Freetalk transfering to Vonage!"!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ^^artnada^^, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. ^^artnada^^

    ^^artnada^^ Guest

    I am not happy about this. I have just bought the Freetalk adaptor on 17 Aug
    2006 (13 days ago).

    I have just received an email, saying Freetalk is now going to Vonage
    http://www.vonage.co.uk/freetalk/ (3rd September) and that I have to have a
    new modem (Motorola VT2442 telephone adapter), which is totally free apart
    from the £8.99 p+p!!!! So it's not free then!!!

    I paid £19.99 for the Freetalk adaptor from PCWorld for this service, now
    I'm supposed to pay for another one!

    Yes, I may get the £8.99 "refunded/credited" to my account. But that is not
    the point!

    Also, instead of £6.99 per month, it will now be £7.99 per month, with £1
    "refunded/credited" to my account.

    These Freetalk boxes were still on sale in PCWorld yesterday, and no doubt
    if people buy them today, come a couple of weeks they will have to fork out
    another £8.99 for a new box. What a waste!

    I am off to get a refund for my current box, cus I am not happy about this.
    Buyer beware.
    ^^artnada^^, Aug 30, 2006

  2. ^^artnada^^

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:15:02 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    <> wrote:

    >I am not happy about this. I have just bought the Freetalk adaptor on 17 Aug
    >2006 (13 days ago).

    Having made some enquiries just now anyone on the 12 month service
    will be provided free of charge a vonage ata and existing number will
    be ported to vonage and amount of service remaining with freetalk
    credited to vonage account.
    They will charge you the delivery cost of 8.99 but this will be
    credited back to your card within five days .
    , Aug 30, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:15:02 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am not happy about this. I have just bought the Freetalk adaptor on 17
    >>Aug
    >>2006 (13 days ago).

    > Having made some enquiries just now anyone on the 12 month service
    > will be provided free of charge a vonage ata and existing number will
    > be ported to vonage and amount of service remaining with freetalk
    > credited to vonage account.
    > They will charge you the delivery cost of 8.99 but this will be
    > credited back to your card within five days .

    Yes, but why not just send the box out free instead of messing about with
    credits and debits! The contract has no provision for assignment. Freetalk
    are failing in their contractual requirements to provide service; very
    simple.
    The TERMinator, Aug 31, 2006
  4. ^^artnada^^

    Guest

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:37:18 +0100, "The TERMinator"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:15:02 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am not happy about this. I have just bought the Freetalk adaptor on 17
    >>>Aug
    >>>2006 (13 days ago).

    >> Having made some enquiries just now anyone on the 12 month service
    >> will be provided free of charge a vonage ata and existing number will
    >> be ported to vonage and amount of service remaining with freetalk
    >> credited to vonage account.
    >> They will charge you the delivery cost of 8.99 but this will be
    >> credited back to your card within five days .
    >>

    >Yes, but why not just send the box out free instead of messing about with
    >credits and debits!

    It is the way Vonage do business they are not the only company that
    operate this way I took a graphics card back to Scan computers the
    other day and bought something else while there and they gave me a
    full refund for the card and asked for the credit card to pay for the
    other items.
    > The contract has no provision for assignment. Freetalk
    >are failing in their contractual requirements to provide service; very
    >simple.

    And suppose they had disappeared without trace like quite a few firms
    have done in recent times at least FT have made provision to maintain
    your service with another provider and made sure anyone with a 12
    month package won't loose anything. I personally do not think it right
    that if you have six months to go or whatever and you do not want to
    stay with Vonage at the end they are going to charge you £ 23
    something or other you should just be able to walk away .
    , Aug 31, 2006
  5. ^^artnada^^

    ACDeag Guest

    pretended :
    > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:37:18 +0100, "The TERMinator"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Having made some enquiries just now anyone on the 12 month service
    >>> will be provided free of charge a vonage ata and existing number will
    >>> be ported to vonage and amount of service remaining with freetalk
    >>> credited to vonage account.
    >>> They will charge you the delivery cost of 8.99 but this will be
    >>> credited back to your card within five days .
    >>>

    >> Yes, but why not just send the box out free instead of messing about with
    >> credits and debits!

    > It is the way Vonage do business they are not the only company that
    > operate this way I took a graphics card back to Scan computers the
    > other day and bought something else while there and they gave me a
    > full refund for the card and asked for the credit card to pay for the
    > other items.
    >> The contract has no provision for assignment. Freetalk
    >> are failing in their contractual requirements to provide service; very
    >> simple.

    > And suppose they had disappeared without trace like quite a few firms
    > have done in recent times at least FT have made provision to maintain
    > your service with another provider and made sure anyone with a 12
    > month package won't loose anything. I personally do not think it right
    > that if you have six months to go or whatever and you do not want to
    > stay with Vonage at the end they are going to charge you £ 23
    > something or other you should just be able to walk away .

    According to this you can just cancel your Freetalk and get a refund.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/31/bye_bye_freetalk/

    ACDeag, Aug 31, 2006
  6. ^^artnada^^

    Guest

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:32:56 GMT, ACDeag <>
    wrote:

    >According to this you can just cancel your Freetalk and get a refund.
    >
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/31/bye_bye_freetalk/

    This wasn't what FT's customer service told me when I rang them are
    the rules for the changeover being made on a minute by minute basis
    wouldn't surprise me I never have fully trusted PC World outfit and
    while I am at it here is another big rip-off by the group .

    VECTOR OEM MEDIA 341544 if you go to the currys site and type in
    that code number it will pull up the info for this software and as you
    will see it is priced at 299.99 and for that money you would expect
    all items on the DVD to be fully registered but they are not four of
    the items al least require an additional activation fee of £ 30.00
    EACH .
    A friend of mine got this included in a special software bundle plus a
    lap top carrying case for £ 74.00 with a lap top he bought last week
    but if you or I go in just for the Vector media suite you will be
    charged 299.99 for it plus the additional activation fees when you
    install it what a rip-off.
    , Sep 1, 2006
  7. ^^artnada^^

    Dan Dare Guest

    A, wot's the point of cancelling if you can continue your freetalk
    service at the same price with a better adapter and moer features?! I
    don't get all the negative vibes here! I've tried both (Vonage and
    Freetalk) and theyre basically the same deal. Key for me is that I
    can move my Freetalk phone number to Vonage - good news as I've given
    out that number to a lot of people and I use it on my work cards. what
    else are you going to do - move back to BT?! Pay Skpye for a number
    for your USB phone?! Dan
    :sman
    ---
    External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com
    Dan Dare, Sep 1, 2006
  8. ^^artnada^^

    ACDeag Guest

    Dan Dare pretended :
    > A, wot's the point of cancelling if you can continue your freetalk
    > service at the same price with a better adapter and moer features?! I
    > don't get all the negative vibes here! I've tried both (Vonage and
    > Freetalk) and theyre basically the same deal. Key for me is that I
    > can move my Freetalk phone number to Vonage - good news as I've given
    > out that number to a lot of people and I use it on my work cards. what
    > else are you going to do - move back to BT?! Pay Skpye for a number
    > for your USB phone?! Dan
    >> sman

    > ---
    > External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

    I think the main point is that when you want to leave Vonage they will
    charge you £23.99.
    ACDeag, Sep 1, 2006
  9. ^^artnada^^

    Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:00:10 -0000,
    -dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Dan Dare) wrote:

    >A, wot's the point of cancelling if you can continue your freetalk
    >service at the same price with a better adapter and moer features?! I
    >don't get all the negative vibes here!

    There where lots of negative vibes here regarding Vonage some ago
    mainly from the cheapskates here who think they should get a good
    service for next to nothing . The Motorola from Vonage is a very good
    piece of kit and well worth the £ 0.0p it cost to obtain and Vonage
    will take back unlike Freetalk who charge you for the ATA which is
    totally useless once you leave the service and needs to go in the bin
    ..
    >I've tried both (Vonage and
    >Freetalk) and theyre basically the same deal. Key for me is that I
    >can move my Freetalk phone number to Vonage

    The only reason I left Vonage in the first place and joined FT was
    that at the time they where charging 9.99 a month which was a little
    expensive for my needs has I had no need for all the frills that
    Vonage offered , had Vonage dropped the price two weeks earlier than
    they did I would never have left .
    , Sep 1, 2006
  10. ^^artnada^^

    Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:53:40 GMT, ACDeag <>
    wrote:

    >Dan Dare pretended :
    >> A, wot's the point of cancelling if you can continue your freetalk
    >> service at the same price with a better adapter and moer features?! I
    >> don't get all the negative vibes here! I've tried both (Vonage and
    >> Freetalk) and theyre basically the same deal. Key for me is that I
    >> can move my Freetalk phone number to Vonage - good news as I've given
    >> out that number to a lot of people and I use it on my work cards. what
    >> else are you going to do - move back to BT?! Pay Skpye for a number
    >> for your USB phone?! Dan
    >>> sman

    >> ---
    >> External Post from http://ukvoiptalk.com

    >I think the main point is that when you want to leave Vonage they will
    >charge you £23.99.

    Not if you stay the full 12 months they won't, if you get a line
    installed by BT and don't stay the course they will charge you the
    full price of over £ 100 for the full 12 months .
    , Sep 1, 2006
  11. ^^artnada^^

    Jono Guest

    pretended :

    >> I think the main point is that when you want to leave Vonage they will
    >> charge you £23.99.

    > Not if you stay the full 12 months they won't, if you get a line
    > installed by BT and don't stay the course they will charge you the
    > full price of over £ 100 for the full 12 months .

    Not quite.

    You'll have already paid the £100+ installation fee before leaving,
    normally - this is very good value for money, considering what can
    often be involved installing a new line. If you leave within 9 months,
    there's an additional charge of £18.00

    However, if you are merely activating a line that's already been
    installed, there is no fee & a minimum term of only 3 months. If you
    leave within those 3 months, I think the payment is c. £9.00
    Jono, Sep 1, 2006