Free Xandros Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve Robertson, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. In article <>, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >They've released a slightly limited version for free. Well worth
    >checking out if you're looking for an easy-to-use distro. It's got a
    >nice file manager and good Windows network integration.
    >
    >http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_intro.html

    PC Authority April mag had Xandros v2 on the cover CD.
    How does it compare to (say) Mandrake??

    Steve Robertson, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    Ray Greene Guest

    Ray Greene, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Steve Robertson

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:21:51 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >>They've released a slightly limited version for free. Well worth
    >>checking out if you're looking for an easy-to-use distro. It's got a
    >>nice file manager and good Windows network integration.
    >>
    >>http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_intro.html

    >PC Authority April mag had Xandros v2 on the cover CD.
    >How does it compare to (say) Mandrake??

    I haven't tried Mandrake, but Xandros is the easiest distro to install
    and use that I've come across. I love the file manager, IMHO its the
    best app Xandros has :)

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Steve Robertson

    Howard Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:

    > How does it compare to (say) Mandrake??

    Biggest complaint I have it they _sell_ the later packages. Gimp 2.0 = USD
    $40 for example. Stick with Mandrake, for now at least.

    Howard, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > They've released a slightly limited version for free. Well worth
    > checking out if you're looking for an easy-to-use distro. It's got a
    > nice file manager and good Windows network integration.
    >
    > http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_intro.html

    ....and also includes NFS support in the File Manager....so you can use
    Unix shares instead of Windows shares if you have several linux systems
    on the LAN.

    Xandros is also good about CD-R/RW/DVD setup....and recognises USB-based
    digital cameras as you would hope it would -> when they are plugged in.

    To play commecial DVDs, you still ned to download an install the
    livdvdcss *.deb packages - which takes all of about 30 seconds.

    Xandros is a Debian-based distro....and is the descendent of Corel Linux.

    steve, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > In article <>, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>They've released a slightly limited version for free. Well worth
    >>checking out if you're looking for an easy-to-use distro. It's got a
    >>nice file manager and good Windows network integration.
    >>
    >>http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopoc/dsk_oc_intro.html

    > PC Authority April mag had Xandros v2 on the cover CD.
    > How does it compare to (say) Mandrake??

    Mandrake 9.0 was the last one I tried. Xandros 2.0 is better than that.

    Xandros is Debian-based and uses *.deb packages via 'apt'...whereas
    Mandrake is based on RedHat and uses RPMs.

    Xandros also has the best device support I've ever seen in a Linux
    distro....including successful installs on some very dodgy/cheap
    SiS-based, all-in-one integrated mobos that I could not install any
    other version of Linux on.

    For example, it installed perfectly on the PCChips M810....which has
    on-board eth0, on-board SiS-based sound and the integrated SiS video
    uses part of the system RAM as video RAM.

    Xandros installed flawlessly and all functions worked out of the box. I
    tried almost every other distro on Earth on that system - and they all
    failed by default (though some could be tweaked).

    steve, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > Steve Robertson wrote:
    >

    >>How does it compare to (say) Mandrake??

    > Biggest complaint I have it they _sell_ the later packages. Gimp 2.0 = USD
    > $40 for example. Stick with Mandrake, for now at least.

    Only if you download them from Xandros.

    If you modify your sources.list in /etc/apt, you can apt-get Gimp 2.0
    for free from some other debian package server

    Like any debian user.

    To avoid damaging the Xandros-specific packages, you would create a
    preferences file in /etc/apt that included pin values for the different
    package sources.

    There are good docs in ther Xandros Forums that cover this in detail.

    steve, Jun 10, 2004
  8. Steve Robertson

    Peter Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Mandrake 9.0 was the last one I tried. Xandros 2.0 is better than that.

    and Mandrake 10 is way better than Mandrake 9.0.

    > Xandros is Debian-based and uses *.deb packages via 'apt'...whereas
    > Mandrake is based on RedHat and uses RPMs.

    Mandrake was based on Redhat back last century, but is quite different now.
    Mandrake uses urpmi which, as far as I can tell, is equivalent to apt
    (except there isn't a NZ mirror).

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 10, 2004
  9. Steve Robertson

    Rupert Guest

    This would have to be the biggest reason why people are not moving away from
    MS. WTF is a deb? an apt? Most users don't want to piss around trying to
    understand what all this bollocks is - they just want to down load the
    program and run a setup.exe or similar.

    Now, I'm quite happy doing this, but at the moment don't have a pressing
    need to use any UNIX variations so I stay with MS - and an MS system that is
    completely stable and has NEVER been infected with spyware, malware, viruses
    or anything similar.

    However the average Noel Leeming/DSE/Harvey Normans user is not going to be
    able to cope with all this stuff. Until the vendors start agreeing on a
    common standards, thought free installs of software then there is little
    hope of replacing MS.

    Rupert, Jun 10, 2004
  10. Steve Robertson

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:26:14 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Mandrake 9.0 was the last one I tried. Xandros 2.0 is better than that.

    > and Mandrake 10 is way better than Mandrake 9.0.
    >
    >> Xandros is Debian-based and uses *.deb packages via 'apt'...whereas
    >> Mandrake is based on RedHat and uses RPMs.

    > Mandrake was based on Redhat back last century, but is quite different
    > now.

    Yeah, the first versions were basically RedHat compiled for Pentiums
    and above and with KDE added - RedHat took a while to include KDE due to
    Qt licensing issues.

    It has diverged a bit since then though :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 10, 2004
  11. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >>Mandrake 9.0 was the last one I tried. Xandros 2.0 is better than that.

    > and Mandrake 10 is way better than Mandrake 9.0.
    >

    >>Xandros is Debian-based and uses *.deb packages via 'apt'...whereas
    >>Mandrake is based on RedHat and uses RPMs.

    > Mandrake was based on Redhat back last century, but is quite different now.
    > Mandrake uses urpmi which, as far as I can tell, is equivalent to apt
    > (except there isn't a NZ mirror).
    >
    > Peter

    Ta....so is 'urpmi' able to use RedHat RPMs? Or has there also arisen
    some deviation between them?

    How reliable would the interoperation be? (Assuming it exists).

    steve, Jun 10, 2004
  12. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > This would have to be the biggest reason why people are not moving away from
    > MS. WTF is a deb? an apt? Most users don't want to piss around trying to
    > understand what all this bollocks is - they just want to down load the
    > program and run a setup.exe or similar.

    The answer is fairly straight-forward: If you don't know - ASK.

    I'm not going to post here reciting the history of computing - with
    glossary - in each post in case some newbie (or stubie) doesn't
    understand every word.

    steve, Jun 10, 2004
  13. Steve Robertson

    Rupert Guest

    Steve, you fail to realise people don't want to ask, they just want to do.
    If it's too much effort then they won't bother to ask, they will just use
    something that will suffice - which imho Windows is doing a completely
    satisfactory job.

    Rupert, Jun 10, 2004
  14. Steve Robertson

    Howard Guest

    steve wrote:

    >> Biggest complaint I have it Xandros _sell_ the later packages. Gimp 2.0
    >> = USD $40 for example. Stick with Mandrake, for now at least.

    > Only if you download them from Xandros.
    >
    > If you modify your sources.list in /etc/apt, you can apt-get Gimp 2.0
    > for free from some other debian package server
    >
    > Like any debian user.
    >
    > To avoid damaging the Xandros-specific packages, you would create a
    > preferences file in /etc/apt that included pin values for the
    > different package sources.
    >
    > There are good docs in ther Xandros Forums that cover this in detail.

    Thanks Steve. I didn't know this.

    Howard, Jun 10, 2004
  15. Steve Robertson

    brundlefly Guest

    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > This would have to be the biggest reason why people are not moving away

    from
    > MS. WTF is a deb? an apt?

    Download Xandros and find out, its just a different way of doing things with
    your hardware.
    No reason to nut off at enthusiasts.

    What impresses me here is the method of release.
    Bittorrent for free or $US10 for http download.
    Peer to peer distribution thats not piracy.
    Suck on that RIAA scum.

    brundlefly, Jun 10, 2004
  16. Steve Robertson

    brundlefly Guest

    "Howard" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > >> Biggest complaint I have it Xandros _sell_ the later packages. Gimp 2.0
    > >> = USD $40 for example. Stick with Mandrake, for now at least.

    > > Only if you download them from Xandros.
    > >
    > > If you modify your sources.list in /etc/apt, you can apt-get Gimp 2.0
    > > for free from some other debian package server
    > >
    > > Like any debian user.
    > >
    > > To avoid damaging the Xandros-specific packages, you would create a
    > > preferences file in /etc/apt that included pin values for the
    > > different package sources.
    > >
    > > There are good docs in ther Xandros Forums that cover this in detail.

    > Thanks Steve. I didn't know this.

    Thats a great feature of the Debian project, the rsynced local mirrors
    add the line
    deb http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    to /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get update
    Its hosted by citylink

    brundlefly, Jun 10, 2004
  17. Steve Robertson

    brundlefly Guest

    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > Steve, you fail to realise people don't want to ask, they just want to do.
    > If it's too much effort then they won't bother to ask, they will just use
    > something that will suffice - which imho Windows is doing a completely
    > satisfactory job.

    So why are there so many FAQ sites for Windows users ?

    brundlefly, Jun 10, 2004
  18. Steve Robertson

    Howard Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > imho Windows is doing a completely satisfactory job.

    I used to think so too. Really I did. I owned MS shares and was proud to
    think of myself as an unpaid evangilist for them. In fact I stil own the
    shares, as a hedge against MS being too sucessful with their
    "Buy-a-politician-a-day" program and they get Pallidium/TCPA mandated as
    compulsory, which I really do fear will happen.

    But today, the constant patching, & firewalling & anti-virus & anti-trojan &
    anti spyware really does make using Windows less efficient.

    I'm sick of cleaning up friends Windows PCs. I always carry around a pocket
    USB drive with the latest MS patches/AVG/Zonelarm/A2/Spybot as I'm
    invariably asked to fix my friends PCs whenever I visit.

    Just yesterday, yet another zero-day exploit for IE has been reported. Yes
    that means yet another way of remotely controlling your PC has been
    exploited, merely by using IE to visit a website. Do you know where your
    teenage son visited on the web today?
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=117316298&eid=-255

    To safeguard yourself, set IE to high security mode for the Internet Zone
    (Tools | Options | Security Tab | Drag the slider up to high)
    and then add Microsoft.com to your trusted sites zone so you can still get
    patches from Windows update.

    Then use an alternative browser from IE - get a good one here:
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.8/FirefoxSetup-0.8.exe

    And yes Linux also needs patching, but at least the patches arrive quicker.
    Firewalling is also recommended, but at least you _can_ turn off unneeded
    listening services. And your don't need anti-virus and anti-trojanware.

    The upshot of all this is I have taken the decision the me & my business I
    won't _pay_ MS any more money for their software. I might still use Office
    2000, as we have developed a lot of VBA macros to make things more
    efficient, but I won't upgrade any further.

    For most other software requirements, GPL'ed software (for Windows or Linux)
    is always good enough, usually equal and many times better than the paid
    offerings. Its getting better all the time, and at a faster rate than
    proprietary offerings.

    Howard, Jun 10, 2004
  19. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >

    >>>Biggest complaint I have it Xandros _sell_ the later packages. Gimp 2.0
    >>>= USD $40 for example. Stick with Mandrake, for now at least.

    >>Only if you download them from Xandros.
    >>
    >>If you modify your sources.list in /etc/apt, you can apt-get Gimp 2.0
    >>for free from some other debian package server
    >>
    >>Like any debian user.
    >>
    >>To avoid damaging the Xandros-specific packages, you would create a
    >>preferences file in /etc/apt that included pin values for the
    >>different package sources.
    >>
    >>There are good docs in ther Xandros Forums that cover this in detail.

    > Thanks Steve. I didn't know this.

    No worries. Happy to help. :)

    The only caveat is that if you replace libs that Xandros require for
    some of those nice, Xandros features.....then you risk breaking some of
    the functionality.

    That's why you need the preference file. It will prevent you from
    breaking things.

    The downside is that the preferences may prevent you from installing
    what you want.

    At that point, it's your call.....whether you proceed and risk breaking
    things or forego the desired ibstall and maintain the existing system.

    But at least you have the choice.

    steve, Jun 10, 2004
  20. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > Steve, you fail to realise people don't want to ask, they just want to do.

    I understand very well.....so please don't condescend.

    I also understand they don't want to do what it takes to DO properly.

    Otherwise they wouldn't be operating zombie PCs taken over by spammers.

    > If it's too much effort then they won't bother to ask, they will just use
    > something that will suffice - which imho Windows is doing a completely
    > satisfactory job.

    So they are lazy and don't REALLY want to DO at all.

    Those zombie PCs spewing out 80% of the world's spam are a clear
    indication that Windows (and many Windows users) is NOT doing a
    satisfactory job.

    I'm sorry....but I do insist on seeing the wider picture.

    It's closer to the real world to keep the whole field of play in
    view....and not just focus on the little bit that lets some ignorant
    person send a fax or write an e-mail....while their Windows PC spams the
    world.

    steve, Jun 10, 2004