Freeware for reducing digital shots for email

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Guys & Gals
    Have tried a number of programs that reduce a file for email transmission
    and found some that were fair to middling in there application. I need a
    program to supply to an elderly gentleman not particularly computer
    literate. He uses a Minolta Diimage7 (I think) digital and downloads to
    his pc. However, he needs some automated program that can take his images
    and then "reduce" them to say around 300k for email transmission. I would
    like to provide him advice on a freeware program I can download and provide
    to him. However, as previously stated it has to be very very easy to use as
    he suffers some confusion issues at times. Prefer some sort of basis image
    viewer organiser that he simply has to say push a button that says send by
    email when you are connected etc. The program should then resize etc. He
    has a fairly low spec computer and only a dial up 28 k line. Any
    suggestions.

    regards

    --
    Don From Down Under
    Don, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Don

    [BnH] Guest

    irfanview.com =)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Dec 26, 2004

  3. Don

    Mike F Guest

    Give him a pointer (or copy of ) irfanview ( http://www.irfanview.com )
    and take a look at the article on "batch-resizing images with irfanview
    by Dwayne Alton" as a starting point for a worksheet you could give
    him to run through his pictures. The tutorial is at
    http://www.netoffices.com/articles/imaging/batchresize.htm
    he would probably be OK with either a copy of the article printed out
    to work from or maybe you could simplify it somewhat to give him
    a simple workflow.

    mikey

    Mike F, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Don

    Ryadia Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message

    > Guys & Gals
    > Have tried a number of programs that reduce a file for email transmission
    > and found some that were fair to middling in there application. I need a
    > program to supply to an elderly gentleman not particularly computer
    > literate. He uses a Minolta Diimage7 (I think) digital and downloads to
    > his pc. However, he needs some automated program that can take his images
    > and then "reduce" them to say around 300k for email transmission. I would
    > like to provide him advice on a freeware program I can download and

    provide
    > to him. However, as previously stated it has to be very very easy to use

    as
    > he suffers some confusion issues at times. Prefer some sort of basis

    image
    > viewer organiser that he simply has to say push a button that says send by
    > email when you are connected etc. The program should then resize etc. He
    > has a fairly low spec computer and only a dial up 28 k line. Any
    > suggestions.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    Really good product which will also index every photo on your PC for uou is
    Picassa from Google. It does the same job as Irfanview without the
    navigation hassles of Irfanview. Both are free. I use both but for sending
    email photos, you can't go past picassa.

    Doug
    Ryadia, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Don

    Leana Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message

    > Guys & Gals
    > Have tried a number of programs that reduce a file for email transmission
    > and found some that were fair to middling in there application. I need a
    > program to supply to an elderly gentleman not particularly computer
    > literate. He uses a Minolta Diimage7 (I think) digital and downloads to
    > his pc. However, he needs some automated program that can take his images
    > and then "reduce" them to say around 300k for email transmission. I would
    > like to provide him advice on a freeware program I can download and
    > provide to him. However, as previously stated it has to be very very easy
    > to use as he suffers some confusion issues at times. Prefer some sort of
    > basis image viewer organiser that he simply has to say push a button that
    > says send by email when you are connected etc. The program should then
    > resize etc. He has a fairly low spec computer and only a dial up 28 k
    > line. Any suggestions.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    Try "Image Resizer" free from Microsoft, Downloadable from the "Powertoys
    for Windows XP". While it is ONLY for XP, it is very easy to use. Just find
    your photo, right click and choose "resize" and it will create a reduced
    copy of the original image, several sizes available, just pick one and
    click, new smaller image created in the same directory as the original,
    with ("small" )added to the original name.
    Leana, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Don

    Don Guest

    Folks, thanks for all your suggestions. Have a happy new year.

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Dec 27, 2004