    Sometimes, when I successfully log into Freeserve, my connection
    cannot resolve any DNS addresses or therefore download anything at
    all. Does anyone know why this might happen?

    A. J. Moss, Feb 23, 2004

  2. A. J. Moss

    Brian H¹© Guest

    A. J. Moss said:

    > Sometimes, when I successfully log into Freeserve, my connection
    > cannot resolve any DNS addresses or therefore download anything at
    > all. Does anyone know why this might happen?

    Have you thought about asking freeserve?

    Brian H¹©, Feb 23, 2004

  3. A. J. Moss

    °Mike° Guest

    Wow, that's a lot of information, isn't it?

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:14:30 +0000, in
    <>
    A. J. Moss scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 23, 2004
  4. A. J. Moss

    A. J. Moss Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    >Wow, that's a lot of information, isn't it?

    Well, it connects, then it doesn't work. It can't download any e-mails
    or usenet posts, and web sites all report a DNS error.

    What else can I say about it? If I knew why it was happening, I could
    diagnose and fix the fault myself.

    A. J. Moss, Feb 23, 2004
  5. A. J. Moss

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:43:34 +0000, in
    <>
    A. J. Moss scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >>Wow, that's a lot of information, isn't it?

    >Well, it connects, then it doesn't work. It can't download any e-mails
    >or usenet posts, and web sites all report a DNS error.
    >
    >What else can I say about it? If I knew why it was happening, I could
    >diagnose and fix the fault myself.

    Still no system information.
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 23, 2004
  6. A. J. Moss wrote:
    :: Sometimes, when I successfully log into Freeserve, my connection
    :: cannot resolve any DNS addresses or therefore download anything at
    :: all. Does anyone know why this might happen?

    I assume that this is dialup?

    I assume it used to work and has now working intermittently?

    Lots of things it could be.

    It could be your modem or your phone line. The login handshake is not very
    demanding and it could simply be that you are on the noise threshold. Good
    enough to make the initial connection but not good enough to handle the
    following data stream. You could try forcing it to a lower baud rate and see
    if that inproves things.

    It could be freeserve. The freeserve system you link to might be too
    overloaded to handle you. It manages to establish the connection but not the
    greater effort of setting up the rest. You could complain...

    ---

    eric the seal, Feb 23, 2004