freeware password lock for Win98 won't work now

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by trader-of-some-jacks, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a nice
    simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That program,
    Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
    http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm

    The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then very
    young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up), then I
    pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and more
    responsible.

    A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to something
    different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back to
    the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get the
    program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to launch
    on startup!

    Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the software,
    then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
    http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm (my version I'd
    had before was the same version downloadable now).

    The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference says
    to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
    "options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
    program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave password
    blank.

    Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
    system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd like to
    know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.
    trader-of-some-jacks, Jul 21, 2004

  2. trader-of-some-jacks

    JD Guest

    "trader-of-some-jacks" <> wrote in message
    > In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a nice
    > simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That

    program,
    > Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
    > http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm
    >
    > The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then

    very
    > young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up), then

    > pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and

    more
    > responsible.
    >
    > A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to something
    > different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back

    > the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get

    the
    > program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to

    launch
    > on startup!
    >
    > Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the

    software,
    > then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
    > http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm (my version

    I'd
    > had before was the same version downloadable now).
    >
    > The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference

    says
    > to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
    > "options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
    > program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave

    password
    > blank.
    >
    > Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
    > system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd

    like to
    > know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

    Why not remove it and replace it with this.
    Winsecure-IT is similar to the builtin lock feature of Windows
    NT/2K/XP, however developed for Windows 95/98/ME.

    It is to be used much like you would use a passwordenabled screensaver
    under Win9x, just without all the hassle.

    http://www.sguft.com
    JD, Jul 21, 2004

  3. trader-of-some-jacks

    JD Guest

    > > In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a

    nice
    > > simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That

    > program,
    > > Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm
    > >
    > > The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then

    > very
    > > young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up),

    then
    > > pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and

    > more
    > > responsible.
    > >
    > > A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to

    something
    > > different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back

    > > the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get

    > the
    > > program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to

    > launch
    > > on startup!
    > >
    > > Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the

    > software,
    > > then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm (my

    version
    > I'd
    > > had before was the same version downloadable now).
    > >
    > > The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference

    > says
    > > to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
    > > "options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
    > > program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave

    > password
    > > blank.
    > >
    > > Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
    > > system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd

    > like to
    > > know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

    > Why not remove it and replace it with this.
    > Winsecure-IT is similar to the builtin lock feature of Windows
    > NT/2K/XP, however developed for Windows 95/98/ME.
    >
    > It is to be used much like you would use a passwordenabled

    screensaver
    > under Win9x, just without all the hassle.
    >
    > http://www.sguft.com

    Forgot the most important part. It works great and is free.
    JD
    JD, Jul 21, 2004
  4. On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:27:40 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks
    <> wrote:

    >In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a nice
    >simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That program,
    >Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
    >http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm
    >
    >The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then very
    >young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up), then I
    >pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and more
    >responsible.
    >
    >A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to something
    >different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back to
    >the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get the
    >program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to launch
    >on startup!
    >
    >Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the software,
    >then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
    >http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/grahampe/protector.htm (my version I'd
    >had before was the same version downloadable now).
    >
    >The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference says
    >to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
    >"options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
    >program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave password
    >blank.
    >
    >Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
    >system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd like to
    >know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

    Check the registry or for any hidden INI files for
    references to the program, my guess for good places to
    check:

    C:\Program Files (when you uninstall the program, delete the
    folder as well.)

    C:\Windows (Check there for any INIs associated with the
    program and delete)

    It might be stored in the C:\Windows\*.PWL (PassWord List)
    file where * represents the user.

    Check the registry for the applicaton and once it is
    uninstalled delete the keys for it,

    A good registry cleaner may help.

    --
    Sincerely, | (©) (©)
    Andrew H. Carter | /// \\\
    d(-_-)b |
    Andrew H. Carter (Applied ROT 17 Left, for Email d, Jul 21, 2004