    Plugged my new FREECOM 80GB drive into my pc and checked how much of the
    80GB was really going to be available for my use... its 111GB! Where did
    the extea 21GB come from? The LED display on the drive says 80GB.

    podger, Jan 12, 2008

  2. podger

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:03:55 -0000, "podger"
    <> wrote:

    >Plugged my new FREECOM 80GB drive into my pc and checked how much of the
    >80GB was really going to be available for my use... its 111GB! Where did
    >the extea 21GB come from? The LED display on the drive says 80GB.

    What operating system, and what EXACTLY does it say?

    Evan Platt, Jan 12, 2008

  3. podger

    chuckcar Guest

    "podger" <> wrote in

    > Plugged my new FREECOM 80GB drive into my pc and checked how much of
    > the 80GB was really going to be available for my use... its 111GB!
    > Where did the extea 21GB come from? The LED display on the drive
    > says 80GB.

    First 1GB does not equal 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. 1KB=1024 bytes,
    1MB=1024 KB, 1GB=1024MG giving 1GB=1,073,741,824 bytes. This is a 7.4%
    difference. Now how many *bytes* do both say?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 12, 2008
  4. podger

    podger Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message >
    > What operating system, and what EXACTLY does it say?
    > --

    XP, and the "FREE SPACE"on the drive is 111GB. The drive is supposed to be
    80GB. 111KB is the "USED SPACE" on the drive.

    podger, Jan 12, 2008
  5. podger

    Guest

    "podger" <> wrote:

    >Plugged my new FREECOM 80GB drive into my pc and checked how much of the
    >80GB was really going to be available for my use... its 111GB! Where did
    >the extea 21GB come from? The LED display on the drive says 80GB.

    I've heard of this before. It happens when you run hard drive
    compression software.

    If you are:
    the 111GB is the potential hard drive space you have, this is more
    accurate if all you store are text files, .JPG's throw it all off :)
    trust the LED

    If you aren't, it's something else.

    --

    Lady in the Water: 1947
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/786?size=_original

    , Jan 13, 2008
  6. podger

    podger Guest

    <> wrote in message >
    > If you are:
    > the 111GB is the potential hard drive space you have, this is more
    > accurate if all you store are text files, .JPG's throw it all off :)
    > trust the LED
    >
    > If you aren't, it's something else.

    The drive is straight out of the packaging. Not runnning any compression
    software as far as I am aware. Three other drives which are 40Gb or 60Gb
    read what I would expect them to read.

    I did note in the packaging that there was a cd that contained optional
    software that I could put on the drive, I chose not to as I don't want to
    waste space, is it possible that the manufacturer assumes that I will
    install it, therby losing about 20GB in the process, so have kindly given me
    the extra GB?

    podger, Jan 13, 2008
  7. podger

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:20:14 -0000, "podger"
    <> wrote:

    >I did note in the packaging that there was a cd that contained optional
    >software that I could put on the drive, I chose not to as I don't want to
    >waste space, is it possible that the manufacturer assumes that I will
    >install it, therby losing about 20GB in the process, so have kindly given me
    >the extra GB?

    Not likely. 20 GB? That's 5 DVD's.

    Evan Platt, Jan 14, 2008
  8. podger

    Guest

    "podger" <> wrote:

    >I did note in the packaging that there was a cd that contained optional
    >software that I could put on the drive, I chose not to as I don't want to
    >waste space, is it possible that the manufacturer assumes that I will
    >install it, therby losing about 20GB in the process, so have kindly given me
    >the extra GB?

    No.

    --

    Untangle
    http://www.nonoba.com/chris/untangle

    , Jan 14, 2008
  9. podger

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "podger" <> wrote in message
    > Plugged my new FREECOM 80GB drive into my pc and checked how much of the
    > 80GB was really going to be available for my use... its 111GB! Where did
    > the extea 21GB come from? The LED display on the drive says 80GB.

    I've recently seen ads where drives were being sold with "a bonus of
    10-gb"--i.e., like actually a 50-gig where you were 'buying' a 40-gig.
    Seems Staples had one by Maxtor, all written on the box. s

    sdlomi2, Jan 14, 2008
  10. podger

    ded Guest

    "podger" <> wrote in message
    > Plugged my new FREECOM 80GB drive into my pc and checked how much of the
    > 80GB was really going to be available for my use... its 111GB! Where did
    > the extea 21GB come from? The LED display on the drive says 80GB.

    I think the innards of your freecom external has a 120gb drive
    they've just labelled it up wrong on the production line maybe?
    But then you may not be too accurate in your reporting, the difference
    between 80 and 111 is 31, not 21. But in another post in this thread
    you report it as: "111KB is the "USED SPACE" on the drive".
    I think it may all be in your imagination.

    ded, Jan 16, 2008