    Any other Freecall users on here? what do you think of the service? What
    would you like to see added to the service?

    Bob
    bob garbutt, Jun 11, 2006

  2. bob garbutt

    Bastard Guest

    Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a service such as
    this? What does the box do that my computer couldn't if they gave me the
    right software?

    Thanks

    Bastard, Jun 11, 2006

  3. bob garbutt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Bastard" <> wrote in
    message news:448c1b8d$
    > Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
    > service such as this? What does the box do that my computer couldn't if
    > they gave me the right software?

    Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not everyone
    wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in case they get a
    phone call, that's what phones are for.

    Ivor
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2006
  4. bob garbutt

    Bastard Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Bastard" <> wrote in
    > message news:448c1b8d$
    >> Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
    >> service such as this? What does the box do that my computer couldn't if
    >> they gave me the right software?

    > Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not everyone
    > wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in case they get a
    > phone call, that's what phones are for.
    >
    > Ivor
    > --

    ATA? To be honest my computer is on 24/7 anyway as I use it as a media
    centre, TV, alarm clock, server for serving some things etc. etc. so I don't
    want their box! Grr

    Thanks for the reply.

    Bastard, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh Bastard:
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bastard" <> wrote in
    >> message news:448c1b8d$
    >>> Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
    >>> service such as this? What does the box do that my computer
    >>> couldn't if they gave me the right software?

    >> Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not
    >> everyone wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in
    >> case they get a phone call, that's what phones are for.
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >> --

    > ATA? To be honest my computer is on 24/7 anyway as I use it as a media
    > centre, TV, alarm clock, server for serving some things etc. etc. so
    > I don't want their box! Grr
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.

    Very strange.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 11, 2006
  6. bob garbutt

    Bastard Guest

    > Thus spaketh Bastard:
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bastard" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:448c1b8d$
    >>>
    >>> Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not
    >>> everyone wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in
    >>> case they get a phone call, that's what phones are for.
    >>>
    >>> Ivor
    >>> --

    >> ATA? To be honest my computer is on 24/7 anyway as I use it as a media
    >> centre, TV, alarm clock, server for serving some things etc. etc. so
    >> I don't want their box! Grr
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply.

    > Very strange.

    Not really, in student halls you don't have time for a large CRT and a TV.
    When you're moving about a lot it helps to have everything in "one box".
    It's not that unusual.

    Bastard, Jun 11, 2006
  7. bob garbutt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Bastard" <> wrote in
    message news:448c39a9$
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Very strange.
    > >

    > Not really, in student halls you don't have time for a
    > large CRT and a TV. When you're moving about a lot it helps to have
    > everything in "one box". It's not that unusual.

    It's not unusual at all, it's the norm for those who know a little about
    VoIP and aren't hooked in by Skype and the like. For travelling, I have a
    Sipura 1001 ATA which has 2 accounts which can be with different providers
    if you like, it's about the size of a pack of cards. You can plug any
    ordinary landline phone into it, and it rings with a different cadence for
    each 'line' so you can tell which one is ringing.

    I do have a softphone (X-Pro) on my laptop, but I don't always want to
    leave that on. At home I have 6 VoIP lines from three different providers
    (3 x UK numbers, 1 USA number and 1 German number) all feeding into my
    PABX along with the BT line so I can select whichever one I want for an
    outgoing call from any phone in the house. Incoming calls ring different
    phones in different places depending on the time of day or where I happen
    to be, I also have a single DECT cordless phone that rings for all of them
    so I don't have to carry multiple handsets.

    BTW for those who can count (!) the 6th number is for my speaking clock,
    give it a call on 020 7043 1320 ()

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2006
  8. bob garbutt

    bob garbutt Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Bastard" <> wrote in
    > message news:448c39a9$
    >> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> Very strange.
    >>>

    >> Not really, in student halls you don't have time for a
    >> large CRT and a TV. When you're moving about a lot it helps to have
    >> everything in "one box". It's not that unusual.

    > It's not unusual at all, it's the norm for those who know a little about
    > VoIP and aren't hooked in by Skype and the like. For travelling, I have a
    > Sipura 1001 ATA which has 2 accounts which can be with different providers
    > if you like, it's about the size of a pack of cards. You can plug any
    > ordinary landline phone into it, and it rings with a different cadence for
    > each 'line' so you can tell which one is ringing.
    >
    > I do have a softphone (X-Pro) on my laptop, but I don't always want to
    > leave that on. At home I have 6 VoIP lines from three different providers
    > (3 x UK numbers, 1 USA number and 1 German number) all feeding into my
    > PABX along with the BT line so I can select whichever one I want for an
    > outgoing call from any phone in the house. Incoming calls ring different
    > phones in different places depending on the time of day or where I happen
    > to be, I also have a single DECT cordless phone that rings for all of them
    > so I don't have to carry multiple handsets.
    >
    > BTW for those who can count (!) the 6th number is for my speaking clock,
    > give it a call on 020 7043 1320 ()
    >
    > Ivor

    Opps, Sorry everyone I meant freetalk
    bob garbutt, Jun 11, 2006
  9. bob garbutt

    Phil Guest

    > Opps, Sorry everyone I meant freetalk

    Freetalk is excellent I have been with them for about 4 months and the
    service has been 100% reliable, audio quality is excellent with no delays, I
    have never phoned support so can't comment. Took me about 10 minutes to set
    up, all in all a great service. I paid for a year up front for £79.99 which
    includes the adapter. Like many VOIP services you can get a local number so
    nobody can even tell they are calling a VOIP number.
    Phil, Jun 11, 2006
  10. bob garbutt

    bob garbutt Guest

    Phil wrote:
    >> Opps, Sorry everyone I meant freetalk
    >>

    > Freetalk is excellent I have been with them for about 4 months and the
    > service has been 100% reliable, audio quality is excellent with no delays, I
    > have never phoned support so can't comment. Took me about 10 minutes to set
    > up, all in all a great service. I paid for a year up front for £79.99 which
    > includes the adapter. Like many VOIP services you can get a local number so
    > nobody can even tell they are calling a VOIP number.

    I must agree with your comments Phil, the set-up was very easy, where
    you with Telewest before you started using this service?
    bob garbutt, Jun 11, 2006
  11. bob garbutt

    Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:37:38 +0100, "Phil" <>
    wrote:

    >Freetalk is excellent I have been with them for about 4 months and the
    >service has been 100% reliable, audio quality is excellent with no delays, I
    >have never phoned support so can't comment. Took me about 10 minutes to set
    >up, all in all a great service. I paid for a year up front for £79.99 which
    >includes the adapter. Like many VOIP services you can get a local number so
    >nobody can even tell they are calling a VOIP number.

    They will not let you pay for a 2nd year after the first you have to
    go monthly I have asked them .
    , Jun 11, 2006
  12. bob garbutt

    Joe Harrison Guest

    > BTW for those who can count (!) the 6th number is for my speaking clock,
    > give it a call on 020 7043 1320 ()
    >
    > Ivor

    This was weird... I assumed that I dial this on my sipgate phone by pressing
    1431320 with no prefix. I did, and got a US-style ringing tone for about
    five rings before I hung up.

    I then immediately got an incoming call from a family member who asked why I
    just called her. Hers is a number we dial fairly often but nothing like
    1431320.

    FWIW: she called me by 1471 then pressed whatever it is for automatic call
    of the number... if you do this the CLI presented is "unknown".

    I think I must have somehow activated the Sipgate "speed-dial a contact"
    feature - I wish I knew how as that would be quite handy and I have been up
    to now unable to figure out how to do that without a computer.

    Joe
    Joe Harrison, Jun 11, 2006
  13. bob garbutt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Joe Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > > BTW for those who can count (!) the 6th number is for
    > > my speaking clock, give it a call on 020 7043 1320
    > > ()

    > This was weird... I assumed that I dial this on my
    > sipgate phone by pressing 1431320 with no prefix. I did,
    > and got a US-style ringing tone for about five rings
    > before I hung up.

    Hmm, well the ring tone is generated by your ATA, not Sipgate, the default
    on most is indeed the US. The only reason I can think of for you getting a
    ring tone is if the line is in use; the clock can only accept a single
    call at a time and it's arranged so that if it's in use when you call,
    rather than getting a busy tone, you will get ring tone until the previous
    caller clears then you will get through. The maximum time you should have
    to wait is 30 seconds, did you wait that long..?

    > I then immediately got an incoming call from a family
    > member who asked why I just called her. Hers is a number
    > we dial fairly often but nothing like 1431320
    >
    > FWIW: she called me by 1471 then pressed whatever it is
    > for automatic call of the number... if you do this the
    > CLI presented is "unknown".
    > I think I must have somehow activated the Sipgate
    > "speed-dial a contact" feature - I wish I knew how as
    > that would be quite handy and I have been up to now
    > unable to figure out how to do that without a computer.

    Speed dialling is a feature of your equipment, although the Sipgate
    website does have "click to dial" which I have never quite managed to get
    working properly, but I know others have.

    Try the clock number again, if 1431320 doesn't work, the full PSTN number
    should, don't forget the 1 is replaced by a 0, in other words 020 7043
    1320. If you get ringing, wait a minimum of 30 seconds before giving up.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2006
  14. bob garbutt

    Sean Guest

    I have a speaking clock at 01234 818 425
    Sean, Jun 12, 2006
  15. bob garbutt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > I have a speaking clock at 01234 818 425

    What type of clock..? Also what network..? Tightwads like me need to know
    if it's going to be a chargeable call or not ;-)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 12, 2006
  16. bob garbutt

    Jono Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a speaking clock at 01234 818 425

    > What type of clock..? Also what network..? Tightwads like me need to know
    > if it's going to be a chargeable call or not ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    Hehe.

    Chargeable from Sipgate............, although I presume it does have a sip
    address, which Sean would have to disclose.
    Jono, Jun 12, 2006
  17. bob garbutt

    Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:05:08 GMT, "Jono"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a speaking clock at 01234 818 425

    >> What type of clock..? Also what network..? Tightwads like me need to know
    >> if it's going to be a chargeable call or not ;-)
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    >Hehe.
    >
    >Chargeable from Sipgate............, although I presume it does have a sip
    >address, which Sean would have to disclose.

    I always thought Ivor was tight by the way he supported a no good FREE
    voip provider now he has admitted it .
    , Jun 12, 2006
  18. bob garbutt

    Sean Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a speaking clock at 01234 818 425

    > What type of clock..?

    A audible type of clock, stating the time in GMT :D

    Also what network..? Tightwads like me need to know
    > if it's going to be a chargeable call or not ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    It does have a SIP address, which i will post soon.

    Currently my system is set to only support gsm codec, which i have
    worked out most people don't use so sip to sip calls fail.

    I will soon change codec, and sort it! :D
    Sean, Jun 12, 2006
  19. bob garbutt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:05:08 GMT, "Jono"
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Hehe.
    > >
    > > Chargeable from Sipgate............, although I presume
    > > it does have a sip address, which Sean would have to
    > > disclose.

    > I always thought Ivor was tight by the way he supported a
    > no good FREE voip provider now he has admitted it .

    Yawn.........

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 13, 2006
  20. bob garbutt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have a speaking clock at 01234 818 425

    > > What type of clock..?

    > A audible type of clock, stating the time in GMT :D

    I meant what hardware/software..? Mine is a TIM2004 produced by the
    Telecommunications Heritage Group, more info and links here:

    www.g6urp.co.uk/tim2004.htm

    > Also what network..? Tightwads like me need to know
    > > if it's going to be a chargeable call or not ;-)

    > It does have a SIP address, which i will post soon.
    >
    > Currently my system is set to only support gsm codec,
    > which i have worked out most people don't use so sip to
    > sip calls fail.
    > I will soon change codec, and sort it! :D

    Thanks for the info.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 13, 2006