    Is it possible to record the free view programmes, if so what would be the
    set up to achieve this. He has no problems recording the normal channels.
    Bob

    Bob B, Aug 27, 2006

  2. Bob B

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-27, Bob B <> wrote:
    > My son has a new flat panel Samsung HD television with built in free view.
    > Is it possible to record the free view programmes, if so what would be the
    > set up to achieve this. He has no problems recording the normal channels.
    > Bob

    You can probably set up your VCR (or whatever) to record from the TV, which
    should work equally well when the TV is showing either a digital or an
    analogue station. Of course, then you can't use the TV to view something
    else while the VCR is recording.

    If you want to be able to record digital broadcasts directly, while using
    the TV to view a different programme, then your VCR will have to have its
    own digital receiver as well as the analogue receiver it already has (and
    which allows it to record analogue programmes independently from the TV).

    If the VCR doesn't have its own built-in digital receiver then you will
    need to connect it to a 'digibox', tune the digibox to the required
    channel, and set the VCR to record from the digibox [1]. You may need an
    aerial booster/splitter to get a good signal on both the new TV and the
    digibox at the same time, and the connections between the various boxes
    can get complicated. There are multi-way SCART switches (from Maplin,
    Curry's, etc) that make it easier to record from the digibox to the VCR
    and then play back from the VCR to the TV.

    [1] Some VCRs and digiboxes can be set up to make this much easier than it
    sounds, eg the digibox may have VCR-like recording settings which will
    wake up the digibox and tune to the appropriate channel at a pre-set time,
    and the VCR may be able to detect the digibox waking up and start
    recording from it immediately.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 27, 2006