Freetalk setup help

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave, May 30, 2006.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've been using Freetalk for a few months now. Currently I have a
    cable modem with a 4meg connection, connected to that is a Netgear
    router and connected to the Netgear are 3 PCs, a Playstation 2 and my
    freetalk box.

    It has all been working fine, although I have noticed that when the
    internet is being heavily used (p2p, large downloads, gaming, etc) the
    quality of the voip drops a little (nothing too serious), obviously
    this is to be expected.

    Reading through the Freetalk adapter instruction manual I came across
    this:

    "We strongly recommend that you connect your SVA-600 directly to your
    broadband modem and connect your switch, router or access point to the
    LAN port of your phone (SVA-600). The SVA-600 performs essential
    Quality Of Service (QoS) function that allow for superior voice
    quality; placing any other device between the SVA-600 and your
    broadband modem, the trafic on your local area network may reduce the
    quality of your VoIP phone calls."

    So should I connect the Freetalk box between the cable modem and the
    router? Will this cause any problems with the PCs being double NAT'd?
    I don't run any servers at all, although I am concerned it may
    interfere with things like p2p, MSN messenger video chat, etc. The PS2
    games require port forwarding to be set up to work properly.

    I've had a look at the Freetalk box's interface and it seems pretty
    simple to configure. Would it be best to place my router in the
    freetalk box's DMZ?

    Or should I forget it and leave it the way it is?

    Thanks
    Dave, May 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dave

    Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:13:32 GMT, Dave <> wrote:


    >Or should I forget it and leave it the way it is?

    If you are happy with the way it is why change we have our two FT
    boxes connected direct into two ports on our 8 port router and have
    no problems with anything .
    , May 30, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:23:06 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:13:32 GMT, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Or should I forget it and leave it the way it is?

    >If you are happy with the way it is why change we have our two FT
    >boxes connected direct into two ports on our 8 port router and have
    >no problems with anything .


    Don't get me wrong, I am happy with it the way that it is, but I like
    to "fine tune" stuff. OK so i like to tinker with stuff :)

    It does work fine the way that it is but I like to think that if there
    is any way the perfomance can be improved I should be doing it.

    The only prablem with it is that if the internet connection breaks, it
    is one more thing to have to troubleshoot.
    Dave, May 30, 2006
    #3
  4. Dave

    Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:39:44 GMT, Dave <> wrote:

    >Don't get me wrong, I am happy with it the way that it is, but I like
    >to "fine tune" stuff. OK so i like to tinker with stuff :)

    I had guessed you where a little tinker Dave :)) I work on the
    principal of "if it is working ok why fix it" !! .
    >It does work fine the way that it is but I like to think that if there
    >is any way the perfomance can be improved I should be doing it.

    How can performance be improved if you are liking what you are
    hearing ?? .
    >The only prablem with it is that if the internet connection breaks, it
    >is one more thing to have to troubleshoot.

    Exactly so why mess around and make yourself more work but I suppose
    that is what all tinkers have to do :))))) .
    Our FT accounts are being closed once we get to the end of the 12
    months pre paid service because they will not allow you to sign up for
    another 12 months and you have pay on a month by month basis .
    , May 30, 2006
    #4
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 13:27:31 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:39:44 GMT, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >>Don't get me wrong, I am happy with it the way that it is, but I like
    >>to "fine tune" stuff. OK so i like to tinker with stuff :)

    >I had guessed you where a little tinker Dave :)) I work on the
    >principal of "if it is working ok why fix it" !! .
    >>It does work fine the way that it is but I like to think that if there
    >>is any way the perfomance can be improved I should be doing it.

    >How can performance be improved if you are liking what you are
    >hearing ?? .
    >>The only prablem with it is that if the internet connection breaks, it
    >>is one more thing to have to troubleshoot.

    >Exactly so why mess around and make yourself more work but I suppose
    >that is what all tinkers have to do :))))) .
    >Our FT accounts are being closed once we get to the end of the 12
    >months pre paid service because they will not allow you to sign up for
    >another 12 months and you have pay on a month by month basis .


    I suppose I should just leave it the way it is, I was just worried
    that if I ever maxed out my connection the call quality may suffer,
    that's all.

    I pay monthly anyway so the paying yearly is not really an issue to
    me. It's still way cheaper than a BT line.
    Dave, May 30, 2006
    #5
  6. Dave

    Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:01:52 GMT, Dave <> wrote:

    >I pay monthly anyway so the paying yearly is not really an issue to
    >me. It's still way cheaper than a BT line.

    Without a doubt Dave and if you only need/want one line great but if
    like me you just loved phones and phone lines many FT lines work out
    expensive. We have no less than eight independent lines in here sorry
    I lost count nine lines not eight :))) and also feel the same about
    old cars ( 4 at the moment )there is only so much money one can spend
    on hobbies :)))) . Mind you what I save on the cost of tobacco in a
    year by going to Belgium for it ( reason for returning to rail travel)
    runs the cars for me with a little to spare.
    , May 30, 2006
    #6
  7. Recently, Dave popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    |I've been using Freetalk for a few months now. Currently I have a
    |cable modem with a 4meg connection, connected to that is a Netgear
    |router and connected to the Netgear are 3 PCs, a Playstation 2 and my
    |freetalk box.
    |
    |It has all been working fine, although I have noticed that when the
    |internet is being heavily used (p2p, large downloads, gaming, etc) the
    |quality of the voip drops a little (nothing too serious), obviously
    |this is to be expected.
    |
    |Reading through the Freetalk adapter instruction manual I came across
    |this:
    |
    |"We strongly recommend that you connect your SVA-600 directly to your
    |broadband modem and connect your switch, router or access point to the
    |LAN port of your phone (SVA-600). The SVA-600 performs essential
    |Quality Of Service (QoS) function that allow for superior voice
    |quality; placing any other device between the SVA-600 and your
    |broadband modem, the trafic on your local area network may reduce the
    |quality of your VoIP phone calls."
    |
    |So should I connect the Freetalk box between the cable modem and the
    |router? Will this cause any problems with the PCs being double NAT'd?
    |I don't run any servers at all, although I am concerned it may
    |interfere with things like p2p, MSN messenger video chat, etc. The PS2
    |games require port forwarding to be set up to work properly.
    |
    |I've had a look at the Freetalk box's interface and it seems pretty
    |simple to configure. Would it be best to place my router in the
    |freetalk box's DMZ?
    |
    |Or should I forget it and leave it the way it is?
    |
    |Thanks
    |
    If your router can be set to obey QOS parameters and priorities, leave
    it as it is.
    The suggested setup in the Freetalk manual is for dumb users who don't
    know how to setup a router, so Freetalk customer service does not have
    to deal with complaints about poor service quality.
    Yes, if you set it up as they suggest the VoIP calls will be prioritized
    but - as you already spotted out - the rest of the network can be
    affected by lags, and some applications will suffer - or stop working at
    all - with multiple NAT and/or PAT.
    If it ain't broken... ;-)

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid
    ßødincµs²°°°, May 31, 2006
    #7
  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:00:31 GMT, ßødincµs²°°° <>
    wrote:

    >Recently, Dave popped out over the fence
    >around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    >|I've been using Freetalk for a few months now. Currently I have a
    >|cable modem with a 4meg connection, connected to that is a Netgear
    >|router and connected to the Netgear are 3 PCs, a Playstation 2 and my
    >|freetalk box.
    >|


    >|
    >|Thanks
    >|
    >If your router can be set to obey QOS parameters and priorities, leave
    >it as it is.
    >The suggested setup in the Freetalk manual is for dumb users who don't
    >know how to setup a router, so Freetalk customer service does not have
    >to deal with complaints about poor service quality.
    >Yes, if you set it up as they suggest the VoIP calls will be prioritized
    >but - as you already spotted out - the rest of the network can be
    >affected by lags, and some applications will suffer - or stop working at
    >all - with multiple NAT and/or PAT.
    >If it ain't broken... ;-)


    That's the thing, my router doesn't support QoS at all. Although, I
    think if 2 devices try to access the net at the same time they are
    given an equal chance.

    For test purposes, last night I maxed out my downstream connection
    and made a call at the same time and the call quality was still good.

    However, when I went into the interface for the freetalk box and had a
    look at the stats for the test call the jitter rate was a lot higher..

    Call with no other devices turned on:
    Jitter average: 3 ms
    Jitter maximum: 34 ms

    Test call with download maxed out:
    Jitter average: 12 ms
    Jitter maximum: 101 ms

    To be honest, the quality was still good and I didn't really notice a
    difference. Not sure how it would be if the upstream was maxed out
    too, but this will rarely happen so I think I'll leave it alone for
    the time being.
    Dave, May 31, 2006
    #8
  9. Dave

    Wilson_G

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Texas
    Ned help with my NETGEAR router to setup FREETALK

    I see someone use the NETGEAR ROUTER and I need help to fidn out why I can not see the FREETALK icon when I go to My Network Places.

    My router is modelWGR614 v7 and I set it up with the CD rm that came with it.

    I am really a beginner with Routers and cannot figure out why as pr the instruction on: http://www.freetalkconnect.com/installguide/index.html#frame15-winXP I cannot not get step .

    I am doing aomething that cannot be done because my Time Warner moddm has only one port and that goes to the NETGEAR Router and my FreeTalk is connected to the router?
    Please help, Wilson
    Wilson_G, Oct 12, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrew

    freetalk from Dixons

    Andrew, Sep 26, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    892
  2. Adam Aglionby

    Dixons Freetalk launches with a whisper

    Adam Aglionby, Sep 28, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    1,587
  3. Andrew

    freetalk

    Andrew, Sep 29, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,035
  4. Jeni brown

    Freetalk HELP

    Jeni brown, Jan 20, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,313
  5. brit-dub
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    613
    brit-dub
    Sep 12, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page