Freedom do we know what is any more?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Now this is properly the wrong group to discuss this but as I was
    reading the flame war "For the Linux fans here..." and at the same time
    listening to my kids talking to each other. My 3 going on to 4 in a
    weeks time said "I like Santas" "can Santas Come to my birthday". My
    Daughter Is Freer than all of us put together as she thought about what
    she wanted and actually said so. No thought about any rules that could
    be broken whether written or folk. On face value not much there but the
    question is why?

    Now the current Government Takes my TAX and then tells me what to do
    like the anti smacking bill, they are even telling me how to spend my
    money and save it. When I bought my computer I bought it in parts some
    places said I had to buy an Os at the same time (I already had One) they
    did not get my business this machine has had many OS'es on it. Some
    times the choice was considered some time It was what the hell lets try it.

    A nephew in law bought a second hand laptop, and he does not really know
    how to use it at his home he does not have a internet connection that he
    knows how to use (clueless) so he was not on the net in any shape or
    form the OS told him Virus was out of date and he had to sine up to MSN
    he wa in a panic HE HAD TO CONNECT TO THE NET TO DO THESE THINGS now!
    From my point of view If he is not on the net and not file sharing he
    is safe. He thought he must Always keep things up to date. Is He FREE?

    Now I put on my fire proof clothing....

    Robert Cooze, Jun 24, 2007

  2. Robert Cooze

    impossible Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message

    <Snip unfathomable stream of consciousness>

    > A nephew in law bought a second hand laptop, and he does not really know
    > how to use it at his home he does not have a internet connection that he
    > knows how to use (clueless) so he was not on the net in any shape or form
    > the OS told him Virus was out of date and he had to sine up to MSN he wa
    > in a panic HE HAD TO CONNECT TO THE NET TO DO THESE THINGS now! From my
    > point of view If he is not on the net and not file sharing he is safe. He
    > thought he must Always keep things up to date. Is He FREE?

    Hopefully not. With a case of literal-mindedness that bad, your nephew could
    really hurt himself.
    impossible, Jun 24, 2007

  3. In message <467ec49a$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Now the current Government Takes my TAX and then tells me what to do
    > like the anti smacking bill...

    That bill was passed by a bunch of politicians, all of whom got their power
    because people like you and I voted for them.

    This is MMP, and marginal seats don't matter as much as they used to. That
    means your vote is worth as much as mine. (This wasn't always true--I live
    in Hamilton, which has been marginal for a long time, which meant my vote
    used to be worth more than those in most other parts of the country.)

    In other words, if you want lower taxes, why don't you vote for the party
    that seems to stand most strongly for that--namely ACT? Yet that party
    seems to be circling the plughole, judging from recent polls. Could it be
    this country as a whole doesn't really favour overly right-wing policies?

    > ... they are even telling me how to spend my money and save it.

    Kiwis traditionally have a very poor savings record. They seem to be quite
    happy to go into debt up to their eyebrows, paying exorbitant credit-card
    interest rates. Tell me why I should have sympathy for such people.

    > When I bought my computer I bought it in parts some
    > places said I had to buy an Os at the same time (I already had One) they
    > did not get my business this machine has had many OS'es on it.

    And certain groups would like to get governments to mandate that you _must_
    buy certain proprietary items of software when you buy your hardware. This
    is the kind of thing that must be fought.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 24, 2007
  4. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >
    > <Snip unfathomable stream of consciousness>
    >> A nephew in law bought a second hand laptop, and he does not really know
    >> how to use it at his home he does not have a internet connection that he
    >> knows how to use (clueless) so he was not on the net in any shape or form
    >> the OS told him Virus was out of date and he had to sine up to MSN he wa
    >> in a panic HE HAD TO CONNECT TO THE NET TO DO THESE THINGS now! From my
    >> point of view If he is not on the net and not file sharing he is safe. He
    >> thought he must Always keep things up to date. Is He FREE?
    >>

    > Hopefully not. With a case of literal-mindedness that bad, your nephew could
    > really hurt himself.

    Yes I agree For some reason unknown to my self he never did well in
    school but he thinks he is smart (in my day he would have been in home
    stream). he is young and seems to keep his money and not spend it he may
    become successful with out himself knowing it.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 25, 2007
  5. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <467ec49a$>, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Now the current Government Takes my TAX and then tells me what to do
    >> like the anti smacking bill...

    > That bill was passed by a bunch of politicians, all of whom got their power
    > because people like you and I voted for them.

    Now I did not vote for the greens and certainly not Labour Yes I did
    vote but I know how the system is supposed to work and how the
    politicians have crouppeted the way things work.

    > This is MMP, and marginal seats don't matter as much as they used to. That
    > means your vote is worth as much as mine. (This wasn't always true--I live
    > in Hamilton, which has been marginal for a long time, which meant my vote
    > used to be worth more than those in most other parts of the country.)

    I like the way MMP has enabled the lesser partys to get a say but the
    lesser partys are wagging the dog so to say because Hellen and her bunch
    have decided to try to stick to power no matter what.

    > In other words, if you want lower taxes, why don't you vote for the party
    > that seems to stand most strongly for that--namely ACT? Yet that party
    > seems to be circling the plughole, judging from recent polls. Could it be
    > this country as a whole doesn't really favour overly right-wing policies?
    >
    >> ... they are even telling me how to spend my money and save it.

    > Kiwis traditionally have a very poor savings record. They seem to be quite
    > happy to go into debt up to their eyebrows, paying exorbitant credit-card
    > interest rates. Tell me why I should have sympathy for such people.

    I as a young boy learnt put away 10% as savings and 10% to the church
    and live on the rest I do not have credit cards nor HP's but at the time
    being I can not use the 20% for saving and charity My wife stays at home
    to look after the children!

    >> When I bought my computer I bought it in parts some
    >> places said I had to buy an Os at the same time (I already had One) they
    >> did not get my business this machine has had many OS'es on it.

    > And certain groups would like to get governments to mandate that you _must_
    > buy certain proprietary items of software when you buy your hardware. This
    > is the kind of thing that must be fought.

    Aint that true but is it also a conspiracies theory As my machine is so
    old and I haven't bought anything for it in a long time do I have to buy
    the software any way? but I wont install it he he he.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 25, 2007
  6. In message <46801bd1$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > I like the way MMP has enabled the lesser partys to get a say but the
    > lesser partys are wagging the dog so to say because Hellen and her bunch
    > have decided to try to stick to power no matter what.

    The lesser parties get their way some of the time. But I don't think it's
    disproportionate if you add it all up. The big parties still dominate, but
    it's in proportion, whereas in the old system it was all or nothing.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 26, 2007