    skip button.

    And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
    time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

    Possible, May 9, 2011

  2. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2011 08:34:09 +1200, Mutlley <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Nym-shifter Possible <> whinged:
    >

    >>I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
    >>being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
    >>like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
    >>
    >> But the Ozzy model can.
    >>
    >>The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
    >>but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
    >>30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
    >>skip button.
    >>

    >>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
    >>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

    >I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
    >Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
    >
    >http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

    Not surprising considering who he works for.

    Donchano, May 10, 2011

  3. Possible

    Guest

    On 10/05/2011 5:24 p.m., whoisthis wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > Mutlley<> wrote:
    >
    >> Possible<> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
    >>> being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
    >>> like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
    >>>
    >>> But the Ozzy model can.
    >>>
    >>> The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
    >>> but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
    >>> 30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
    >>> skip button.
    >>>

    >>> And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
    >>> time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

    >> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
    >> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
    >>
    >> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

    > They are free to broadcast anything they like, however no one is forced
    > to listen. Skipping Ads is no different to going off to make a cuppa, go
    > to the loo, or simply change channels.

    This is a classic example of what happens when a business makes the
    rules, take a look at the TIVO in NZ, no commercial skip (TVNZ's input
    on this one here) But as there is the ability to transfer content off
    the Tivo to other devices freeview have decided that they won't give it
    the tick of approval.

    , May 10, 2011
  4. In article <>, Possible <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
    >time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

    How can it be ? That would be equivalent to 'making you watch something' ...
    obviously not possible. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 11, 2011
  5. Re: Freeview Crap

    In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 May 2011 08:34:09 +1200, Mutlley <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
    >>Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
    >>
    >>http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

    > Not surprising considering who he works for.

    Entitlement mentality FTW!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 11, 2011
  6. In message <4dc906fb$>, B Roberts wrote:

    > I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
    > Recorder as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments
    > of 1 minute. This one has as you suggested, 10 minute increments.
    > Panasonic told me they would not get a Freeview licence unless they
    > increased it to 10 minutes.

    Let me see if I get this straight:

    * Buy a licensed Freeview decoding device — OK.
    * Connect it to an HDD-DVD video recorder which can fast-forward and skip in
    whatever increments I like — OK.

    But

    * Buy an HDD-DVD video recorder with in-built Freeview decoding, which can
    fast-forward and skip in whatever increments I like — NOT OK?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 11, 2011
  7. Possible

    Possible Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2011 20:44:47 +1200, "B Roberts" <>
    wrote:

    >"Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> Possible <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
    >>>being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
    >>>like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
    >>>
    >>> But the Ozzy model can.
    >>>
    >>>The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
    >>>but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
    >>>30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
    >>>skip button.
    >>>

    >>>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
    >>>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

    >> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
    >> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
    >>
    >> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

    >I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
    >Recorder
    >as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1 minute.
    >This one
    >has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they would not
    >get a
    >Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
    >Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I purchased an
    >Ausie remote?

    Even the UK models have these buttons but you do not need a Freeview
    licence at all its a con, UK and OZ don't have these conditions, all
    you need to state that it supports FTA plus this crap about the EPG
    guide as MHEG-5 is unlicensed.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHEG-5

    Plus the limitations of the Twin Tuners that are fitted to the Panasonic
    models, one has to set for Full HD, so that the DMR-XW380 only has 36
    Hours recoding, about these tuner limitations, I cant find any
    references in the manual but many comments about this in the Forums.

    But can you record 2 SD channels at the same time..?

    Possible, May 11, 2011
  8. Possible

    Possible Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:10:23 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <4dc906fb$>, B Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
    >> Recorder as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments
    >> of 1 minute. This one has as you suggested, 10 minute increments.
    >> Panasonic told me they would not get a Freeview licence unless they
    >> increased it to 10 minutes.

    >Let me see if I get this straight:
    >
    >* Buy a licensed Freeview decoding device — OK.
    >* Connect it to an HDD-DVD video recorder which can fast-forward and skip in
    >whatever increments I like — OK.
    >
    >But
    >
    >* Buy an HDD-DVD video recorder with in-built Freeview decoding, which can
    >fast-forward and skip in whatever increments I like — NOT OK?

    No the skip feature of 30sec , 1 min and 10 min's intervals totally
    removes the video the fast-forwards does not.

    Possible, May 11, 2011
  9. Possible

    Possible Guest

    Possible, May 11, 2011
  10. Possible

    Possible Guest

    Ping: B Roberts

    wrote:

    >"Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> Possible <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I managed to get the Ozzy manual for the DMR-XW380, it seems that we are
    >>>being stuffed here, because of some so called Freeview laws here, More
    >>>like TV broadcaster laws, we cant skip Adds
    >>>
    >>> But the Ozzy model can.
    >>>
    >>>The Ozzy model has very similar Freeview and the same EPG Guide MHEG 5
    >>>but they don't have the limitations of skipping adds, the remote has a
    >>>30sec skip and a 1-10 min steps buttons the NZ model only has a 10min
    >>>skip button.
    >>>

    >>>And not dominated what the TV companies want, I think it was stated some
    >>>time back that skipping adds was illegal..?

    >> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
    >> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
    >>
    >> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

    >I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
    >Recorder
    >as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1 minute.
    >This one
    >has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they would not
    >get a
    >Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
    >Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I purchased an
    >Ausie remote?

    I have been reading that you cant set recordings to stop and start at
    the same time, one has to be changed by 1 min, I don't have that problem
    on my old DMR-EH67.

    The Other thing that I am reading is when using 2 Tuners one must be
    Reordered in DR mode, is this correct as I cant find any reference in
    the Dnloaded manual.

    Is it not possible to record 2 SD channels at the same time, but you can
    record 2 in DR mode..

    Thanks

    Possible, May 11, 2011
  11. Possible

    Possible Guest

    Re: Ping: B Roberts

    On Wed, 11 May 2011 23:58:16 +1200, Possible <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 May 2011 20:44:47 +1200, "B Roberts" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Mutlley" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think it was Jamie Kellner is the chairman and CEO of Turner
    >>> Broadcasting, that said ad skipping was theft..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

    >>I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old Panasonic HDD
    >>Recorder
    >>as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1 minute.
    >>This one
    >>has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they would not
    >>get a
    >>Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
    >>Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I purchased an
    >>Ausie remote?

    HELP: I cant see any references how to use the EPG or the Timer when
    using both tuners, the only thing is that you to do is manually, not
    much point for having 2 tuners if you cant use them both.

    Any pages in the manual for this.?

    Thanks

    Possible, May 11, 2011
  12. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs B Roberts wrote:
    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> B Roberts wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have just purchased one of these models to replace my old
    >>> Panasonic HDD Recorder
    >>> as I wanted a HD machine. My old model could skip in increments of 1
    >>> minute. This one
    >>> has as you suggested, 10 minute increments. Panasonic told me they
    >>> would not get a
    >>> Freeview licence unless they increased it to 10 minutes.
    >>> Do you know if this machine will run on 1minute intervals if I
    >>> purchased an Ausie remote?

    >> Nothing to do witht he remote.
    >>
    >> Just push FF a few times and whizz thru the adds.
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>

    > Most adverts go on for 4 minutes at peak times, with my old Panasonic
    > all I had to do was skip the programme for 4 minutes, much, much
    > easier than fast forwarding

    Yep, same with my Panny. Nine times out of ten, if you're ready for it, the
    four-minute skip is perfect.

    However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
    broadcast TV for a couple of years now.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2011
  13. Possible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-05-14, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
    > broadcast TV for a couple of years now.

    You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I find this
    just what all the news is. TV style that is

    Gordon, May 15, 2011
  14. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-05-14, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >>
    >> However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
    >> broadcast TV for a couple of years now.

    > You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I
    > find this just what all the news is. TV style that is

    Thanks for the tip. I need to get some sort of freeview setup going (after
    the failure of the DealExtreme USB dongle, although to be fair that was
    likely down to antenna).

    I'm considering now whether to go terrestrial or satellite and what
    'decoder' to use (and whether the credit card can handle it).

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 16, 2011
  15. On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:10:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    >> On 2011-05-14, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> However, other than the first 10 minutes of 'news' I haven't watched
    >>> broadcast TV for a couple of years now.

    >> You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I
    >> find this just what all the news is. TV style that is

    >Thanks for the tip. I need to get some sort of freeview setup going (after
    >the failure of the DealExtreme USB dongle, although to be fair that was
    >likely down to antenna).
    >
    >I'm considering now whether to go terrestrial or satellite and what
    >'decoder' to use (and whether the credit card can handle it).
    >
    >Cheers,

    Well, terrestial gives the better picture technically, though not
    everything is broadcast in HD.

    Satellite quality is quite acceptable - to my eyes - and can give you
    SBS One & Two from Tasmania, at the moment anyway. I went for
    Ultraplus 700HDMI PVR, which as the name suggests provides HDMI (576i)
    and supports a usb record capability. HD from Aussie also currently
    footprints here - but off course you need an HD recr. Eh .... you also
    need a dish.

    Happy deliberating!

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, May 16, 2011
  16. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2011 11:10:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:

    >>> You might like the 5 min, on the hour news from TVNZ 7. Somehow I
    >>> find this just what all the news is. TV style that is

    >> Thanks for the tip. I need to get some sort of freeview setup going
    >> (after the failure of the DealExtreme USB dongle, although to be
    >> fair that was likely down to antenna).
    >>
    >> I'm considering now whether to go terrestrial or satellite and what
    >> 'decoder' to use (and whether the credit card can handle it).
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Well, terrestial gives the better picture technically, though not
    > everything is broadcast in HD.
    >
    > Satellite quality is quite acceptable - to my eyes - and can give you
    > SBS One & Two from Tasmania, at the moment anyway. I went for
    > Ultraplus 700HDMI PVR, which as the name suggests provides HDMI (576i)
    > and supports a usb record capability. HD from Aussie also currently
    > footprints here - but off course you need an HD recr. Eh .... you also
    > need a dish.
    >
    > Happy deliberating!

    Heh! Yeah. On my budget it's easier to just keep putting it off. My antenna
    is rubbish and I'm told that getting a dish installed is likely cheaper than
    getting a new antenna installed. (The UHF signal is pretty poor here.)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 16, 2011