Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ryan Younger, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Ryan Younger

    Ryan Younger Guest

    McAfee no longer offer the WPA supplicant for free. You can download a free
    WPA supplicant at the following address:

    http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 26, 2005

  2. they make it hard to find. scroll to the bottom of the page and click
    the link to
    http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/Downloads.do

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:49:45 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Looking at http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/WPAAssistant.do, I
    >get the impression that McAfee has scooped the freebie and it's not available
    >except bundled with their virus protection plan.
    >
    >Have I got it right?
    >
    >If not, where to get just WPAAssistant.do?
    >
    >If so, alternatives? Microsoft?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Ryan Younger

    Ryan Younger Guest

    That download is a trial version. McAfee no longer make available a free
    version.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 26, 2005
  6. Ryan Younger

    Ryan Younger Guest

    I installed this on my machine to try it out. The options you are given are
    to start a free trial, connect to a network that is already protected by
    McAfee Wireless Security or to cancel. I have placed a screendump of this
    dialog here:

    http://www.ryanyounger.plus.com/wireless/wirelesssecurity.jpg

    Ryan Younger, Nov 26, 2005
  7. what happens if you click cancel and do not show this again and
    continue?

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Ryan Younger

    Ryan Younger Guest

    The dialog dissapears and you it seems you can continue to use the program
    as usual. However the link you gave is the same link that is on the main
    page (i.e. not hard to find) and is titled 'Free 30 Day Trial':

    http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/BigRedButtonAction.do?sequenceNo=2

    I suppose the real question is what happens in 30 days time?

    Ryan Younger, Nov 26, 2005
  9. I believe it will still work. Just check the box that states don't
    show this screen again when you first set it up and select the Cancel
    button. Obviously, McAfee wants people to spend some $$$.

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Nov 26, 2005
  10. Ryan Younger

    Ryan Younger Guest

    Yes, if it is still operational after the 30 days, which is a definite
    possibility, then it is certainly ambiguous information.

    Ryan Younger, Nov 26, 2005
  11. Ryan Younger

    Mike Roberts Guest

    remmember when installing McAfee Wireless Security, choose "Disable
    Authentication" on the installation screen.

    don't forget, poorly chosen short human-readable passphrases can be
    cracked with a robust dictionary attack offline. you want a truly random
    password. here's a link to a slick password generator for wpa
    https://www.grc.com/password

    Mike Roberts, Nov 27, 2005