    Thanks...

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Nihil, Apr 26, 2004

    There's a FreeBSD UG linked off http://www.linux.net.nz

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Nihil

    whoisthis Guest

    Nihil <> wrote:

    > ..are there any currently active New Zealand based user groups out there
    > who admire BSD. Particulary FreeBSD? Any info would be nice.
    >
    > Thanks...

    Well there is every Mac user running OSX...it is BSD based

    whoisthis, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Nihil

    Nihil Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:54:54 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

    > Well there is every Mac user running OSX...it is BSD based

    Shame on me, I actually didn't know that.

    Are we talking the core of the OS or just the tcp/ip stack?

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Nihil, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Nihil

    Chris Hope Guest

    Nihil wrote:

    >> Well there is every Mac user running OSX...it is BSD based

    > Shame on me, I actually didn't know that.
    >
    > Are we talking the core of the OS or just the tcp/ip stack?

    It's the core of the OS. AFAIK it's now a pretty Mac GUI sitting on top of a
    stable and robust variant of 4.4BSD, so you can compile Unix-based software
    on your Mac.

    You can read more info at http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

    (Darwin is the name of their BSD variant)

    --
    Chris Hope
    The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Chris Hope, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Nihil

    Nihil Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:40:54 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    >> Are we talking the core of the OS or just the tcp/ip stack?

    > It's the core of the OS. AFAIK it's now a pretty Mac GUI sitting on top of a
    > stable and robust variant of 4.4BSD, so you can compile Unix-based software
    > on your Mac.
    >
    > You can read more info at http://developer.apple.com/darwin/
    >
    > (Darwin is the name of their BSD variant)

    Dude thanks for the info, I shall read more...

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Nihil, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Nihil

    Nihil Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:17:38 GMT, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <116hhumqx6qtr.10lwyajh7f710$>, Nihil <> wrote:
    >>
    >>...are there any currently active New Zealand based user groups out there
    >>who admire BSD. Particulary FreeBSD? Any info would be nice.
    >>

    > There's a FreeBSD UG linked off http://www.linux.net.nz

    Tah, I've been looking at adding a machine with FreeBSD to my LAN and may
    require some help/advice. This BSD based Apple OS looks interesting too.
    I need to do some research...

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Nihil, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Nihil

    Chris Hope Guest

    Nihil wrote:

    > Tah, I've been looking at adding a machine with FreeBSD to my LAN and may
    > require some help/advice. This BSD based Apple OS looks interesting too.
    > I need to do some research...

    It's the first time I've ever been interested in buying a Mac. You can get
    some pretty cheap eMacs that were just released a couple of weeks back.

    http://www.magnummac.co.nz/
    http://store.apple.co.nz/

    Not sure who else has them online but you can also buy Macs from Harvey
    Norman and BigByte (if you're in Auckland).

    Chris Hope, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Nihil

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    > Nihil wrote:
    >
    > > Tah, I've been looking at adding a machine with FreeBSD to my LAN and may
    > > require some help/advice. This BSD based Apple OS looks interesting too.
    > > I need to do some research...

    > It's the first time I've ever been interested in buying a Mac. You can get
    > some pretty cheap eMacs that were just released a couple of weeks back.
    >
    > http://www.magnummac.co.nz/
    > http://store.apple.co.nz/
    >
    > Not sure who else has them online but you can also buy Macs from Harvey
    > Norman and BigByte (if you're in Auckland).

    Also try www.totallymac.com, has good prices and FREE shipping.

    And yes, all new machines come with OSX which has the BSD core
    and has apache, etc etc etc installed too.

    I am happily running a squid proxy on my old G3 as well
    as Webmin, Fink, etc. Ran GIMP for a wee while...it sucked
    compared to photoshop, and open office is being ported. I
    am looking a putting php, mysql, and setting up a Blog/Wiki
    etc.

    whoisthis, Apr 28, 2004