FreeBSD 6.0 Install

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    The install went fine. Easy enough - almost identical to the Slackware,
    text-based set of install options/menus of 1994 or 2005 (same all along, I
    think).

    Upon completion, was looking at command prompt.

    OK....what about X?

    Went to FreeBSD web site and found out who to configure X.org. That took 15
    seconds. XDM was running in a few seconds more.......but XDM is VERY VERY
    basic as GUIs go. :)

    Then found you had the option of compiling from (included) source any of
    Gnome, KDE or XFce.

    Nice....but I had runout of time at that point and hadn't realised I'd need
    to compile the window manager from source. :)

    Off to do it now.

    Added attraction of the new v6.0 was that the BSD kernel now supports my
    wireless network cards.

    steve, Jan 6, 2006