    sufficient time (seven months) for the vendor, NXP, to take remedial action
    etc.

    Of course, NXP doesn't agree.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-07-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Looks like those Dutch researchers who found a weakness in London
    > Transport's Oyster Card system will be free to publish the details
    ><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080718-court-rules-smartcard-hackers-can-publish-exploit-data.html>.
    > They've followed all the right procedures for responsible disclosure, given
    > sufficient time (seven months) for the vendor, NXP, to take remedial action
    > etc.
    >
    > Of course, NXP doesn't agree.

    Oh goodie, it can be done. It has been done. Lets see if we can beat the
    October dealine. Will someone do it, and will they tell you just be in free?

    A really good security system shows everyone how it works and still keeps
    certain people out. This is another head in the sand approach that MS, has
    had for some years now while exploits in its software have been found and
    used for vandalism.

    Gordon, Jul 19, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 19, 8:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Looks like those Dutch researchers who found a weakness in London
    > Transport's Oyster Card system will be free to publish the details
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080718-court-rules-smartcard-h...>.
    > They've followed all the right procedures for responsible disclosure, given
    > sufficient time (seven months) for the vendor, NXP, to take remedial action
    > etc.
    >
    > Of course, NXP doesn't agree.

    This could be 'close to home' with the impending rollout of the
    'Snapper' card in Wellington if it uses NXP.

    Incidentally Snapper should have rolled out last Monday but this seems
    to have been deferred sine die. AFAIK no comment has been forthcoming
    as to the nature of the glitch or a new rollout date.

    peterwn, Jul 19, 2008