Freeview + Telecom? iptv

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    TV next Telecom battle

    From The Indepdendent

    TELECOM is to piggyback on the advent of Freeview digital television
    to launch its own hybrid set-top box that it hopes will become the
    single gateway householders use to watch, record, download and play
    television and movies.

    The decision by New Zealand's biggest listed company to throw its
    marketing and financial weight behind Freeview while it's still in
    its infancy will provide a major boost for the platform, which free
    to air broadcasters such as TVNZ and TV3 hope will provide real
    competition for Sky TV.

    Telecom's decision to go down the hybrid television route rather than
    via a pure internet protocol television (IPTV) path also signals its
    reluctance to invest too heavily in widespread, high-bandwith
    broadband connections given the uncertainty over government
    regulation.

    Telecom's general manager of video services, Philip King, said the
    economics of pure IPTV did not stack up given the uncertainty of the
    regulatory environment and the likely revenues from IPTV alone.

    Telecom had looked at IPTV in previous years and had decided again
    this year that it could not be done profitably given the hundreds of
    millions of dollars needed to upgrade and extend the underlying
    broadband network.

    Telecom was now in early discussions with Freeview and both the free-
    to-air broadcasters about how to launch its hybrid boxes. It is also
    investigating what tools it can add to the boxes to help viewers
    download "catch-up" TV or movies using the connection the boxes will
    have to a home's copper wire broadband connection, King said.

    "We can be quite helpful to them (the broadcasters behind Freeview)
    in giving Freeview the momentum to get going," King told The
    Independent Financial Review.

    He described the negotiations as "complex but friendly."

    Telecom would use its marketing muscle through its extensive network
    of shops and its installation resources to help roll out Freeview.
    Telecom is the country's biggest advertiser.

    Until now, a small Freeview organisation has had to plan to take on
    the might of Sky's resources on its own, including the task of
    deciding on set top boxes and planning installation systems.

    A Telecom set top box would include a personal video recorder (PVR)
    and the ability to download regular programmes or movies via the
    broadband phone line connection.

    These could be paid for through subscriptions or pay per view, with a
    revenue share potentially going to the programme provider.

    Telecom is pitching the box as a useful set of tools on top of a
    regular digital television receiver that helps Freeview compete with
    the likes of SkyTV's MySky.

    The hybrid boxes could even be subsidised, helping to extend the
    penetration of the boxes. The simple TV next Telecom battle Freeview
    boxes being proposed by TVNZ and TV3 were expected to cost several
    hundred dollars to buy and install. "It's (subsidising boxes) with in
    the realms of possibility. It's possible for high-value customers
    that you would want to encourage them on to that service," King said.

    Sky also offers subsidised set top boxes and installation to
    encourage viewers to sign up for its services. It now has more than
    667,000 households, or more than 42% of the market, signed up for its
    services.

    King said Telecom had no plans to get into the business of buying and
    producing content such as sports or entertainment programming, but
    would not rule it out long term.

    Asked if Telecom would bid against Sky for rights to broadcast All
    Black and Super 14 matches when they come up for renewal in 2010,
    King said Telecom preferred to focus on delivering the added extras
    through the box rather than generating the pure content.

    "We're not ourselves in the content game. We're looking to work in
    partnership with the industry."

    This included the option of offering a different hybrid box that
    allowed householders to receive satellite channels from Sky and to
    download movies and programmes via broadband.

    Telecom began work on its television plan in April and now has a team
    of 10 building the proposal.

    King said he was recruiting another half a dozen people to lead the
    launch by the whole company in the first half of 2008. Telecom would
    tender for the software and hardware used in the boxes in the first
    quarter of next year.

    Telecom's move into television comes as it hunts for new revenue
    opportunities to compensate for pressure on revenues and margins as
    the government re-regulates the sector.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 27, 2006

  2. Craig Sutton

    JohnO Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
> [...]
    > through the box rather than generating the pure content.
    >
    > "We're not ourselves in the content game. We're looking to work in
    > partnership with the industry."
    >
    > This included the option of offering a different hybrid box that
    > allowed householders to receive satellite channels from Sky and to
    > download movies and programmes via broadband.
    >
    > Telecom began work on its television plan in April and now has a team
    > of 10 building the proposal.
    >
    > King said he was recruiting another half a dozen people to lead the
    > launch by the whole company in the first half of 2008. Telecom would
    > tender for the software and hardware used in the boxes in the first
    > quarter of next year.
    >
    > Telecom's move into television comes as it hunts for new revenue
    > opportunities to compensate for pressure on revenues and margins as

    Presumably just a small percentage of the population watching iptv will
    be enough to bring ADSL to it's knees?

    JohnO, Nov 27, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton

    Zipper Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
> [...]
    > through the box rather than generating the pure content.
    >
    > "We're not ourselves in the content game. We're looking to work in
    > partnership with the industry."
    >
    > This included the option of offering a different hybrid box that
    > allowed householders to receive satellite channels from Sky and to
    > download movies and programmes via broadband.
    >
    > Telecom began work on its television plan in April and now has a team
    > of 10 building the proposal.
    >
    > King said he was recruiting another half a dozen people to lead the
    > launch by the whole company in the first half of 2008. Telecom would
    > tender for the software and hardware used in the boxes in the first
    > quarter of next year.
    >
    > Telecom's move into television comes as it hunts for new revenue
    > opportunities to compensate for pressure on revenues and margins as

    This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    really..

    Zipper, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Zipper" <> wrote in message news:...

    > This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    > It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    > want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    > really..

    You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    them.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Craig Sutton

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "Zipper" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    >> It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    >> want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    >> really..

    > You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    > what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    > them.

    My guess is live multicasting - i.e a 20 min show is scheduled to play every
    30 mins but to multiple computers because it only has to be sent once - much
    more efficient than unicasting on demand where it's sent each time it's
    requested. Of course there's some good peer to peer stuff out there now
    too.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Craig Sutton

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Zipper" <> wrote in message news:...
    >

    > > This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    > > It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    > > want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    > > really..

    > You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    > what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    > them.

    Not if you are using MPEG4, you can get get this down to under 1 mbit.

    Also depends how much control you have over the pipe. If you can
    multicast atleast as far as the head, and then only provide the IPTV
    feed down the ADSL connection that the customer has requested you can
    offer a lot of channels.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > "Zipper" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    >> It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    >> want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    >> really..

    > You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    > what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    > them.

    You don't think it would take a lot more than 1,000 (and that's being
    generous) people to make it worthwhile?

    Some people are quick to forget about ihug's failure as a TV broadcaster.

    And the public take up of faster internet over dial up can't be all that
    great either.

    A good example is that out of 4 million people in the country - perhaps
    almost a million online - that **** all people bother to take part in the NZ
    newsgroups.
    A real good indication that people have individual needs and aren't likely
    to give up long established services for anything that they don't need just
    for the sake of having it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Craig Sutton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mathew Good < wrote in

    > Does the Netguide even mention it..?

    Does the netguide ever get technical?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 29, 2006
  9. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Zipper" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    >>> It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    >>> want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    >>> really..

    >> You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    >> what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    >> them.

    > You don't think it would take a lot more than 1,000 (and that's being
    > generous) people to make it worthwhile?

    Where are you pulling that figure 1000 people what? Telecom has been
    trialing abox with Sky. Its no secret. Not sure if I like the idea though of
    Telecom being involved.

    For it work they really would need to make local internet traffic free along
    with giving a minimum level of service. It would be no good watching some
    rugby game and then having the pic buffer or dropout..

    Craig Sutton, Nov 29, 2006
  10. Craig Sutton

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Zipper" <> wrote in message

    > >> You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    > >> what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    > >> them.

    > > You don't think it would take a lot more than 1,000 (and that's being
    > > generous) people to make it worthwhile?
    > >

    > Where are you pulling that figure 1000 people what? Telecom has been
    > trialing abox with Sky. Its no secret. Not sure if I like the idea though of
    > Telecom being involved.

    I agree. Bad enough what Sky can get off their boxes if you have a
    modem connection without Telecom monitoring everything you watch over
    broadband. Just imaging the targetted advertising they could do.

    > For it work they really would need to make local internet traffic free along
    > with giving a minimum level of service. It would be no good watching some
    > rugby game and then having the pic buffer or dropout..

    Seperate channel over the ADSL from your normal internet connection.
    There have been services in HK and other places doing this. They
    muticast the channels to the head/DSLAM and unicast down your ADSL
    connection from there. Removes all of the contention issues as the pipe
    from your house to the DSLAM is dedicated. Its just the backhaul that
    is congested.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Nov 29, 2006
  11. Craig Sutton

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:22:47 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Zipper" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> This is what Orcon want to roll out next year along with vdsl2.
    >>> It is interesting that Telecom don't trust their own network enough to
    >>> want to try it, kind of says a lot about the current state of things
    >>> really..

    >> You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I expect
    >> what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    >> them.

    >You don't think it would take a lot more than 1,000 (and that's being
    >generous) people to make it worthwhile?
    >
    >Some people are quick to forget about ihug's failure as a TV broadcaster.
    >
    >And the public take up of faster internet over dial up can't be all that
    >great either.
    >
    >A good example is that out of 4 million people in the country - perhaps
    >almost a million online - that **** all people bother to take part in the NZ
    >newsgroups.

    Its because Usenet is not promoted at all, all (- say 3) the people that I know that use a PC do
    not even know what Usenet it.

    Mathew Good, Nov 29, 2006
  12. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Zipper" <> wrote in message

    >>> You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I
    >>> expect what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than
    >>> stream them.

    >> You don't think it would take a lot more than 1,000 (and that's being
    >> generous) people to make it worthwhile?
    >>

    > Where are you pulling that figure 1000 people what? Telecom has been
    > trialing abox with Sky. Its no secret. Not sure if I like the idea though
    > of Telecom being involved.
    >
    > For it work they really would need to make local internet traffic free
    > along with giving a minimum level of service. It would be no good watching
    > some rugby game and then having the pic buffer or dropout..

    Fine, but the point is without a good projection of how many thousands of
    people will watch a TV outfit from a number of possible choices it's bound
    to be a big gamble.

    As for rugby games most of the country can already see them without many
    problems at all, and some of those people don't even need to own SKY TV in
    order to do it. Thousands round the country will simply go to their local
    pubs to enjoy the rugby games with their usual locals.

    Some are going to get more pie than others. TVNZ and TV3 already have good
    slices along with SKY TV.

    The main offerings on any gamble will have to be movies and sports, not
    Chinese gardens and Eskimo cooking shows.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 29, 2006
  13. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:22:47 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Zipper" <> wrote in message

    >>> You need a minimum of a constant 2.5 mbitt to do SDTV over iptv. I
    >>> expect
    >>> what they will offer is the ability to download shows rather than stream
    >>> them.

    >>You don't think it would take a lot more than 1,000 (and that's being
    >>generous) people to make it worthwhile?
    >>
    >>Some people are quick to forget about ihug's failure as a TV broadcaster.
    >>
    >>And the public take up of faster internet over dial up can't be all that
    >>great either.
    >>
    >>A good example is that out of 4 million people in the country - perhaps
    >>almost a million online - that **** all people bother to take part in the
    >>NZ
    >>newsgroups.

    > Its because Usenet is not promoted at all, all (- say 3) the people
    > that I know that use a PC do
    > not even know what Usenet it.
    >
    > Does the Netguide even mention it..?

    Very true.
    Not many people know what Netguide is either. Many wouldn't even buy or
    look at a PC magazine.

    All the possible new TV options won't mean a thing to the TVNZ only watchers
    round the country.

    And if every option was available right now. Just how many people would
    start using all of them? There's only 24 hours in a day.
    Sure they could buy half a dozen DVD recorders, but there's still the main
    problem of finding the time to watch all the crap while even more of it is
    being recorded until the hard drives can no longer record any more of it.

    Now here's a point. Plenty of TV channels on right now but a lot of people
    are busy on their computers instead.
    With a population of 50 million such new plans for TV in the country
    wouldn't be the gamble that it is now.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 29, 2006
  14. Craig Sutton

    Richard Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > The main offerings on any gamble will have to be movies and sports, not
    > Chinese gardens and Eskimo cooking shows.

    Considering that most people I know with sky do not have movies or
    sport, and struggle to find anything to use the free pay per views they
    got with the install to watch, I think those are the 2 least needed things.

    Richard, Nov 29, 2006
  15. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> The main offerings on any gamble will have to be movies and sports, not
    >> Chinese gardens and Eskimo cooking shows.

    > Considering that most people I know with sky do not have movies or sport,
    > and struggle to find anything to use the free pay per views they got with
    > the install to watch, I think those are the 2 least needed things.

    Then SKY offers very little to most people you know.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 29, 2006
  16. Craig Sutton

    Philip Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    (snip)

    > A good example is that out of 4 million people in the country - perhaps
    > almost a million online - that **** all people bother to take part in the NZ
    > newsgroups.

    I doubt most new Internet users even know there are such groups. Even if
    they stumble on them by accident, the very low signal-to-noise ratio
    would likely discourage of them.

    Plus... groups are store-and-forward technology, while gaming and IRC
    are real time, and more interesting with it.

    Philip, Nov 29, 2006
  17. Craig Sutton

    Richard Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    >> Considering that most people I know with sky do not have movies or sport,
    >> and struggle to find anything to use the free pay per views they got with
    >> the install to watch, I think those are the 2 least needed things.

    > Then SKY offers very little to most people you know.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Exactly, if it wasn't for cartoon network and nick and discovery and
    animal planet etc, then there would be no need for it.

    Richard, Nov 30, 2006
  18. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >>> Considering that most people I know with sky do not have movies or
    >>> sport, and struggle to find anything to use the free pay per views they
    >>> got with the install to watch, I think those are the 2 least needed
    >>> things.

    >> Then SKY offers very little to most people you know.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Exactly, if it wasn't for cartoon network and nick and discovery and
    > animal planet etc, then there would be no need for it.

    The one exception being the best show on SKY Discovery and old repeats on
    Prime - American Chopper.

    People of all ages enjoy watching the Tuttals.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 2, 2006