Edge Detect->Difference of Gaussians
    DoG Edge Detect: Radius 1=3.0, Radius 2=1.0 px [x]Normalize [x]Invert

    Do you have a better/easier way to turn a JPG into a simple line drawing?

    Tony Palermo, Dec 27, 2012

  2. Tony Palermo

    Tony Palermo Guest

    Re: Freeware & techniques to turn a digital photo into a linedrawing

    Savageduck wrote:

    > I can only demonstrate the sort of thing (I hope this is what you had
    > in mind) which could be done in Photoshop Elements or a full version of
    > Photoshop. I use CS5 to get this effect.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_4907LCO4ew.jpg >

    Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

    Here is a sample result I got from using the only freeware method
    listed yet to convert a JPG family photo to a coloring book album.

    http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11775521/img/11775521.jpg

    Tony Palermo, Dec 27, 2012

  3. Tony Palermo

    p-0'0-h the cat wrote:

    > Upload to http://www.cartoonize.net/

    That site does a fantastic job of cartoonizing a photo!

    I think I'll try the entire set I have and make a coloring book
    for my kid using that.

    Does it have a limit on the number of photos?
    And what do they do with the uploaded photos?

    Tony Palermo, Dec 27, 2012
  4. Tony Palermo

    mike Guest

    On 12/26/2012 5:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-26 16:56:51 -0800, Tony Palermo
    > <> said:
    >
    >> How do you turn a digital photo into a B&W line drawing?
    >>
    >> I was trying to turn a digital photo into a coloring-book style line
    >> drawing
    >> as a present for my kid (she likes to color her own personification).
    >>
    >> The best I came up with in freeware was using The Gimp.
    >> TheGimp: Filters->Edge Detect->Difference of Gaussians
    >> DoG Edge Detect: Radius 1=3.0, Radius 2=1.0 px [x]Normalize [x]Invert
    >>
    >> Do you have a better/easier way to turn a JPG into a simple line drawing?

    > For the freeware stuff I will have to leave you in the hands of those
    > using the Mighty GIMP and related tools.
    >
    > I can only demonstrate the sort of thing (I hope this is what you had in
    > mind) which could be done in Photoshop Elements or a full version of
    > Photoshop. I use CS5 to get this effect.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_4907LCO4ew.jpg >

    That's pretty amazing.
    Is there a 10 line overview of the filter techniques/sequence
    you use? Or is it automagic?

    mike, Dec 27, 2012
  5. Tony Palermo

    mike Guest

    On 12/26/2012 7:47 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    > I wasn't trying for anything complicated or fancy. I just opened an
    > image file I had handy in CS5, duplicated the background layer and
    > applied the "color pencil" filter from the standard Photoshop filters
    > palette. The result was rendered in color, because Tony indicated he was
    > looking for a B&W line drawing, so I just desaturated it.
    > All done.
    > Here is the progression:
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_88.jpg >

    Cool, thanks

    mike, Dec 27, 2012
  6. Tony Palermo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kbg6ci$tac$>,
    says...

    > How do you turn a digital photo into a B&W line drawing?
    >
    > I was trying to turn a digital photo into a coloring-book style line drawing
    > as a present for my kid (she likes to color her own personification).
    >
    > The best I came up with in freeware was using The Gimp.
    > TheGimp: Filters->Edge Detect->Difference of Gaussians
    > DoG Edge Detect: Radius 1=3.0, Radius 2=1.0 px [x]Normalize [x]Invert
    >
    > Do you have a better/easier way to turn a JPG into a simple line drawing?

    You might want to take a look at inkscape
    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/?source=dlp>. It has tracing
    capabilities similar to Illustrator. You'll have to do some fiddling to
    get the degree of trace that you want, and like most GPL freeware it's
    poorly documented so you're pretty much on your own figuring out how the
    settings work. By default it traces every little thing and gives you a
    lot more detail than is generally useful.

    I'm not saying it's better than the options that have already been
    proposed, but it's another option worth looking at IMO.

    J. Clarke, Dec 27, 2012
  7. Re: Freeware & techniques to turn a digital photo into a linedrawing

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > You might want to take a look at inkscape

    Thank you for that advice.

    1. installed Inkscape (version 0.47 r22583, built Aug 21 2010)
    on my Centos 6 64-bit computer using the following command:

    $ sudo yum install inkscape

    Which installed the following:
    - inkscape x86_64 0:0.47-6.el6

    And, which also installed these 7 dependencies:
    - ImageMagick-c++.x86_64 0:6.5.4.7-6.el6_2
    - atlas.x86_64 0:3.8.4-2.el6
    - gc.x86_64 0:7.1-10.el6
    - gsl.x86_64 0:1.13-1.el6
    - libwpg.x86_64 0:0.1.3-4.1.el6
    - numpy.x86_64 0:1.4.1-9.el6
    - python-nose.noarch 0:0.10.4-3.1.el6

    2. I selected the new menu selection:
    Applications->Graphics->Inkscape Vector Graphics Editor

    4. I opened the original kids1.jpg file:
    Inkscape: File->Open->/tmp/kids1.jpg
    http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11776425/img/11776425.jpg

    5. Then I simply selected the following menu items:
    Inkscape: Edit->Select All
    Inkscape: Filters->Image effects->Pencil
    Inkscape: File->Save As->/tmp/kids2.jpg

    6. I then saved the results as (kids2.jpg) and put both side by side:
    $ convert kids1.jpg kids2.svg +append kids3.gif

    Here is the result, side by side:
    http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11776480/img/11776480.gif

    I'm trying to figure out how to darken and sharpen the lines, but,
    Inkscape appears to do the job quite nicely. Thanks!

    William Don**ly, Dec 27, 2012
  8. On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 00:56:51 +0000 (UTC), Tony Palermo wrote:

    > How do you turn a digital photo into a B&W line drawing?

    Some good choices have already been mentioned. You may also have a
    look at FotoSketcher:

    www.fotosketcher.com

    Apart from this, looking for Adobe 8bf filter plugins may be worth
    a try, since they are not only supported by payware, but also by
    freeware like IrfanView or XNView.

    For a quick&dirty way to get outlines, I sometimes just use Relief
    and Emboss filter in IrfanView Effect Browser in a row. The result
    has to be converted to b/w by Decrease Color Depth, afterwards.

    Relief and Emboss carve the outlines more sharply from background
    than any of those filters used separately. Since Relief has no
    settings attached, it should be used first. The setting for the
    Emboss filter should be chosen in a way, that only few details are
    kept visible inside the outlines.

    BeAr
    = What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
    ===============================================================--(Oops!)===

    B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, Dec 27, 2012
  9. Tony Palermo

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:42:44 +0000, William Don**ly wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> You might want to take a look at inkscape

    > Thank you for that advice.

    There's a simple "pencil" plugin for Gimp too.
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/22018

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux User #444770
    Fedora

    Dave, Dec 27, 2012
  10. Tony Palermo <> wrote:
    > Savageduck wrote:

    >> I can only demonstrate the sort of thing (I hope this is what you had
    >> in mind) which could be done in Photoshop Elements or a full version of
    >> Photoshop. I use CS5 to get this effect.
    >> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_4907LCO4ew.jpg >

    > Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

    > Here is a sample result I got from using the only freeware method
    > listed yet to convert a JPG family photo to a coloring book album.

    > http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11775521/img/11775521.jpg

    I came up with
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/27276475_wv3PMc
    and a softly colourized version, too. (Gimp)

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 27, 2012
  11. Tony Palermo

    Dave wrote:

    > There's a simple "pencil" plugin for Gimp too.
    > http://registry.gimp.org/node/22018

    Thanks for that suggestion.

    Having never installed a freeware Gimp plugin before, I wrote this up
    for others to benefit, which uses that suggested "Pencil-Drawing" plugin.

    0. Choose a picture to turn into a line drawing, e.g., /tmp/kids1.jpg
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/11780489/img/11780489.jpg

    1. Download the script-fu-pencil-drawing.scm script to /tmp from
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/22018

    2. Read up on how to handle "scm" files for The Gimp:
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/13950

    Which says:
    If it ends in .scm, put it in the scripts folder.
    If it ends in .exe, put it in the plugins folder.
    If it ends in .py, put it in the plug-ins folder.

    3. Since it ends in scm, locate the proper scripts folder:
    $ sudo updatedb; locate gimp| grep -i script
    REPORTS: /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/ & ~/.gimp-2.6/scripts/

    4. Both directories worked for me, so use your personal preference:
    $ sudo cp /tmp/script-fu-pencil-drawing.scm /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/.
    or
    $ cp /tmp/script-fu-pencil-drawing.scm ~/.gimp-2.6/scripts/.

    5. Load the photo to be converted into The Gimp, version 2.6:
    $ /usr/bin/gimp kids1.jpg &

    6. Convert the picture to a coloring book pencil line drawing & save:
    Gimp: Filters->Pencil-Drawing->Blur Radius=4, Strength=1, OK
    Gimp: File->Save As->/tmp/kids2.jpg

    7. Compare the results, side by side:
    $ cd /tmp; /usr/bin/convert kids1.jpg kids2.jpg +append kids3.jpg

    See results here:
    http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11780526/img/11780526.jpg
    Note: Compare results with this TheGimp basic freeware method:
    $ /usr/bin/gimp kids1.jpg &
    TheGimp: Filters->Edge Detect->Difference of Gaussians
    DoG Edge Detect: Radius 1=3.0, Radius 2=1.0 px [x]Normalize [x]Invert
    RESULTS: http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11775521/img/11775521.jpg

    Note: Compare results with this Gimp plugin script freeware method:
    $ cp /tmp/script-fu-pencil-drawing.scm ~/.gimp-2.6/scripts/.
    $ /usr/bin/gimp kids1.jpg &
    Gimp: Filters->Pencil-Drawing->Blur Radius=4, Strength=1, OK
    Gimp: File->Save As->/tmp/kids2.jpg
    RESULTS: http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11780526/img/11780526.jpg

    Note: Compare results with the Inkscape freeware method:
    $ /usr/bin/inkscape /tmp/kids1.jpg
    Inkscape: Edit->Select All
    Inkscape: Filters->Image effects->Pencil
    Inkscape: File->Save As->/tmp/kids2.svg
    RESULTS: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11776480/img/11776480.gif

    Note: Compare results with the Cartoonize freeware method:
    http://www.cartoonize.net/
    Upload photo from disk: /tmp/kids1.jpg
    Select the 15th cartoon effect (3rd column, 5th row)
    Press the "Cartoonize Now" button & save the results.
    RESULTS: http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11780666/img/11780666.jpg

    Which do you think is best for a family coloring book for toddlers?

    Tony Palermo, Dec 27, 2012
  12. Tony Palermo

    B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:

    > You may also have a look at FotoSketcher:
    > www.fotosketcher.com

    This FotoSketcher suggestion (www.fotosketcher.com) looks like a great
    Windows freeware program to convert family photos to coloring books.

    I don't see FotoSketcher in any of the Linux repositories though. :(

    $ yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo \* --disablerepo c6-media,\*-source,\*debug\* provides "*/fotosketcher"
    $ netscape http://pkgs.repoforge.org (look for fotosketcher) &
    $ netscape http://pkgs.org/search/?keyword=fotosketcher &

    So, I can't test it out (but others can post the results here for us)!

    Tony Palermo, Dec 27, 2012
  13. On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Tony Palermo wrote:

    > This FotoSketcher suggestion (www.fotosketcher.com) looks like a great
    > Windows freeware program to convert family photos to coloring books.
    >
    > I don't see FotoSketcher in any of the Linux repositories though. :(

    I didn't see you requesting a /Linux/ solution, either. ;-) You added
    alt.os.linux only /after/ your OP.

    FotoSketcher (esp. the portable version) and IrfanView (my other
    suggestion) should both run fine with Wine under Linux, though.
    Therefore you should be able to test those solutions by yourself.

    FotoSketcher can create very differently looking pictures, that all
    may be suited for your purpose. One example using b/w pencil2 with
    settings Edge threshold 0 | Edge intensity 150 | Stroke length 35 |
    Darken/Lighten 255:

    http://picturepush.com/public/11781589

    A sample outcome from IrfanView with Relief and Emboss_32 filter:

    http://picturepush.com/public/11781633

    Apart from Wine solutions, the already suggested ones for Gimp
    and Inkscape should do everything you need. If you also accept
    command line solutions, you should take a closer look at either
    ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick:

    www.imagemagick.org
    www.graphicsmagick.org

    Both run natively on Linux and provide "everything" you may ever
    think of with regard to image manipulation. - Although it /may/
    happen, that nobody will be able to tell you the correct settings
    for the more obscure wishes... ;-)

    HTH.

    B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, Dec 27, 2012
  14. Tony Palermo

    B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:

    > I didn't see you requesting a /Linux/ solution, either.

    Ah. Indeed. My mistake. Yes. I added Linux after the fact, which
    wasn't fair. Plus, I'll wager most a.c.f readers are on Windows
    anyway - so they can benefit from the proposed FotoSketcher & Irfanview
    methods.

    > You should take a closer look at either
    > ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick:

    Good point. I have imagemagick.
    I couldn't find graphicsmagick on first inspection, but I'll dig deeper.

    I didn't know they had a JPEG to pencil-drawing feature.

    Tony Palermo, Dec 27, 2012
  15. Tony Palermo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kbh1m4$uap$>,
    says...

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    > > You might want to take a look at inkscape

    > Thank you for that advice.
    >
    > 1. installed Inkscape (version 0.47 r22583, built Aug 21 2010)
    > on my Centos 6 64-bit computer using the following command:
    >
    > $ sudo yum install inkscape
    >
    > Which installed the following:
    > - inkscape x86_64 0:0.47-6.el6
    >
    > And, which also installed these 7 dependencies:
    > - ImageMagick-c++.x86_64 0:6.5.4.7-6.el6_2
    > - atlas.x86_64 0:3.8.4-2.el6
    > - gc.x86_64 0:7.1-10.el6
    > - gsl.x86_64 0:1.13-1.el6
    > - libwpg.x86_64 0:0.1.3-4.1.el6
    > - numpy.x86_64 0:1.4.1-9.el6
    > - python-nose.noarch 0:0.10.4-3.1.el6
    >
    > 2. I selected the new menu selection:
    > Applications->Graphics->Inkscape Vector Graphics Editor
    >
    > 4. I opened the original kids1.jpg file:
    > Inkscape: File->Open->/tmp/kids1.jpg
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11776425/img/11776425.jpg
    >
    > 5. Then I simply selected the following menu items:
    > Inkscape: Edit->Select All
    > Inkscape: Filters->Image effects->Pencil
    > Inkscape: File->Save As->/tmp/kids2.jpg
    >
    > 6. I then saved the results as (kids2.jpg) and put both side by side:
    > $ convert kids1.jpg kids2.svg +append kids3.gif
    >
    > Here is the result, side by side:
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11776480/img/11776480.gif
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out how to darken and sharpen the lines, but,
    > Inkscape appears to do the job quite nicely. Thanks!

    Inkscape has another way to do it--Path/Trace Bitmap. That gives you a
    vector drawing. Try that and select "edge detection".

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2012
  16. Tony Palermo

    Anonymous Guest

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2012, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    >Tony Palermo <> wrote:
    >>How do you turn a digital photo into a B&W line drawing?
    >>
    >>I was trying to turn a digital photo into a coloring-book style line drawing
    >>as a present for my kid (she likes to color her own personification).
    >>
    >>The best I came up with in freeware was using The Gimp.
    >> TheGimp: Filters->Edge Detect->Difference of Gaussians
    >> DoG Edge Detect: Radius 1=3.0, Radius 2=1.0 px [x]Normalize [x]Invert
    >>
    >>Do you have a better/easier way to turn a JPG into a simple line drawing?

    >GIMP does it just as well as any other program, as there
    >isn't much of anything special about the mechanisms
    >used. It's more a question of exactly what you decide
    >you want, and knowing how to produce that specific
    >effect.
    >
    >For example, given that you are not looking for a final
    >product, but rather an outline that children can
    >color... you don't need any fine detail, and you don't
    >need dark areas so much as just getting the edges.
    >
    >I would suggest playing with pre-processing a little,
    >before you run an edge detection algorithm.
    >
    >Try things like excessive amounts of Unsharp Mask. Use
    >USM rather than Sharpen. A Sharpen tool looks for
    >sequences of tonal variations such as the hair on a
    >person's head, and increases the contrast between dark
    >and light areas. That isn't what you want! USM looks
    >for single tone transitions, for example the edge
    >between the person's hair and their face, and treats the
    >area of hair as an average of the tone variations there.
    >
    >Also you can try different combinations of more contrast
    >and more brightness for the entire image. Unlike with a
    >regular photograph, in this case apply USM first and
    >other edits afterwards.
    >
    >Then try the edge detection algorithms. And afterwards
    >try once again to see what both USM as well as contrast
    >and brightness adjustments do.

    I love Gimp, especially because it's called "the" Gimp. Used
    judiciously, the unsharp mask feature can yield a more uniform
    result to photos from which to apply line-art or other effects.
    I typically work between Gimp, Inkscape, and other freeware
    programs, to attain what I'm looking for, book covers, titles,
    illustrations, etc. Experimentation is king, but then again,
    the simpler the better. I treat video much like I treat audio.

    >I got such a kick out of your picture too. The little
    >boy looks very much like a fellow I used to babysit at
    >that age (he is 11 now). There was a little girl like
    >that one who visited now and then, and one day when I
    >said I was going to hug him, she told me it just was not
    >allowed. She was going to give him all the hugs and
    >kisses he needed! So I asked her if it would be okay if
    >his mother hugged and kissed him, and she thought for a
    >few seconds and allowed as how she might let his mom hug
    >him, now and then... :)
    >--
    >Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
    >Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing that.

    In the early-1980s, I met a guy who was born and raised in Barrow,
    Alaska. His name was Ray Betz, a healthy and strong looking man
    in his 20s. He had an "extra" layer of fat on his face and body,
    and a uniquely rosy-red appearance to his otherwise ultra-white
    facial cheeks different from, and far healthier looking than,
    common rosacea. Frankly, his face looked naturally fatted like
    that of a seal, a penguin, or a walrus. He was very intelligent.

    During the winter, he would show up to work wearing a tee-shirt,
    shorts, and tennis shoes, while everybody else was bundled up in
    down parkas, winter boots, gloves, caps, and so forth, shivering
    while he was almost sweating. As summer drew on, he was miserably
    hot and sweated profusely. We'd become friends by then and I saw
    this happen to him, and to his wife, at the small apartment which
    they had rented. Apart from the huge difference in climate, they
    seemed otherwise perfectly normal. At the time it made me grateful
    that I was used to living in a chilly winter climate where I live
    than in Barrow, Alaska, or north-eastern Siberia for that matter.

    --
    Bub

    Anonymous, Dec 28, 2012
  17. Tony Palermo

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > Inkscape has another way to do it--Path/Trace Bitmap.
    > That gives you a vector drawing.
    > Try that and select "edge detection".

    That's a very nice feature. Thanks for informing us.

    1. Save the picture below to /tmp/kids1.jpg
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/11780489/img/11780489.jpg

    2. Add a line drawing of the picture to a layer on TOP of that picture:
    $ cd /tmp; inkscape kids1.jpg &
    Inkscape: Edit->Select All
    Inkscape: Path->Trace Bitmap->(o)Edge detection->Update->OK

    RESULT:
    http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/11784878/img/11784878.png

    3. Delete the original picture:
    Inkscape: Move the top trace layer off a bit to the side
    Inkscape: Select the bottom photograph layer
    Inkscape: Edit->Delete (this deletes the original photograph)
    Inkscape: File->Save As->kids2.svg

    RESULT:
    http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11784885/img/11784885.png

    4. Compare the vector trace of the outlines with the original:
    $ convert kids1.jpg kids2.svg +append kids3.jpg

    RESULT:
    http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11785731/img/11785731.jpg

    QUESTION: What's the advantage of this trace being a vector diagram?

    Tony Palermo, Dec 28, 2012
  18. Tony Palermo

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kbjcn7$470$>,
    says...

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    > > Inkscape has another way to do it--Path/Trace Bitmap.
    > > That gives you a vector drawing.
    > > Try that and select "edge detection".

    > That's a very nice feature. Thanks for informing us.
    >
    > 1. Save the picture below to /tmp/kids1.jpg
    > http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/11780489/img/11780489.jpg
    >
    > 2. Add a line drawing of the picture to a layer on TOP of that picture:
    > $ cd /tmp; inkscape kids1.jpg &
    > Inkscape: Edit->Select All
    > Inkscape: Path->Trace Bitmap->(o)Edge detection->Update->OK
    >
    > RESULT:
    > http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/11784878/img/11784878.png
    >
    > 3. Delete the original picture:
    > Inkscape: Move the top trace layer off a bit to the side
    > Inkscape: Select the bottom photograph layer
    > Inkscape: Edit->Delete (this deletes the original photograph)
    > Inkscape: File->Save As->kids2.svg
    >
    > RESULT:
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11784885/img/11784885.png
    >
    > 4. Compare the vector trace of the outlines with the original:
    > $ convert kids1.jpg kids2.svg +append kids3.jpg
    >
    > RESULT:
    > http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11785731/img/11785731.jpg
    >
    > QUESTION: What's the advantage of this trace being a vector diagram?

    Triple-click and you should see handles appear all over the place. You
    can use those to fine-tune.

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2012

    Dave U. Random, Dec 28, 2012
  20. Tony Palermo