Freeing more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bun Mui, May 22, 2004.

  1. Bun Mui

    Bun Mui Guest

    I have a Compaq Presario S4000NX with Xp Home Edition installed on it.

    I wish to free more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX.
    There is always very frequently a message saying it trying to increase it.
    What can I do to increase the memory?

    It seems that a lot of microsoft applications are running in
    Services in system configuration Utility using up all the virtual
    memory. When I click on some programs it sometimes don't even display.
    Kind of like half invisible.

    Could I get rid of some below by unchecking them?
    If so which ones should I uncheck? Which are useful and which are not?

    Services in system configuration Utility

    1. Alerter
    2. Application Layer Gateway Service
    3. Application Management
    4. Computer Browser
    5. Symantec Event Manager
    6. COM+ system application
    7. Cryptographic services
    8. DHCP Client
    9. DNS Client
    10. Error Reporting Service
    11. Event Log
    12. Com+ Event System
    13. Fast User Switching Compatibility
    14. Help and Support
    15. Server
    16. Workstation
    17. TCP/IP NetBios Helper
    18. Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    19. Netowork Connections
    20. Network Location Awareness
    21. Plug and Play
    22. IPSEC Services
    23. Protected Storage
    24. Remote Access Connection Manager
    25. Remote Procedure Call
    26. Security Accounts Manager
    27. Secondary logon
    28. System Event Notification
    29. Shell Hardware Detection
    30. Print Spooler
    31. SSDP Discovery Service
    32. Telephony
    33. Terminal Services
    34. Distributed Link Tracking Client
    35. Upload Manager
    36. WebClient
    37. Windows Management Instrumentation
    38. Wirless Zero Configuration

    Thanks in advance.

    Bun Mui
    Bun Mui, May 22, 2004

  2. Bun Mui

    Trent SC Guest

    Read this for a useful guide to getting more out of your virtual memory:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp

    Trent SC, May 22, 2004

  3. Bun Mui

    Unk Guest

    On 22 May 2004 11:09:23 -0700, (Bun Mui) wrote:

    >I have a Compaq Presario S4000NX with Xp Home Edition installed on it.
    >
    >I wish to free more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX.
    >There is always very frequently a message saying it trying to increase it.
    >What can I do to increase the memory?
    >
    >It seems that a lot of microsoft applications are running in
    >Services in system configuration Utility using up all the virtual
    >memory. When I click on some programs it sometimes don't even display.
    >Kind of like half invisible.
    >
    >Could I get rid of some below by unchecking them?
    >If so which ones should I uncheck? Which are useful and which are not?
    >
    >Services in system configuration Utility
    >
    >1. Alerter
    >2. Application Layer Gateway Service
    >3. Application Management
    >4. Computer Browser
    >5. Symantec Event Manager
    >6. COM+ system application
    >7. Cryptographic services
    >8. DHCP Client
    >9. DNS Client
    >10. Error Reporting Service
    >11. Event Log
    >12. Com+ Event System
    >13. Fast User Switching Compatibility
    >14. Help and Support
    >15. Server
    >16. Workstation
    >17. TCP/IP NetBios Helper
    >18. Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    >19. Netowork Connections
    >20. Network Location Awareness
    >21. Plug and Play
    >22. IPSEC Services
    >23. Protected Storage
    >24. Remote Access Connection Manager
    >25. Remote Procedure Call
    >26. Security Accounts Manager
    >27. Secondary logon
    >28. System Event Notification
    >29. Shell Hardware Detection
    >30. Print Spooler
    >31. SSDP Discovery Service
    >32. Telephony
    >33. Terminal Services
    >34. Distributed Link Tracking Client
    >35. Upload Manager
    >36. WebClient
    >37. Windows Management Instrumentation
    >38. Wirless Zero Configuration
    >

    >Thanks in advance.
    >

    >Bun Mui

    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    Unk, May 22, 2004