FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MJP, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. MJP

    MJP Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message
    news:2jTYf.15436$...
    > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels on
    > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even though
    > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    > its
    > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas how
    > get a signal?.....................Jean

    Needs decent aerial

    MJP
    MJP, Apr 5, 2006

  2. MJP

    Jean Guest

    I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels on
    my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even though
    freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know its
    not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas how to
    get a signal?.....................Jean
    Jean, Apr 5, 2006

  3. MJP

    Jean Guest

    "MJP" <> wrote in message

    > "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels

    on
    > > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even

    though
    > > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    > > its
    > > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas

    how
    > > get a signal?.....................Jean

    > Needs decent aerial
    >
    > MJP

    How decent?
    Jean, Apr 5, 2006
  4. MJP

    MJP Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message

    > "MJP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jean" <> wrote in message
    >> > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels

    > on
    >> > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even

    > though
    >> > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    >> > its
    >> > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas

    > how
    >> > get a signal?.....................Jean

    >> Needs decent aerial
    >>
    >> MJP
    >>

    > How decent?

    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h824.htm

    The throw-out aerial provided is small and only really useful where you have
    a strong TV signal. In other locations, you should try to plug in a standard
    coaxial feed from a roof-mounted antenna; an adapter is supplied. This may
    restrict the places you can use the Stick when you're on the move, but it's
    still a very useful solution for anybody who wants a second TV in a study or
    home office.

    http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/prl_14810026/100066613.html

    Cons : Poor reception, supplied aerial is useless !
    Just got one of these for my daughter who is at Uni for use with her laptop
    I honestly don't know why the aerial attachment is supplied, as I have been
    unable to get any reception whatsoever, whether indoors or outdoors.

    The small print say that this product should be used in conjunction with a
    roof aerial to ensure the best reception, which makes a nonsence of the
    blurb which states:
    "You will be amazed how such a small stick allows you to access free digital
    TV and radio signals including teletext wherever you are"

    Not Recommended
    MJP, Apr 5, 2006
  5. MJP

    Peaches Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels on
    > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even though
    > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    > its
    > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas how
    > get a signal?.....................Jean

    Exactly what is not functioning?
    Have you scanned for channels?
    You will have received an onscreen
    message after scanning that:
    "No signal"?
    "Multiplex not found"?
    Etc etc.
    Peaches, Apr 5, 2006
  6. MJP

    Jean Guest

    "Peaches" <> wrote in message

    > "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels

    on
    > > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even

    though
    > > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    > > its
    > > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas

    how
    > > get a signal?.....................Jean
    > >

    > Exactly what is not functioning?
    > Have you scanned for channels?
    > You will have received an onscreen
    > message after scanning that:
    > "No signal"?
    > "Multiplex not found"?
    > Etc etc.

    I can get the screen up ok but in the bottom right corner it says no
    signal. I've tried scanning but no channels come up!
    Jean, Apr 5, 2006
  7. MJP

    Peaches Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message

    > "Peaches" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jean" <> wrote in message
    >> > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels

    > on
    >> > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even

    > though
    >> > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    >> > its
    >> > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas

    > how
    >> > get a signal?.....................Jean
    >> >

    >> Exactly what is not functioning?
    >> Have you scanned for channels?
    >> You will have received an onscreen
    >> message after scanning that:
    >> "No signal"?
    >> "Multiplex not found"?
    >> Etc etc.
    >>

    > I can get the screen up ok but in the bottom right corner it says no
    > signal. I've tried scanning but no channels come up!

    Then it is a reception problem or possibly a fault?
    Assuming you have a freeview STB attached to TV
    and can receive broadcasts? If so try attaching that
    (rooftop?) aerial to the freeview stick.
    Peaches, Apr 5, 2006
  8. MJP

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Jean" <> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a FREECOM DVB-T USB STICK to receive freeview channels on
    > my pc. I've tried everything to get a signal but still nothing even though
    > freeview is available in my area. Everything has installed ok so I know
    > its
    > not that. Does anyone know anything about these gadgets and any ideas how
    > get a signal?.....................Jean

    Hows the antennae connection?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 6, 2006
  9. MJP

    David Guest

    "Peaches" <> wrote in message

    > "Jean" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peaches" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jean" <> wrote in message

    >> on

    >> though

    >> how
    >>> >

    >>> Exactly what is not functioning?
    >>> Have you scanned for channels?
    >>> You will have received an onscreen
    >>> message after scanning that:
    >>> "No signal"?
    >>> "Multiplex not found"?
    >>> Etc etc.
    >>>

    >> I can get the screen up ok but in the bottom right corner it says no
    >> signal. I've tried scanning but no channels come up!
    >>

    > Then it is a reception problem or possibly a fault?
    > Assuming you have a freeview STB attached to TV
    > and can receive broadcasts? If so try attaching that
    > (rooftop?) aerial to the freeview stick.

    They work fine with a good signal from a rooftop aerial. That's all you can
    say. They're not very sensitive and you'd have to be sitting next to a
    transmitter to get anything through
    David, Apr 6, 2006