FREEVIEW problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Dec 4, 2010.

  1. What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    William Brown, Dec 4, 2010

  2. William Brown

    Greg Guest

    On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    > What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    > are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    You don't actually need 2 boxes, but if you are going to the trouble you
    might as well get one of the boxes with dual tuners and a HDD, record 2
    channels while you watch something you recorded previously, way better
    that a VCR don't you think. Time to upgrade to the 21st century!

    Greg, Dec 4, 2010

  3. William Brown

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:14:26 +1300, William Brown wrote:

    > What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    > are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    You need one box for every simultaneous channel you want available to
    legacy equipment.

    This was known from the beginning. What's your problem with it?

    Sweetpea, Dec 4, 2010
  4. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 04/12/10 22:14, William Brown wrote:

    > What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what
    > they are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top
    > boxes.

    What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
    Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2010
  5. William Brown

    victor Guest

    Re: WOGER problems

    On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    > What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    > are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    Not their problem

    victor, Dec 4, 2010
  6. On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:33:12 +1300, Greg <> wrote:

    >On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    >>

    >> What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    >> are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    >You don't actually need 2 boxes, but if you are going to the trouble you
    >might as well get one of the boxes with dual tuners and a HDD, record 2
    >channels while you watch something you recorded previously, way better
    >that a VCR don't you think. Time to upgrade to the 21st century!

    And way beyond what most older people can handler..

    William Brown, Dec 5, 2010
  7. On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:33:12 +1300, Greg <> wrote:

    >On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    >>

    >> What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    >> are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    >You don't actually need 2 boxes, but if you are going to the trouble you
    >might as well get one of the boxes with dual tuners and a HDD, record 2
    >channels while you watch something you recorded previously, way better
    >that a VCR don't you think. Time to upgrade to the 21st century!

    Not all of the can record 2 channels, record one watch the other.

    William Brown, Dec 5, 2010
  8. On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 04/12/10 22:14, William Brown wrote:
    >>

    >> What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what
    >> they are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top
    >> boxes.
    >>

    >What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
    >Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    No you are totally wrong the are still being sold

    Why Is this group full of Idiots..?

    http://www.lg.com/nz/tv-audio-video/video/dvd-vcr-combo.jsp

    http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/...er/dvd-recorder/index.idx?pagetype=subtype_p2

    http://lvmartin.co.nz/public/produc...de=DVDV6800&level1code=L1ENT&level2code=L2VCR

    William Brown, Dec 5, 2010
  9. William Brown

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:12:06 +1300, William Brown wrote:

    >>You don't actually need 2 boxes, but if you are going to the trouble you
    >>might as well get one of the boxes with dual tuners and a HDD, record 2
    >>channels while you watch something you recorded previously, way better
    >>that a VCR don't you think. Time to upgrade to the 21st century!

    > And way beyond what most older people can handler.

    Is that why you can't cope with modern AV equipment?

    Sweetpea, Dec 5, 2010
  10. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 04/12/10 22:14, William Brown wrote:
    >>>

    >>> What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what
    >>> they are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top
    >>> boxes.
    >>>

    >> What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
    >> Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

    > No you are totally wrong the are still being sold

    The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

    Enkidu, Dec 5, 2010
  11. On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
    >>> Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

    >> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
    >>

    >The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

    Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Dec 5, 2010
  12. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 05/12/10 17:40, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300,
    > Enkidu<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:

    >>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
    >>>

    >> The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes
    >> to DVD.

    > Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??

    What other use would there be?

    Enkidu, Dec 5, 2010
  13. On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:12:06 +1300, William Brown wrote:
    >
    >>>You don't actually need 2 boxes, but if you are going to the trouble you
    >>>might as well get one of the boxes with dual tuners and a HDD, record 2
    >>>channels while you watch something you recorded previously, way better
    >>>that a VCR don't you think. Time to upgrade to the 21st century!

    >> And way beyond what most older people can handler.

    >Is that why you can't cope with modern AV equipment?

    No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally lost..

    William Brown, Dec 5, 2010
  14. On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
    >>> Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

    >> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
    >>

    >The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    And to Record Analog TV and Cable TV, seem you know bugger all.

    Like most here.

    William Brown, Dec 5, 2010
  15. On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:40:31 +1300, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:

    >>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
    >>>

    >>The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

    >Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??

    He has not at all.

    William Brown, Dec 5, 2010
  16. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 05/12/10 19:14, William Brown wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:

    >>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
    >>>

    >> The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

    > And to Record Analog TV and Cable TV, seem you know bugger all.

    But when there is no "analog TV" there will be no need of a VCR for
    recording TV. Therefore the only use will be to pirate tapes to DVD.

    Enkidu, Dec 5, 2010
  17. William Brown

    Richard Guest

    On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    > What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
    > are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

    They also dont seem to mention that you need AV inputs on the TV to use
    a STB, or that you need to have a television to start with.

    Funnily enough, on the going digital site, one of the options is that
    you dont have a television.

    One problem I have with that site is it tells everyone they need a UHF
    antenna, even those that put an address in right under the transmission
    site, which IMO may drive more people to sky because of the lower
    install costs that it has.

    Richard, Dec 5, 2010
  18. William Brown

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 19:12:28 +1300, William Brown wrote:

    > On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:12:06 +1300, William Brown wrote:
    >>> And way beyond what most older people can handler.

    >>Is that why you can't cope with modern AV equipment?

    > No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally lost..

    We know you were an "engineer" way back in the middle of last century
    when valve-based computers with the power of modern pocket calculators
    occupied entire floors the size of city blocks.

    It is no surprise that you get "Totally lost" as a result.

    Sweetpea, Dec 5, 2010
  19. William Brown

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 20:33:00 +1300, EMB wrote:

    >> No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally lost..
    >>

    > When did a mainframe engineer develop a VCR?

    The answer, of course, is that he didn't.

    Tape based video recording technology was first demonstrated by Bing
    Crosby Enterprises in the USA in 1951. Ampex "Quadruplex" Video Tape
    Recorders were first used commercially for Television in 1956.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_tape_recorder

    http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ampex-commercial-vtr-1956.html

    Sweetpea, Dec 5, 2010
  20. William Brown

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 05/12/10 17:40, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300,

    >>> The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes
    >>> to DVD.

    >> Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??
    >>

    > What other use would there be?

    Somewhere warm for the cat to lay

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5674 (20101204) __________

    http://www.eset.com