    you guys.

    I really appreciate any assistance on this.

    TIA

    Rose Bush, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Rose Bush

    Tony Guest

    "Rose Bush" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd like a recommendation for a freeware firewall. I've googled and
    > come up with what seems like millions. I'm running XP Pro, Svc Pak1,
    > and have developed problems installing, and maintaining, Svc Pak2.
    > So, I need a firewall for a few weeks while I get this squared away.
    >
    > So rather than sit and install, test, and uninstall everything on the
    > list until I found one that works for me, I'd like some feedback from
    > you guys.
    >
    > I really appreciate any assistance on this.
    >
    > TIA

    I use Zonealarm, have used it for years with no problem.

    Tony, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Rose Bush

    fred-bloggs Guest

    fred-bloggs, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Rose Bush

    Mellowed Guest

    I can think of three firewalls that are free. All are good.

    Zone Alarm
    Outpost
    Sygate

    Sygate was purchased by Symantec and is no longer free. I prefer Sygate
    over Outpost and Zone Alarm. I had mysterious things happen with the
    other two. You can find a copy of the free version at
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate . Suggest you latch on
    to a copy before it disappears.

    :

    Mellowed, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Rose Bush

    Trax Guest

    Rose Bush <> wrote:

    |>I'd like a recommendation for a freeware firewall. I've googled and
    |>come up with what seems like millions. I'm running XP Pro, Svc Pak1,
    |>and have developed problems installing, and maintaining, Svc Pak2.
    |>So, I need a firewall for a few weeks while I get this squared away.
    |>
    |>So rather than sit and install, test, and uninstall everything on the
    |>list until I found one that works for me, I'd like some feedback from
    |>you guys.
    |>
    |>I really appreciate any assistance on this.

    To test your firewall http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm - this is an old
    program that only ZA would pass, now all firewalls should pass.

    --
    http://www.glop.org/starforce/remove.php

    Trax, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Rose Bush

    Rose Bush Guest

    I appreciate the responses to my query. The info really helped.

    And Mellowed, I know what you mean about ZA. I had tried it sometime
    ago, and it really did generate some weird and mysterious actions.

    Again guys, thanks to all.

    Rose Bush, Mar 25, 2006
  8. Rose Bush wrote:

    > I'd like a recommendation for a freeware firewall. I've googled and
    > come up with what seems like millions. I'm running XP Pro, Svc Pak1,
    > and have developed problems installing, and maintaining, Svc Pak2.
    > So, I need a firewall for a few weeks while I get this squared away.

    Would help a bit if you explained the problems with sp2 a bit :)
    Now, sp1 already has the firewall, have a look and enable it.

    > So rather than sit and install, test, and uninstall everything on the
    > list until I found one that works for me, I'd like some feedback from
    > you guys.

    What do you really want?
    Actually, a firewall is a device or (workaround for missing extra device)
    software that blocks all unnegotiated access from the outside to open ports
    on your computer. The most effective solution would be to
    close/disable/uninstall all unnecessary ports/services/suspicious programs
    for the outside - but that's hard to do with windows gui utilities alone.
    Desktop firewalls are a workaround for that, in addition they aim to protect
    against spyware and trojans - which they can't really do, instead keep
    users comfortable by displaying "attack" messages now and then.
    If you do not want to be buggered with alerts but gain some real safety, use
    a cheap NAT router, refrain from using IE except for windows update, use
    alternative e-mail programs (NOT incredimail) which do not call IE routines
    for preview, and practice "safe hex" which means never use html preview and
    do not open attachments from strangers unless you keep them in quarantine
    for at least one week (time for scanner signatures to catch up) and _then_
    scan with a up-to-daily-definition virussacnner.
    A much more simple alternative would be linux (ubuntu comes to my mind) for
    e-mailing, surfing, writing letters with openoffice ....
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 25, 2006
  9. Rose Bush

    fred-bloggs Guest

    fred-bloggs, Mar 25, 2006
  10. Rose Bush wrote:

    > I'd like a recommendation for a freeware firewall. I've googled and
    > come up with what seems like millions. I'm running XP Pro, Svc Pak1,
    > and have developed problems installing, and maintaining, Svc Pak2.
    > So, I need a firewall for a few weeks while I get this squared away.
    >
    > So rather than sit and install, test, and uninstall everything on the
    > list until I found one that works for me, I'd like some feedback from
    > you guys.
    >
    > I really appreciate any assistance on this.

    Kerio Personal Firewall. Move to it from ZoneAlarm years ago and never
    regretted it. I think a lot of Kerio users are ex-ZA users, from what I
    read.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 25, 2006
  11. Rose Bush

    Plato Guest

    Rose Bush wrote:

    > I'd like a recommendation for a freeware firewall. I've googled and

    Try an older version of Zone Alarm. I use 2.6

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  12. Rose Bush

    Plato Guest

    Mellowed wrote:

    > I can think of three firewalls that are free. All are good.
    >
    > Zone Alarm
    > Outpost
    > Sygate
    >
    > Sygate was purchased by Symantec and is no longer free. I prefer Sygate

    Sheesh. Thanks a lot. I was linking to Sygate on my utils page. I
    certainly dont want to provide a free link to Symantec. Yes, when you
    clicked on the link it took you to Symantec. Link removed. Thanks again.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  13. Rose Bush

    aitch Guest

    Rose Bush wrote:
    > I'd like a recommendation for a freeware firewall. I've googled and
    > come up with what seems like millions. I'm running XP Pro, Svc Pak1,
    > and have developed problems installing, and maintaining, Svc Pak2.
    > So, I need a firewall for a few weeks while I get this squared away.
    >
    > So rather than sit and install, test, and uninstall everything on the
    > list until I found one that works for me, I'd like some feedback from
    > you guys.
    >
    > I really appreciate any assistance on this.
    >
    > TIA

    Kerio Personal Firewall V 2.1.5. I've used Kerio Personal Firewall V
    2.1.5 very successfully on my W98SE system. It's fairly easy to use once
    you understand it's rule based approach. If you decide to use it, you'll
    find a lot of useful information at
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio, particularly the ruleset defined
    by BlitzenZeus.
    All the best, H.